• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting NY

mtheknife

imported post

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I am supposed to transport my gun in upsate NY, Sydney and binghamton, specificly. Is it supposed to be in a locked container in the trunk and the ammo locked in the glove box? Thats How I plan travel while I am there. I am travelin gfrom NC and wanted to learn the laws thanks

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mtheknife wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I am supposed to transport my gun in upsate NY, Sydney and binghamton, specificly. Is it supposed to be in a locked container in the trunk and the ammo locked in the glove box? Thats How I plan travel while I am there. I am travelin gfrom NC and wanted to learn the laws thanks

NY does not allow people without a pistol license to even have a pistol in their posssesion at all, absent some very narrow circumstances. And it is a felony.

There is a federal law that allows you to travel through the state with it unloaded and locked up, but who knows if NY's finest honor that law.

XD Owner

imported post

IANAL, but feel free to see www.packing.org

http://www.packing.org/state/new_york/#statenote

Good luck (in other words, don't get caught doing something illegal.)

This is why we need National Recognition of Concealed Carry Permits, or ideally, a National Vermont- or Alaska-style Firearms law (no permit needed.)

NY will recognize your NC drivers license, but not a NC CHP. Stupid, stupid! :banghead:

ne1

imported post

RE: Learning the laws

It is easier to just choose not to visit. If I had to travel through New York, I would be sure not to stop and spend any of my money there.

nysarsenal

imported post

Dont bring any firearms to NY State and especially New York City.
Obviously by now you have read the laws of NY. New York is extremely unfriendly to out of state gun owners, and to many New York residents who own guns.
Personally Id recommend visiting Pennsylvania, Colorado or Virginia.

mtheknife

imported post

Thanks for the tip I did not get caught doing anything illegal and I plan to visit va more often.

M

michael

imported post

I was born and raised on long island, the gun laws have been the same for years. I dont understand why even if you have a permit the still give you problems? I doesnt make any sense. I now live in florida and bought my first hand gun, a springfield xd 45 acp. I like having the freedom to own one and have no problems.

bpranney

imported post

mtheknife wrote:
Thanks for the tip I did not get caught doing anything illegal and I plan to visit va more often.
And Virginia accepts alot of permits. I grew up in Western NY and moved to VA back in 2003. I tried many times to get a NY permit. Got annoyed with the process, so I moved to VA and started working for the NRA.

dh21187

imported post

As long as the gun is unloaded, in a locked box with ammunition seperate, it is not a problem. Youjust have to pass through the state in an uninterrupted trip, which has been argued to mean many things depending of where you happen to be when stopped. Each jurisdiction's courts have argued this differently and it is a crap shoot whether you get will get charged or not.

I used to pass through NJ on my way home after working in NYC as a police officer and I used to get grief sometimes from other cops as to why I was in NJ with a gun. Well, I'm on my way home dummy and I'm carrying. Either arrest me or send me on my way.

dh21187

imported post

bpranney wrote:
mtheknife wrote:
And Virginia accepts alot of permits. I grew up in Western NY and moved to VA back in 2003. I tried many times to get a NY permit. Got annoyed with the process, so I moved to VA and started working for the NRA.

Your post sounds fishy as to why you couldn't get a permit, especially in Western, NY. You only get denied one if you can't pass the sniff test on the application and subsequent investigation process. They RARELY deny them without a good reason. I got my carry permit in NY back in 1989 at the age of 18.

dh21187

imported post

I applied for and received a FL full-carry permit some years ago before HR 218 was enacted. It is reciprocal in 21 or 22 other state, so it was worth the expense at the time. I still haven't carried a gun with it yet in a qualifying state. Which reminds me, I have to check if it is still valid or not.

Cody Jarrett

imported post

NYS Penal Law S265.20 provides an exemption for persons traveling into or through NYS when traveling to our from a sanctioned event and within 48 hours of the event in either direction. You must have proof of the event and your resident permit. The gun must be transposrted unloaded in a clear locked box. Under NYS PL S265.01 it is a misdemeanor to possess an UNLOADED handgun and under S265.03 it is a FELONY to possess a loaded hangun... without a license.

emt3432001

imported post

If you are gonna (move) to NY, have a dealer at home send it to a localdealer in BGT... (or close by but in NYS) ..THEN,go to the Sheriff's office in the county that you plan to move to & get your permit... (may take up to a year and cost about $175.00)...If you are not going to move to NY, DON'T BRING IT!!! They will NOT let you go if they catch you with ahandgun. You will be taken away in cuffs..

Once you do have a permit in nys, you can pak all you want.

Your smart to check first!

2 other states are like this (that I know of)

emt3432001

imported post

It's sick how some cops think its a game.

I had a trooper pull me over downstate and give me hell.... I was on duty at the time too... (little fella) Guess he was just wanting to be big and really cool.

Cody Jarrett

imported post

I was pulled over for speeding last year on the NYS Thruway. The trooper didn't ask about weapons in the car but wanted my registration and insurance card; which were in the glove box. I put my hands on the wheel and told him I have a licensed, registered, loaded handgun in there; what do you want me to do? He asked me to step out slowly which I did. he patted me around the waistband and asked for my permit. He asked me to have a seat in his car while he checked. He checked the gun in the glove box against those registered on my permit. He put the gun back in the glove box, gave me a speeding ticket and apologized for making me sit in his car. He sheepishly explained that with all the illegal guns he sees he just wanted to be safe. When my court date came he was there and requested the ADA reduce the ticketto an equipment violation. I paid a $50 equipment fine. We had a few laughs about the incident and parted on good terms.

Tralpat

imported post

Here is the problem I have. I live in VA but my whole family is in the Buffalo, NY area. My concealed carry permit is valid in every state I drive through with the exception of NY. This includes OH where my wife is from. From reading everyone's posts on here, when I go home to see family I should just leave my weapon in VA? There is at least a week or two without it.

Cody Jarrett

imported post

I would not bring the gun into NYS when you come to see your family. There are fed exemptions for someone traveling through the state when in transition only. Once you stop for the night the exemption no longer applies. Possession of a loaded handgun without a license in NYS is a C felony.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

What are the NY laws on shotguns in vehicles? I find myself working in New York State as well as the city from time to time and I sure hate to be unarmed. Is it lawful to keep a shotgun in a vehicle?