• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you and your friends subscribed to VCDL.org's VA-ALERT yet?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

No state group is watching over open carry rights as much as VCDL.org, at least as far as I know.

I have a theory that if the VCDL website was modified to make it more clear how to quickly sign up for VA-ALERTS that many more folks would sign up.

Also, I have a theory that if the VCDL.org google score was as high as OCDO's, that even more people would find VCDL, become aware of it, becasue VCDL.org would pop up on google searches near the top of the search results, and then subscribe to the VA-ALERTS, and learn more about OpenCarry.

I think folks can help raise VCDL's web site google rating by linking to VCDL.org using a hyperlink entitled somthing likely to be searched, i.e., "Virginia gun rights," "Virginia gun group," etc.

VAopencarry

imported post

I agree the website could use some revamping.

What do you mean by linking to VCDL site, for the regular person. Like adding a link in a signature line?

razorblade

imported post

Mike wrote:
No, like from your web site, or a web site you control or influence, get them to add a VCDl link as I described.
yeah, it's almost like saying "here is a list of my friend's sites, why don't you visit one of them" kind of deal.

I think any Virginia resident that carries (whether open or concealed) should subscribe. It really opens your eyes as to what goes on in this state, the good and the bad.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I thought Longwatch was the official VCDL pimp for this site. :D .....I am an active membership pimper.
I am the VCDL meeting pimp, Mike aka Supermoderator is the super membership pimp.

VAopencarry

imported post

longwatch wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
I thought Longwatch was the official VCDL pimp for this site. :D .....I am an active membership pimper.
I am the VCDL meeting pimp, Mike aka Supermoderator is the super membership pimp.
You're right, I overlooked that detail.:shock:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

It's never too late to promote VA-ALERT membership among your friends, family, and associates in VA and around the world!

Try putting this into your email signature line:

Have you remembered to sign up for the VA-ALERTyet?

If not, what are you waiting for? It's FREE!

Just click http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Don't let the fact that you don't live in VA stop you! The alerts may give you ideas for action in your own state or foreign country!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I agree the website could use some revamping.

I am the VCDL webmaster, so any ideas you have ... plug away. I am working now to make the VA-ALERT signup more prominent on the VCDL main page as Mike suggested as well as a few other ideas he has had. What other ideas do you have?

rabbit994

imported post

I had a couple of them jpierce, the biggest is to stop the site framing system from "link cloaking". It's hard to pass off links to friends in IRC or IM or different web pages to link to VCDL site. For example, I can't link to VA-Alert (very helpful when passing around to friends)

Online membership system would be super.

I mentioned both of these to Andrew one day at an OC meeting. He suggested I work on one myself (I have limited web programing skills in ASP.Net 2)

Back to linking system, this is link my system creates for VA-Alerts: http://manager.escapedrabbit.com/vcdl/vaalert.aspx?id=6

This system allows me to go online and when I mention something to a friend like this on Instant Messages:
Rabbit: "Did you hear about Miller Campaign problems?"
Friend: "No way, what's up?"
Rabbit: "Read VA-Alert"
Rabbit: "http://manager.escapedrabbit.com/vcdl/vaalert.aspx?id=6"
Friend: "No freaking way, I'll show my other friend"

That type of system allows for viral word of mouth.

PS, I was developing an entire member management system that was presentable for both members to use (online updating of addresses, renewing membership online, ordering membership online, allow EM and above to search for members, look at their email address and so on)

This system wasn't endorsed by anyone just Me seeing a need and desire to play with some fun toys.

If you want to talk further, email is the best way to find me. It's in my profile so you should be able to pull it out of it as an admin. ;)

Email is for older guys and for younger guys like me, IM and other methods of communicate is where it's at. Being able to pass around links to one part of VCDL website would be a HUGE advantage.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm glad Rabbit spoke up about VCDL's website. I think the site looks great, it's just that when compared to a page like OFCCs http://www.ohioccw.org/, it seems a little bit static. Something I've felt for a long time is that VCDL really needs is it's own forum. OCDO in a way has become the defacto forum for members but its not a big enough umbrella for all VCDL members to fit under. RSS and podcasts are also media that VCDL should employ too.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
+1 on a VCDL forum. I love this OCDO but like longwatch said, it is not applicable for a lot of members.
That is something I have suggested several times over the years. However, the board has vetoed the idea for the simple reason that it would be very simple for an anti to join the forum (even if that required joining VCDL) and then post offensive material which could then be captured and used by the anti's in the GA & the press to portray us as extremists.

It is far better to have OCDO (which is operated by Mike & I who are two VCDL EM's) and is contributed to by a lot of the VCDL EMs & active members, but is not affiliated with VCDL in any capacity. Therefore, if we get trolls or anti's causing trouble (or a well meaning member who speaks out of anger), their comments cannot be used against anyone except us here at OCDO.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Even though I check the VCDL site most every day, I just signed up for the e-mail alert. Never hurts to help the cause and numbers. Online renewals would be nice, but I don't mind dropping a letter (and a check) in the the mailbox.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Even though I check the VCDL site most every day, I just signed up for the e-mail alert. Never hurts to help the cause and numbers. Online renewals would be nice, but I don't mind dropping a letter (and a check) in the the mailbox.
You can renew online using PayPal at

http://www.vcdl.org/static/signup.html