• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot by intruder posing as FBI agent

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/30/06 A south Fulton County homeowner was shot early Monday by a masked intruder claiming to be an FBI agent, police said.
The suspect kicked in the back door of the home on Hidden Court, in a subdivision off Welcome All Road, about 4 a.m., setting off the home's burglar alarm, Fulton police Cpl. Gary Syblis said.
The 53-year-old victim told police he got out of bed and heard the suspect coming up the stairs, yelling, "FBI, FBI, FBI," Syblis said.
Syblis said the homeowner confronted the suspect, who was wearing a ski mask and dark clothing.
The suspect fired four times, striking the victim once in the stomach. The victim returned fire, but apparently did not hit the suspect, who fled the home after the shooting.
The victim, whose name has not been released, was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.

reefteach

imported post

My security system is so loud, I wouldn't be able to hear anything an intruder says. The Surefire on my XD would help to ID anyone.

Strange story.

PaulB

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There is no way I'm going to hold fire when someone busts a door down shouting "FBI"! I don't much care if he is or isn't. I suspect agents take an oath to defend the Constitution, so any of them who get shot busting down doors deserve it. Can you tell I am getting tired of our budding police state? :X

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like a good case for better doors. gives you a little more time for target identification and acquisition.

also gives you time to call 911 and see if it really is a cop breaking down your door.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ilbob wrote:
Sounds like a good case for better doors. gives you a little more time for target identification and acquisition.

also gives you time to call 911 and see if it really is a cop breaking down your door.
Have you watched the SWAT reality TV series?When "breaking and entering" they plan it carefully so that the people inside don't have any time at all to react. If there are bars on the doors and windows they pull them off with grappling hooks attached to armored personnel carriers, and NO door can stand up to the rams theyuse to get in. Myadvice to you if you hear a LOUD crashing followed by shouts of "Police!" is to stand down unless you want to be shot by the police. You would need a multilayered warning system for your suggestion to be practical, preferably an estate with fences, perimeter alarms and armed patrolling guards, but then that would be a tad paranoid (unless you're a wealthy drug dealer).

vtme_grad98

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
ilbob wrote:

Have you watched the SWAT reality TV series?When "breaking and entering" they plan it carefully so that the people inside don't have any time at all to react. If there are bars on the doors and windows they pull them off with grappling hooks attached to armored personnel carriers, and NO door can stand up to the rams theyuse to get in. Myadvice to you if you hear a LOUD crashing followed by shouts of "Police!" is to stand down unless you want to be shot by the police. You would need a multilayered warning system for your suggestion to be practical, preferably an estate with fences, perimeter alarms and armed patrolling guards, but then that would be a tad paranoid (unless you're a wealthy drug dealer).
However, if there is only 1 or 2 people entering, and it isn't that rapid and sudden, it's entirely likely that it isn't actually police that are entering your home.

PaulB

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My advice to you if you hear a LOUD crashing followed by shouts of "Police!" is to stand down unless you want to be shot by the police.
Well, home invasion robbers are also capable of busting down doors with a loud crash.

Your advice is probably fairly reasonable if staying alive is your only concern. Preventing your wife getting raped might make it less reasonable. You really have no reliable way to distinguish cops from bad guys, and any bad guy with half a brain is going to emulate a cop going in. And this discussion is probably moot anyway, because you won't have time to think. You will either freeze like a deer in the headlights, or you will go into fight mode.

There is also the issue of how much we want to put up with police state tactics. At some point you have to put your foot down. My point is my front door; my home is my castle. If I die, so what? I am going to die some day anyway. Better in a fight, defending my family, than on my knees, or in bed with cancer. With any luck I'll be taking one or two of them with me.

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? . . ."
-- Alexander Solzhenitsyn, "The Gulag Archipelago"

By definition, anyone who breaks your door down is a criminal who deserves to die. Even (or especially) if he gets his paycheck from government.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Agreed. If the cops need to take me into custody for some reason, they should just either try knocking at a reasonable time of day, pull me over on the way to work, or just have our security guards come get me during the work day.

Ground Chuk

imported post

If you think about this for a minute, you will see that if the police are going to be knocking your door down, it is because of something serious you have done, and have a warrant out for your arrest.

If you haven't done anything that would cause this type of entrance, then shoot first. It is probably bad guys.

If the police have the wrong address, sorry for them.

There is NO reason for the police to break my door down to arrest me. So anyone doing that and saying they are police are obviously not.

Meathook

imported post

I can think of few if any reason for a no knock warrant. I was watching a SWAT show today and they were executing these warrants on drug dealers. I know there is the whole destroying the evidence worry but one house they got shot at when they went in and then guy killed himself. The other there were two young babies in the house.
There has to be a better way. Someone comes busting in my house at night I don't care what they are screaming I will err on the side of protecting my family because they are either in the wrong house or they are there with less than honorable intent.

glocknroll

imported post

I would be real interested in what this guys neighbors are up to. This could have been an attempted robbery of a drug dealer, but the bad guy got the wrong house.

Meathook

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Ground Chuk wrote:

There is NO reason for the police to break my door down to arrest me. So anyone doing that and saying they are police are obviously not.

Or they have the wrong house!:what:

Happens more than you might think and people HAVE been wrongly killed due to these illegal no-knock-warrants.
Worth a look http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

chefman

imported post

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to chime in here. Didn't the article say the"FBI agent" was wearing a ski mask and dark clothing? Was he "posing" as a BG or what? I believe I would have thought about firing as well.:?