• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which type of holster for OC?

Which type of holster is best for OC?

• OWB/Paddle with safety strap/thumb break

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IWB with safety strap/thumb break

• OWB/Paddle without safety strap/thumb break

• IWB without safety strap/thumb break

• Total voters

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

This has been bothering me since I've been thinking about experimenting with a wider area of OC. Currently, when I do OC, it's mostly around the house, i.e., OUTSIDE my house, but nearby.

Since I've not gotten any negative response from neighbors and such, I thought I might try a few experiments further away. Mostly this comes down to taking off the coat at resturants and such, but it's a start.

Thing is, I usually carry in a Fobus paddle holster, which has no safety strap. I'm thinking maybe I need to change holsters for OC, in order to increase retainability.

So, vote in the poll!

Tomahawk

imported post

CC is my usual mode of carry, so I use a OWB beltslide holster, which is small and very comfortable. For CC I don't worry about a strap so long as the holster is a snug fit.

When I do OC I just use the same holster because of it's comfort and the fact that it holds the pistol tight against my side, but if this were my primary means of carry, I would shop around for something with a thumb-break strap.

mattjohnston87

imported post

I know some of them Fobus holsters can be real hard to get the gun out, so no strap would be needed. I feel comfortable using my Uncle Mikes kydex because of the same positive retention. Sometimes it is hard for me to get it out if I don't draw with the right motion.

Bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable withouth a thumbstrap, don't do it.

Matt

badmonkey

imported post

Well here in WV if you use an IWB holster it can be considered concealed so I play it safe with an OWB holster with strap, I just don't feel 100% safe (esp after almost dropping a gun:shock:) without a strap, so I use one. My $0.02.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

IMHO most paddle holsters are not good for open carry, they are pretty much designed for people who need to take them off regularly like plain clothes policemen and such. As OC is not a regular consideration for these folks they can afford the convenience of the OWB paddle without having to worry so much about someone being able to remove the gun and holster in a snatch attempt. I had a Fobus paddle for my 1911 and I found myself removing the entire holster from my belt on draws.

Of the 4 choices I selected IWB with thumbstrap. I usually carry in a OWB pancake holster with thumbstrap, but I just bought a IWB with thumbstrap for carry of a revolver. I'm thinking of using that for a backup piece.