View Poll Results: Which type of holster is best for OC?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • OWB/Paddle with safety strap/thumb break

9 52.94%
  • IWB with safety strap/thumb break

0 0%
  • OWB/Paddle without safety strap/thumb break

6 35.29%
  • IWB without safety strap/thumb break

2 11.76%

Thread: Which type of holster for OC?

Post imported post

This has been bothering me since I've been thinking about experimenting with a wider area of OC. Currently, when I do OC, it's mostly around the house, i.e., OUTSIDE my house, but nearby.

Since I've not gotten any negative response from neighbors and such, I thought I might try a few experiments further away. Mostly this comes down to taking off the coat at resturants and such, but it's a start.

Thing is, I usually carry in a Fobus paddle holster, which has no safety strap. I'm thinking maybe I need to change holsters for OC, in order to increase retainability.

So, vote in the poll!

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

CC is my usual mode of carry, so I use a OWB beltslide holster, which is small and very comfortable. For CC I don't worry about a strap so long as the holster is a snug fit.

When I do OC I just use the same holster because of it's comfort and the fact that it holds the pistol tight against my side, but if this were my primary means of carry, I would shop around for something with a thumb-break strap.

Post imported post

I know some of them Fobus holsters can be real hard to get the gun out, so no strap would be needed. I feel comfortable using my Uncle Mikes kydex because of the same positive retention. Sometimes it is hard for me to get it out if I don't draw with the right motion.

Bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable withouth a thumbstrap, don't do it.

Matt

Post imported post

Uncle Mike's kydex paddle w/ retention strap. Love it.

Post imported post

Well here in WV if you use an IWB holster it can be considered concealed so I play it safe with an OWB holster with strap, I just don't feel 100% safe (esp after almost dropping a gun:shock without a strap, so I use one. My $0.02.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

IMHO most paddle holsters are not good for open carry, they are pretty much designed for people who need to take them off regularly like plain clothes policemen and such. As OC is not a regular consideration for these folks they can afford the convenience of the OWB paddle without having to worry so much about someone being able to remove the gun and holster in a snatch attempt. I had a Fobus paddle for my 1911 and I found myself removing the entire holster from my belt on draws.

Of the 4 choices I selected IWB with thumbstrap. I usually carry in a OWB pancake holster with thumbstrap, but I just bought a IWB with thumbstrap for carry of a revolver. I'm thinking of using that for a backup piece.