• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot by intruder posing as FBI agent

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

Hi Chefman, Welcome aboard!

Yeah, I'm prety sure the consensus is that if someone bursts into your home 'guns a blazen' then the response would be to act accordingly.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I often have wondered what percentage of home invasion and murder at homevictims died because the crook claimed to be some kind of cop. A lot of them let the perps in.

I do know one thing. Someone shows up unexpectedly on my door step, not in uniform and no identifiable squad car parked in the driveway, he won't get in until a call to 911 confirms his identity.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Just wanted to point out that this isn't complete information. There's at least one raid missing from the list (I'm guessing a LOT more). I know of a guy in Oakdale, CA that had his home raided in the early or mid-90s. They were there looking for drugs and a convicted felon believed to be at that address.

He thought he was being robbed, and resisted, causing the officers to break both his legs while trying to control him. Turns out they transposed a number in the address on the warrent, and nobody at the court noticed the error. So, they actually did have a warrent for his address, and he never did get restitution (that I know of).

CA law states that you can use lethal force if a "reasonable" person would be in fear of their life. The law further states that if this occurs during a forced entry to your home, the court's assumption will be that you reasonbly felt this fear. The burden is on the prosecutor to prove you did NOT act out of fear. I think that would be a tall order for a prosecutor to fill.

Then again, you would almost certainly be dead, so there would be no hearing...