• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB holsters

reefteach

imported post

They aren't bad if you wear pants that are too big for you.I just lost some weight soI have lots of those.

Sitting down is more uncomfortable than standing, so when you try some out at a store, be sure to ask if you can sit in a chair.

357luvr

imported post

I wear pants that are about inch (maybe) too big for me. I'm 21 (turning 22 November 9th) and I went out and bought some pants that actually fit me after I lost some weight recently. I probably have a ~31 1/2 and usually wear either size 32's or 33" pants. Would this be enough to hold an XD40 subcompact comfortably IWB?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Better concealed, yes. Comfortable, no. If youare not built like a Navy Seal, you will get poked in the side - all of the time. Ialso find that the holster shifts the pants to one side which tends to get your knickers in a twist.:shock:

LoveMyCountry

molonlabetn

imported post

357luvr wrote:
How comfortable are the IWB holsters? It would seem to be that they would be fairly uncomfortable. What's your opinion?

IWB holsters are best relegated to use in conjunction with SLIM pistols, i.e. 1911-types, Kahr, etc... The thicker double-stack pistols will be more obtrusive in your pants. I, personally,can be very comfortable withmy full-size 1911 in just a cheap, soft Uncle-Mikes IWB for hours in any position, but the 5" XD 'digs' into me in the same holster. Reinforced leather or kydex is a must for comfort with bulkier pistols (regardless of barrel length).

Agood holster and belt goes a long way in making even large-pistols dissappear without much discomfort. I haven't personally tried all of the examples below, but can attest to the comfort and ease-of-carry & draw of the Don Hume products, and the Bianchi products... If I were to buy one of these which I have not tried, it would likely be the Milt-Sparks VM-2, based on favorable reports from many owners with similar guns and build as me.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=56

http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=35

http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html

http://www.blade-tech.com/Blade-Tech-Ultimate-Concealment-Holster-pr-821.html

http://www.desantisholster.com/057.html

http://www.desantisholster.com/031.html

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100

molonlabetn

smo

imported post

Ya know, I bought an IWD tuckable for my XD9SC, and for the first week I hated it. However, I kept wearing it while at school (yes, carrying at school is legal in UT) because I prefer not to draw attention to myself at school. Although legal, plenty of school officials would prefer it not be, and I just don't want the attention....

Anyway, long story short, after about a week of wearing it, I now don't even notice it's there anymore. I used to switch to a paddle holster after school, but anymore I just leave the IWB there. Works for me.

With a larger gun though, I could see how it would be a pain the ... (literally)

ken101

imported post

IWB can be very comfortable. It depends on the holster, the gun, and your body type.

I find carrying a Kimber Compact in a Sparks VMII to be more comfortable than carrying it OWB. Of course, you also need your pants a bit looser.

The VMII is often considered one of the most comfortable holsters. I have heard some comments, however, that it depends on the gun. Some say they are only fair for Glocks. Unfortunately, the VMII is not cheap and can be hard to find. A few outfits do stock them, generally for the 1911 configurations, but you pay a premium, or you can wait 4-5 months for one from Milt Sparks.

I'm not saying that the VMII is the only good IWB holster, but it's considered one of the most comfortable.

Ken

357luvr

imported post

I was mainly interested in Galco's 'sky-ops' holster. It's about $100 from galco. If I get a IWB holster, it'll be for either my Sig 229 or my new Glock 20. I'm going to be getting the G20 here in a couple hours.:D:cool::DAnyway, I was hoping to find a relatively cheap IWB holster that I could try out. My local gun store only has Uncle Mike's holster and I've looked at that and it SUUUUUCKS! I want more retention than just a simple clip. I guess I could buy a UM IWB holster just see if that type of holster will work for me but I just hate wasting money, even $15. Any suggestions on a cheap but well secured IWB holster?

hirundo82

imported post

While I find it much more comfortable to use an OWB holster (IWB sometimes digs into my leg and pushes on my sciatic nerve, and if I carry that way for too long my SI joint starts to hurt), IWB is sometimes the only way to carry.

When I need to deeply conceal, I use a CTAC by Comp-Tac. They get our holster to you very fast--less than 10 days--and they have great customer service.

I have one of their CTAC Slide models that I use to carry a Glock 17 or 19, and am planning on buying one for my new 1911 as I don't think I can effectively conceal a 5" 1911 OWB (a reason that we need OC here in TX).

Agent6-3/8

imported post

I carry my Colt Detective Special IWB in a Bianchi Model 100. I have no seriouscomplaints as far as comfort goes. I don't care much for the particular holster though as it goes flat when you draw (making reholstering a pain) and adds unneed thickness to the gun. I highly recommend an IWB holster that fastens to your belt on the sides instead of directly on theholster itself. (like the Milt Sparks VM2)

I will admit that OWB is more comfortable though.

panamint

imported post

I carry a Ruger SP101 in a left hand IWB holster, but use it on the outside of my right side.

Scott

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a 1911 IWB over half the time. Get a quality holster from a name that is trusted. I first got a nylon IWB because I wanted to try it without spending too much money. That was the most uncomfortable holster I have had. I later spent about an hour and a half at a booth in the Fredericksburg gun show trying on a couple of holsters and moving around. Found one that was fairly comfortable. Took about another week to break in my body for the holster :lol:.
I sometimes forget it's there now. It holds the gun nice and tight and I can wear it all day without a problem. Once this one wears out I will most likely replace it with one that is wider and connects to the belt on either side of the gun to further reduce the bulk (still thinner than owb).

mserr

imported post

I bought a galco summer comfort IWB holster for my g23, thing was absolute crap. it stuck out, poked my side all day, shifted all day, it actualy flopped out of the inside of my pants to the outside. Reinstalled my clipdraw after 1 day.

IanB

imported post

In my experience IWB holsters work best with full size service pistols. You need the length of a service pistol when carrying IWB, it just doesn't work right with a compact or subcompact.

I carry a full size Sig 226 and full size HK USP IWB all the time with no problem. But, I refuse to carry my Glock 26 IWB as its small size causes problems. (flopping out of my pants as mentioned above)

I have never had problems with comfort either, as long as the holster is placed "in the right spot". This "spot" is subjective and different for every person. If you get an IWB holster you are going to want to spend a bit of time trying different locations to attach it to your belt. Wear it in one location for a few hours and do normal things like stand, kneel, bend over, etc.

The real test for IWB comfort is can you sit in the drivers seat of a car (if right hand draw) and attach a seat belt while still being comfortable. Can you draw your weapon with the seat belt on?

Another suggestion is wear a shirt tucked into your pants UNDERNEATH your outer garment. I know this is not fun in the summer to wear two shirts but you WILL notice a big difference in comfort.

sdelam

imported post

I carry a glock 19/26 IWB in a cross breed supertuck. I prefer it over OWB because it conceales sooooooo much better and dosent sag like some OWB holsters i've tried.

SpringfieldXD.40

imported post

357luvr wrote:
I wear pants that are about inch (maybe) too big for me. I'm 21 (turning 22 November 9th) and I went out and bought some pants that actually fit me after I lost some weight recently. I probably have a ~31 1/2 and usually wear either size 32's or 33" pants. Would this be enough to hold an XD40 subcompact comfortably IWB?
Wouldn't be a problem at all. I am 5'10- 150 lbs with a 30-31" waist and I conceal my XD40Service model with ease. If you are thinking about something for your XD only, check out http://www.xdtalk.com. The forum is full of great people willing to help. Check out the forum sponsors, mainly PISTOLGEAR. I'm sure you can find something to your liking on there.....