Thread: Can they restrict to Concealed Carry?

Post imported post

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...irearmsarchery

'Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons'

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

The DGIF is not restricting open carry per se, and strangely, open carry in state parks and other lands is not a violation of the state park open carry ban where hunting is allowed.

Post imported post

So basically they are just using some "tricky" wording to make it seem like OC is not covered.

I remember reading in one state that is legal for a hunter to conceal, without permit, to protect the weapon. I will do searches and try to find that again.

Post imported post

Despite VA's OC-friendliness there are still things to be clarified, such as OC in national forests.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

OC is banned in feeral forests in VA via the same section of the VAC that bans open carry in state parks. VCDL has asked the AG and the Committee looking at streamlining the VAC to cut this ban out as beyond the authority of the Dept, of Conservation.

Post imported post

My questions come for the fact that I may go bow hunting this year (I've been saying that for years but have never been hunting).

My family's land is bordered by National Forest. There has been conversations with game warderns not really knowing what the borders are. They do not like the fact that my dad refuses all request for id on his own land - go figure.

I just don't want to give the a reason, gun charge, if they do get on my property - which I know would not be a problem because of the personal property.