• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's a good, comfortable OWB holster?

Kevin108

imported post

I've carried for a couple years now but never openly. I had a Fobus GL2 early on in my time of owning a firearm but I never used it anywhere but the range. I've also downsized from carrying a Glock 17 to carrying a Glock 26 in a CTAC.

I'm to the point now though where I'd like to try open carry from time to time. Should I get another Fobus or is there a better option?

357luvr

imported post

Well I'll be the first to say it, IMO ANY holster is better than a Fobus holster. You're lucky that you've carried a Glock because if it was any other gun, it would've ruined the finish. Fobus holsters are NOT suitable for carry. Save up you're dollars and get a quality leather holster. I prefer either Galco, Bianchi, or Don Hume holsters. I have a Galco for my Sig 229 and a Bianchi for my Taurus 627. I've never personally had a Hume holster but I've only heard good things. My $.02

Here's a link to Galco
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG1.asp

Here's a link to Bianchi
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/index.php

And here's a link to Don Hume
http://www.donhume.com/Products/

Hope this helps

molonlabetn

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
I've carried for a couple years now but never openly. I had a Fobus GL2 early on in my time of owning a firearm but I never used it anywhere but the range. I've also downsized from carrying a Glock 17 to carrying a Glock 26 in a CTAC.

I'm to the point now though where I'd like to try open carry from time to time. Should I get another Fobus or is there a better option?

In addition to the holster-makers above, I would also suggest checking out a Blackhawk SERPA CQC holster... They are one of the smoothest-drawing holsters that I have ever tried. I use one exclusively when OCing my XD.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=5219&d=

molonlabetn

D

Desertdoc

imported post

The Blackhawk holster is the best OC holster i have ever seen and use.. Dont try to conceal carry with it unless it is cold and you want to wear a jacket.

Guncrazy

imported post

Desertdoc wrote:
The Blackhawk holster is the best OC holster i have ever seen and use.. Dont try to conceal carry with it unless it is cold and you want to wear a jacket.
Actually, I carry my XD45 all the time in a Blackhawk Serpa, and can conceal it quite well under an untucked shirt (button-up or sweat shirt).

Then again, this might be due only to the fact that I have an unusual build, in that my shoulders are far broader than my waist.

At any rate, the Blackhawk is by far the best holster I've ever used.

bayboy42

imported post

I just purchased a Blackhawk CCQ for my Glock 19 tonight. I'll I need to know now is why I waited this long to purchase one:lol: Blackhawk includes both the belt and paddle platforms which is something you don't typically see in a manufacturer (they usually make you pick one or buy both). THis holster is extremely comfortable and it only takes a dozen or so practice draws to get used to the SERPA retention feature.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a holster from Backwoods Leather, it's made to wear either side and has a thumb brake strap.I use it to carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I think I paid about $55 for it.I don't know their addres but they are in Virginia.It has a forward cant on either side.

bayboy42

imported post

VA Opencarry...funny you should type that. I just got back from visiting some of my buddies down south and I let him try on my Blackhawk with the paddle. I ended up having to go get his wife to help him take it off cause I no longer felt comfortable with the way it was going :D Tin snips tomorrow!!

VAopencarry

imported post

Someone told me he used tin snips. I never tried it myself. After a few attempts I bagged the idea of using the paddle. I no longer have one now. Filing it down might work too.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I recommend the DeSantis Thumbbreak Scabbard or the Scabbard. I like the thumbbreak because it has a snap to retain the gun. There are obvious advantages to this in an open carry situation.

JacquisPoni

imported post

I have to agree the Blackhawk Serpa is a great holster...open carried with it last night, picked it up at the Hampton Gun Show on Sunday....fits my Glock 23 perfectly. To all those who recommended thanks (DesertDoc)

cREbralFIX

imported post

The problem with the Serpa is that the lock does not permit (or easily permit) weak hand draws. The solution, of course, is to get a BUG and carry it in a weak hand pocket or holster.

Now you have an excuse for your next purchase :)

JacquisPoni

imported post

The information for Backwoods is below. I have 3 holsters from them and I love them can't get better craftmanship.

Backwoods Leather
3022 Tyre Neck Road, Portsmouth, VA 23703
(757) 483-4872