• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle carry/storage in Virginia?

mercutio545

imported post

I had some questions about carrying firearms in your vehicle. I was told by a gentleman at the range that if you had long guns, you could keep them in your trunk, as long as they were unloaded, in a case, and no ammunition was touching them (but if the ammo was in a pouch outside of the case, then it was OK). Is this true?

Does the same rule apply for handguns? If I keep it in my glove box, do I have to take the magazine out of it? Also, does this count as "concealing", and would I have to have a concealed handgun permit to store it in the glove box?

Just trying to clarify, so I'm within the law. Better to know, than to have your vehicle searched in a routine traffic stop and get in trouble for something you didnt know about. Thanks!

darrel_h

imported post

mercutio, as far as the long guns are concerned, i'm not sure. i'm certain someone else will be able to answer that for you. as for the handgun being in the glovebox, if you have it loaded, magazine and all, then yes it would be perfectly legal AS LONG AS you have a concealed permit. if you have a ccw you can have it anywhere you want, under your shirt, under the seat, in the glovebox. fully loaded. if you do not have a ccw then it must be in plain view, ie on the passenger seat or on the dash. and yes it can still be loaded because of virginia's wonderful open carry laws. now as for storing it in your vehicle, if you didn't want to leave it in the open like that, i think (and please correct me if i'm wrong) you would have to have the gun and ammo seperated in the vehicle. for instance, gun in the trunk and ammo in the glovebox. i'm not sure if the weapon would have to be locked up though. hope this helps and again, i'm sure plenty of people will expand on this.

tattedupboy

imported post

Ditto. Without a Virginia CCW or one from a state that Virginia honors, you can still keep a loaded and readily accessible handgun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle as long as it is not concealed. Make sure it is either holstered on your person, on the passenger seat, on the dash, or on the center console. I could be wrong but I believe that it could only be in the glovebox if the glovebox is locked. Hope this helps.

Goliath

imported post

When I used to hunt all the time, we carried our rifles up front with us. Most places don't allow you to have the rifle or shotgun loaded while on the road, but no storage requirement unless your in the national forest. Probably one of the best persons to check with on that is a Game Warden.

Goliath

zoom6zoom

imported post

I could be wrong but I believe that it could only be in the glovebox if the glovebox is locked.
I believe that would be interpreted as concealed, as it is hidden from common observation, but still readily accessible to the occupant(s) of the vehicle.