• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first time

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just read SB 92 and the NRS statutes updated with the new law and you are right. Boulder city and Nort LV are no longer grandfathered in with anything. Finally you have a uniform state law. Great!

i_chance_all

imported post

just put in a call to north las vegas police and they are looking into it and going to contact there legal.. I will post when I hear from them.. now can we get someone to check with BC.. I was shocked he was very open to look into it most police just say no you cant or that what the law was thats what it will be....

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks. The new state law states that if they don't amend their ordinances by Jan 1st then by "operation of law" the ordinances will be considered to comply with the new state law.

Erus

imported post

Count wrote:
I just read SB 92 and the NRS statutes updated with the new law and you are right. Boulder city and Nort LV are no longer grandfathered in with anything. Finally you have a uniform state law. Great!

Looking at the OCDO main page I read this:

Nevada

Summary
Nevada is atraditional open carry state with seemingly complete state preemption of firearms laws. However, several localities have passed and are enforcing "Deadly Weapons" laws which appear to conflict with the preemption laws. Were this not the case, Nevada would qualify as a "Gold Star" open carry state.

So, Moderators... All that is left is the Clark County Blue card (resident registration) issue and we get a Gold Star???? Or does the elimination, as of 01/01/08, of North Las Vegas and Boulder City's restrictions on OC mean we can have it now?

Some of us here in Nevada reallywant that nostagic validation. Well, ok I do anyway. lol

:lol:

Erus

tarzan1888

imported post

Erus wrote:
Count wrote:

Looking at the OCDO main page I read this:

Nevada

Summary
Nevada is a traditional open carry state with seemingly complete state preemption of firearms laws. However, several localities have passed and are enforcing "Deadly Weapons" laws which appear to conflict with the preemption laws. Were this not the case, Nevada would qualify as a "Gold Star" open carry state.

So, Moderators... All that is left is the Clark County Blue card (resident registration) issue and we get a Gold Star???? Or does the elimination, as of 01/01/08, of North Las Vegas and Boulder City's restrictions on OC mean we can have it now?

Some of us here in Nevada reallywant that nostagic validation. Well, ok I do anyway. lol

:lol:

Erus

Sounds good to me. :)

Tarzan

varminter22

imported post

After hearing that the Clark County officials wereplanning to NOT abide by the law as amended by SB-92 in Nevada's recent 74th legislative session, I wrote the letter quoted below.

Nearly one month has transpired and I have yet to hear from any of the action addressees.

I've heard that Clark County District Attorney David Roger did send me an email but I have not yet received it. I'm trying to get that email.

At any rate, it appears Clark County and cities therein do NOT plan to follow Nevada state law.

Many people are contemplating the next step (course of action)to ensure they will follow the law.

(letterhead)Stillwater Firearms Association[/b]
P. O. Box 665
Fallon NV
89407[/b]
December 12, 2007

District Attorney David Roger
200 S 3rd
Las Vegas NV 89155-9900

City Attorney Bradford Jerbic
400 Stewart Ave
Las Vegas NV 89101

City Attorney Carrie Torrence
2200 Civic Center Dr
North Las Vegas NV 89030

Sheriff Douglas Gillespie
3141 E Sunrise Ave
Las Vegas NV 89101

Chief Mark Paresi
1301 E Lake Mead Blvd
North Las Vegas NV 89030

Lady and Gentlemen,

As you know, the Nevada Revised Statutes concerning firearms law were recently amended in the 74[suP]th[/suP] Legislative Session, effective October 1, 2007.

Among the changes were NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222, which were amended to state:

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Further, NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222 state:

The governing body of a county/city/town may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require: (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required. (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

Lastly, Section 5 of Chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, at page 653, was amended to read as follows:

The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.

A board of county commissioners, governing body of a city and town board in a county whose population is 400,000 or more shall amend any ordinance or regulation adopted by that body before June 13, 1989, that does not conform with the provisions of NRS 244.364, as amended by section 1 of this act, NRS 268.418, as amended by section 2 of this act or NRS 269.222, as amended by section 3 of this act, as applicable, by January 1, 2008. Any ordinance or regulation that does not comply with the applicable provision by January 1, 2008, shall be deemed to conform with that provision by operation of law.

Clearly, handgun registration in Clark County was grandfathered, if amended to allow residents 72 hours and non residents 60 days in which to register.

In view of the phrase “… apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989,” it is equally clear the law does not grandfather any other county/city ordinances; indeed, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada.

We have completed a review of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas municipal codes and Clark County code (at http://www.ordlink.com/codes/lasvegas/index.htm, http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/nolasvegas/index.htm and http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm) and note the required changes are not reflected therein. Clearly, virtually all of the city/county firearms related ordinances (as posted at the above noted links) are now null, void and unenforceable.

Have the city/county ordinances been repealed/amended? Or is there a move afoot to do so as required by Nevada law? Have the sheriff and city police departments been informed that most of the ordinances are now, or on January 1, 2008 will be, null, void and unenforceable?

As we enjoy visiting your fine cities, the 424-member Stillwater Firearms Association and untold numbers of Clark County and Nevada law abiding citizens anxiously await your response.

I can be reached via email at varminter22@charter.net

Sincerely,

J. L. Rhodes
Copies to:

Governor Jim Gibbons
State Capitol
101 N Carson St
Carson City NV 89701

Attorney General Catherine Masto
100 N Carson St
Carson City Nevada 89701-4717

Senator Mike McGinness
770 Wildes Rd
FallonNV 89406-7843

Senator John Lee
3216 Villa Pisani Ct
North Las VegasNV 89031-7267

Senator Bob Beers
9428 Grenville Ave
Las VegasNV 89134-6206

Senator Warren Hardy
5070 Arville St #4
Las VegasNV 89118-4904

Assemblyman Pete Goicoechea
P O Box 97
EurekaNV 89316-0097

Assemblywoman Francis Allen
P O Box 34718
Las VegasNV 89133-4718

Assemblywoman Valerie Weber
10001 Harpoon Cl
Las VegasNV 89117-0931

Churchill County District Attorney Art Mallory
365 S Maine St
Fallon NV 89406

Mr Frank Adams
Executive Director, Nevada Sheriffs andChiefs Association
P O Box 3247
Mesquite NV 89024

Ms Carrie Herbertson
NRA ILA State & Local Affairs Division
555 Capitol Mall, Suite 625
Sacramento CA 95814

Mr Glen Caroline
NRA ILA Director, Grass Roots Division
11250 Waples Mill Rd
Fairfax VA 22030
[/b]

Of course everyone is highly encouraged to write a similar letter!!!

P. S. I should have included Henderson NV in the letter. Also, note it has been reported that North Las Vegas Chief of Police Mark Paresi has resigned.

P. P. S. Nevada Law Library is here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/law1.cfm

Erus

imported post

Great. It hardly ever surprizes me anymore that WE always have to obey the law, but the government gets to argue and decline to do so.

Guess we'll have to keep watching and see.

:banghead:

Erus

varminter22

imported post

Count wrote:
Thanks. The new state law states that if they don't amend their ordinances by Jan 1st then by "operation of law" the ordinances will be considered to comply with the new state law.
True enough. That is what it says.

BUT do YOU trust the "authorities" in Clark County recognize that? It certainly appears they do not recognize that.

Personally, I would rather they comply with Nevada law and repeal ALL of their currently unlawful firearms related ordinances.

It would be quite simple - repeal all firearms related ordinances with the notable exception of their handgun registration scheme which was grandfathered. State and federal law adequately covers all other issues.

varminter22

imported post

Title 12 of the Clark County code can be found here: http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm

The recent amendment has not yet been incorporated into the above website. The recently (December 4, 2007) enactedamendment (Bill 11-20-07-1) is here: http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/clerk/pdf/Amends/3571.pdf

Note the amendment does NOT address the vast majority of (now illegal) firearms related ordinances.

For example,see 12.04.080 (http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm) which states:
12.04.080 Time between sale and delivery of pistol.
When any sale of a pistol is made by a dealer under this chapter, seventy-two hours must elapse between the time of sale and the time of delivery to the purchaser. When delivered, all pistols must be securely wrapped and be unloaded, and must be accompanied by a receipt signed by the dealer, setting forth the name, address, and description of the purchaser or transferee, a complete description of the pistol (including the manufacturer, model and manufacturer’s serial number thereof), the date and time of sale, and the date and time of delivery, of such pistol, and advise to the purchaser or transferee that the pistol must be registered with the sheriff within twenty-four hours. (Ord. 242 § 8, 1965)
Clearly, this is NOT harmonious with current Nevada law; the Nevada legislature reserves for itself the right to regulate ...

And, it must be noted, state and federal law more than adequately covers this situation. To purchase a firearm in Nevada, you either (a) pay a $25 fee for the NICS check, or (b) present a valid Nevada CCW permit, and you complete the transaction and you take the firearm with you.

Another good example, see 12.04.160 (http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm) which states:
12.04.160 Condition of pistols sold.
All secondhand and used pistols, except antique pieces, sold or purchased, shall be in a safe and operable condition. (Ord. 242 § 16, 1965)

This too is clearly in violation of current Nevada law. Does this ordinance serve a purpose? If a person wishes to (knowingly) purchase an inoperable pistol for the purpose of collecting or making repairs in order to use it, why not?? Again, state and federal law should prevail as intended by our legislature.

Indeed, I believe virtually all of Title 12 relating to firearms is unlawful in accordance with Section 5 of Chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, at page 653, which says:
The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.
with the exception of the handgun registration ordinance that our legislature grandfathered. (I believe that to be unconstitutional, but our legislature DID grandfather the Clark County handgun registration ordinance after being HEAVILY lobbied by the Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n.)

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you guys from Nevada can get the author of SB 92 to have a press conference ref. these cities not complying that would help greatly. We did a similar thing a few years back reference a now outdated traveling law in Texas and it helped alot.

varminter22

imported post

Thanks, Count. Good idea.

And more action appears necessary. See latest reply from the Clark County DA's office:
Hello,

I appreciate your perspective. Different provisions of the statute,
when read separately, certainly can lead to different conclusions.
Accordingly, I reviewed the legislative history (as is appropriate when
dealing with an ambiguous statute). While the bill definitely started
out as a total preemption bill, the history makes clear that the
legislators added language that they intended to work a compromise with
law enforcement to allow the continuation of the ordinances in Clark
County, provided they were amended to address the transient possession
issues.

If you receive Attorney General direction to the contrary, please so
advise me, and we will reconsider our ordinance. I will also bring your
concerns to our legislative staff.

Mary-Anne Miller
County Counsel
Office of the District Attorney
Clark County, Nevada
(702) 455-4761
millerm@co.clark.nv.us
I am still seeking an education concerning why the law doesn't mean what it says.

Win or lose, there will be more to come on this issue.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For Clark County (not NLV or BC), the only update the applies is NRS 244.364, which clarifies the registration requirement....you must be a resident for 60+ days and must register within 72 hours.

I read and reread the enacted bill and I can't find anything about preemption of anything BUT the registration laws.

Who cares about the blue card if we still have the dangerous NLV and BC laws on the books?

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
For Clark County (not NLV or BC), the only update the applies is NRS 244.364, which clarifies the registration requirement....you must be a resident for 60+ days and must register within 72 hours.

I read and reread the enacted bill and I can't find anything about preemption of anything BUT the registration laws.

Who cares about the blue card if we still have the dangerous NLV and BC laws on the books?

Oh???

What about:

A board of county commissioners, governing body of a city and town board in a county whose population is 400,000 or more shall amend any ordinance or regulation adopted by that body before June 13, 1989, that does not conform with the provisions of NRS 244.364, as amended by section 1 of this act, NRS 268.418, as amended by section 2 of this act or NRS 269.222, as amended by section 3 of this act, as applicable, by January 1, 2008. Any ordinance or regulation that does not comply with the applicable provision by January 1, 2008, shall be deemed to conform with that provision by operation of law.
This is the SAME statute that (prior to Oct 1, 2007) GRANDFATHERED all of Clark County ordinances.

Now it is amended to say ALL ordinances BEFORE June 13, 1989.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps my confusion was that I couldn't actually find online Chapter 308 of the 1989 statutes. However, in looking at the three law sections below, I see clearly that each was added to law by Page 652 of the 1989 Statutes.

I didn't understand since the 1989 addition mentioned the "on or after June 13, 1989" but it's not listed on the current NRS. So if the original addition to law was amended, changing it from "on or after" to "before, on or after", it preempts the two local laws. This would have applied immediately upon being enacted, right? So as of October 1, the North Las Vegas and Boulder City laws were illegal and in conflict with state law.

Then lastly, the registration issue, Clark County had until January 1 to revise its code to conform to the clarified registration, which remains, but is relaxed slightly.

I think I get it now...:celebrate

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So who wants to have a meetup in Boulder City? They have this incredibly unconstitutional law on the books:
No person except a sheriff, constable or police officer shall fire or discharge any firearms or air guns of any description within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or other public place or have any firearms or air gun in his possession within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or public place unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case
It's hidden in what seems to be a "legal" law, Title 7, Chapter 1, Section 3 "DISCHARGING FIREARMS, AIR GUNS"

timf343 wrote:
...So as of October 1, the North Las Vegas and Boulder City laws were illegal and in conflict with state law...

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am looking at SB 92 (the enrolled version) and that only requires the registration ordinances to change, it does not require NLV and Boulder city to change their ordinances reference the other matters. I just read the entire bill and it refers to those cities, counties, or townships having to change the ordinances they had before, to bein accordance with Section 1, 2, and 3 of this SB 92, which onlyrequires theregistration ordinances to be amended. Before you decide to meat in Boulder city and get arrested, please read the bill and let's discuss it here.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Count wrote:
...in accordance with Section 1, 2, and 3 of this SB 92...

I read that and interpreted it to mean that counties, cities and towns have until January 1 to revise their laws regarding registration. Otherwise, state preemption law takes effect and supercedes local laws effective October 1. On June 13, 1989, the legislature added the three code sections we're discussing. They were brand new preemption laws that took effect, but they only pre-empted laws created in counties, cities, or towns on or after June 13, 1989. The Boulder City and North Las Vegas weapons laws were on the books, and the Clark County registration law was on the books.

On October 1, 2007, the legislature amended the three sections to include guidelines for how registration is to be regulated (60+ days residency, within 72 hours upon receipt of new gun). They also changed amended the preemption instructions from the original 1989 law (Chapter 308, Section 5) as follows:
So, while the bulk of the text in SB92 seeked to clarify the registration of firearms in Clark county, the one line above, amending the original act effectively preempt the Boulder City and NLV laws. I believe my interpretation (after varminter helped clear it up) is correct. Do you see it differently Count? Trust me, I don't want to get arrested, but I'm willing to go through the court process of having the state enforce its laws in Boulder City and North Las Vegas.

Tim

varminter22

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Count wrote:
...in accordance with Section 1, 2, and 3 of this SB 92...

I read that and interpreted it to mean that counties, cities and towns have until January 1 to revise their laws regarding registration. Otherwise, state preemption law takes effect and supercedes local laws effective October 1. On June 13, 1989, the legislature added the three code sections we're discussing. They were brand new preemption laws that took effect, but they only pre-empted laws created in counties, cities, or towns on or after June 13, 1989. The Boulder City and North Las Vegas weapons laws were on the books, and the Clark County registration law was on the books.

On October 1, 2007, the legislature amended the three sections to include guidelines for how registration is to be regulated (60+ days residency, within 72 hours upon receipt of new gun). They also changed amended the preemption instructions from the original 1989 law (Chapter 308, Section 5) as follows:
So, while the bulk of the text in SB92 seeked to clarify the registration of firearms in Clark county, the one line above, amending the original act effectively preempt the Boulder City and NLV laws. I believe my interpretation (after varminter helped clear it up) is correct. Do you see it differently Count? Trust me, I don't want to get arrested, but I'm willing to go through the court process of having the state enforce its laws in Boulder City and North Las Vegas.

Tim

Go to www.leg.state.nv.us/law1.cfmand look up each statute.

SB-92 amended more than one statute.

Read them all,paying close attention to the statute that says "before, on or after." In this statute, there is no reference to qualifying "poplulations" or the like.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am affraid I still have to read it as only applying to registration. Moreover, the legislative digest states that it refers registration. So, I suggest getting hold of the author of the bill and finding out the legislative intent.