• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good day to take my gun for a walk

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I figure that after Independance Day, there is nary a better day to take a gun for a walk than to the polls. With my Utah Concealed Firearms Permit I am perfectly legal open carrying into a polling place and/or a government run school. How convenient that my polling place this year is at just such a government run high school.

So I OC'd my 1911, Condition One, in a paddle hoster over my slacks and dress shirt and voted before work this morning. (Company policy prohibits guns at work, so the firearm was stored elsewhere before arriving at work.)

I arrived at the school just before the first class began and so there were hordes of students running about. Nobody, including the poll workers even seemed to notice until one of the 4 poll workers--a family friend--joked to two others, "Be nice to him. He has a gun." She then asked me seriously, "What do you do that allows you to carry a gun?"

I responded briefly that my Utah CCW permit allows me to open carry a fully loaded gun, even into schools. I then cast my virtual vote (I hate the new e-voting machines, but that is probably off topic until we have solid evidence they are throwing the elections to the gun grabbers.), and was off.

And all this at a large high school in the suburbs of Salt Lake City.

reefteach

imported post

I really wanted to carry here in OH, but I can't even carry in a church, which is where my polling station is. Most of the others are in schools, which are off limits also. while we are at it, these places are off limits too:

[*]A Police Station.
[*]Sheriff’s Office
[*]State Highway Patrol Station
[*]Premises controlled by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation,
[*]State Correctional Institution, Jail, Workhouse, or other Detention Facility,
[*]Airport Passenger Terminal,
[*]School
[*]Courthouse or building that Houses a Court.
[*]Public or Private College/University (May keep locked in Vehicle in Packing lot)
[*]House of Worship.
[*]Child Day-Care Center.
[*]Any and all areas of a building that is owned or leased by this state or any political subdivision of this state,
[*]A place in which federal law prohibits the carrying of handguns
And the ever popular:(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code

I hope our new Pro Gun Democrat Governor can get rid of some of these, specificaly the last one. I would like to go to Pizza Hut with the family. I am currently limited to Chuck E. Cheese's because they don't sell beer.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

reefteach wrote:
I hope our new Pro Gun Democrat Governor can get rid of some of these, specificaly the last one. I would like to go to Pizza Hut with the family. I am currently limited to Chuck E. Cheese's because they don't sell beer.

The Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Woodbridge, Virginia sells beer. You might want to check again.

reefteach

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
reefteach wrote:

The Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Woodbridge, Virginia sells beer. You might want to check again.
That does it! I'm packing up the family and heading to Virginia for vacation this summer. I'm going to be picking up some real estate brochures too!:DI'll be the tourist OCing!