• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB holsters

ChronoSphere

imported post

I have a simple Uncle Mike's IWB holster for my HKP2000 .40S&W that I've used to carry for the past 3 years now pretty comfortably, thats a compact double-stack pistol. I've always bought my pants an inch or two bigger and with the pistol fits comfortably.

Only recently has the pistol started to poke into my side and scratch my skin, due to the grip texture (gained a little weight after I turned 22 :D). I typically wear a white tshirt tucked into my pants / shorts, a polo over that untucked with the gun sandwiched in between.

Like everyone else says, try it out, its very dependant on your mode of clothing and body type.

UtahConcealer

imported post

sdelam wrote:
I carry a glock 19/26 IWB in a cross breed supertuck. I prefer it over OWB because it conceales sooooooo much better and dosent sag like some OWB holsters i've tried.
+1000 on the crossbreed supertuck. I carry my XD40SC daily in the supertuck and it's more comfortable to me than a OWB. The guy hand makes each holster and is in HIGH demand so the wait is a long 8-9 weeks, but the price is right <about $60> and the quality is great. Lifetime warranty on it, and I forget I'm wearing it after about 10 minutes. Even long trips in the car, don't even notice it.

www.crossbreedholsters.com

CHECK IT OUT!

HerbM

imported post

It must vary by individual and the holster/firearm combo since many people in this thread are reporting things that just aren't the case for everyone.

"Must be thin", "must be full size", "must have pants too big" (they cannot however be too small <grin>", "not really conformatable", etc.

A Glock 30 which breaks at least two of the above (thick as a G21, and short) just about disappears* all day when worn with the right holster for the individual.

* By disappear here I mean it is so comfortable that you can all but forget it is there as far are poking your or pressure is concerned -- and it visually disappears to others as well.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I use a Crossbreed (others have posted praises for this maker as well, and for good reason) QwikClip for my XD45 Service, and I hardly know it's there. I'm not such a big guy that a full-size .45 is an ideal carry choice, according to some, but it becomes unnoticable both to me and others. A friend who knows I carry can't even tell when I use that.
Of course, that particular holster isn't for everyone. Try a few decent IWBs. There's one for just about everyone. Also, you'll still want to use a decent belt. I've been known to carry IWB without a belt, but everything rides even more comfortably with a good belt.

And don't neglect to try different cants. I generally use either an FBI cant or something a bit farther canted, but some have better luck with a straight drop or a crossdraw (neither of which work quite as well for me as I'd like).
[/align]

norahc

imported post

I've carried a Glock 30 and a Glock 23 in a DeSantis Tuck This holster on a daily basis for over a year now. Occasionally, it's been uncomfortable, but it conceals very well with the right shirt which is a good thing because my employer does not allow me to carry weapons while working. :cuss:

Mjolnir

imported post

Comp-Tac makes some superb comfortable IWB holsters. Take a look at the CTAC 1st & then go from there.

Mjolnir

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Milt Sparks Versa-Max II.
Hands down the best. Tried 'em all, never found a better one. Way more comfortable than the comp tac.

I've carried a G23 or a 1911 daily for 7 years in a VMII.
Yes the VMII is a good holster and some people think it's the greatest, no doubt about it.

I've been CCWing a customized 1911 (Don Williams) since 94 in a Rosen ARG. It's not a bad rig and can be quite comfortable, but to me not as comfortable as my CTAC is with a P229.

For open carry I have a couple blade tech holsters & one of the orginal Safariland 6004's for a 92F that has seen some hard use. I'd like to get a Tucker rig one of these days as everybody I know who has em loves em. However, my taste has changed from leather to kydex when it comes to concealing a pistol, IMHO kydex just can not be beat.

Everybody has different tastes and what works for one person might not work for somebody else.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

357luvr wrote:
I wear pants that are about inch (maybe) too big for me. I'm 21 (turning 22 November 9th) and I went out and bought some pants that actually fit me after I lost some weight recently. I probably have a ~31 1/2 and usually wear either size 32's or 33" pants. Would this be enough to hold an XD40 subcompact comfortably IWB?
If you are wearing 32 size waist and your waist is actually 31.5, I hope you have some vaseline on hand incase you need to draw your firearm.

I would personally opt for the 33in waist, I bought a pair of shorts about 2.5 inchies too large in the waist so I could cc with an iwb holster, the holster itself is nylon/kydex and is very comfortable while standing/walking, and it almost as comfortable sitting down, but again, this is how your body is shaped and different people will have different experiences with them.

It is also very dependent on what type of gun you carry, I would not suggest a 1911 :) however your gun might work fine, see if a fried you know has a iwb you can try out for a day or so running errands.

Trying it out at the store and sitting a chair is helpful, but you will contort your body in many different ways trying to get in and out of vehicles, going up and down stairs, and many other routine activities, so I would suggest borrowing one from a friend, if you can, to see if you like it.

Tomahawk

imported post

I have a cheapo suede Bianci thumbreak IWB holster I bought when I bought my 1911. I figured that would do until I get the holster I really want. I have not had great experiences with IWB holsters, I tend to find them uncomfortable, but this cheapo seems to work pretty well. It has a good metal belt clip on it and the suede is fairly comfortable. But I have found that the key to wearng it comfortably is to wear it under the belt but outside the pants. Makes it easier to slide it forward or backward for comfort when changing seated or standing positions, and it also makes it easier to slip on and off when I am running out the door or if I have to disarm in my car and stick it in the car safe. Also, when OC'ing the entire holster is visible, and it's nice and snug against my side. I think I'll keep it.

This is it: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=6D

6D_l.jpg

tapper95

imported post

My Dad swears by his Kimber Ultra Carry in a Blade Tech IWB holster... He carries it pretty much 100%.... And he is a large bellied man... He wears it jsut forward of his back pocket in the love-handle zone...

I have a Bianchi pancake belt slide for a S&W SW40V but when I tried my Dad's rig on it was more comfortable... I admit, my belt is a little too tight and the pancake pokes me where the IWB spreads the pressure out along the entire beltline making it more comfortable... I also have a few pairs of oversized shorts and shirts for easier hot-weather carry...

The whole point is: find what works for you, your body type, and your gear... and be prepared to change things if it isn't... I'm using concealed carry as a little added motiviation to drop a few extra pounds right now... I'm changing my body type since I can't afford to change my gear right now... Where it around the house as much as possible, especially if concealment is your goal... it gets a little obvious when you keep reaching back to your hip to adjust something or it pops out of your clothes since it doesn't quite fit...

There are also links to a bunch of concealed carry clothing makers on VCDL's website... Unlike Batman, many of us want to conceal our utility belts...