• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lights

357luvr

imported post

I'm looking for a good light to carry with me, something pretty bright. Definitely better and brighter than the typical mini-mag. I don't really know what to look for in a light or what to get. I know that a good light is gonna cost more than a few bucks but I'm looking for something as cheap as I can get. I just can't see myself paying a couple hundred bucks for a freakin light! Please give me a few suggestions and prices of a good light. Thanks.

Also, could someone give me a good baseline to look for as far as candlepower and lumens. I was looking on copsplus.com and the first flashlight listed was 6,500 candlepower for like $40 from streamlight. Would this be okay?

One last thing, should I get a Xenon bulb or an LED bulb?

bayboy42

imported post

Check out the Streamlight Strion. Its one of the smallest rechargeable lights on the market today. It has a peak beam candlepower of 12,000 so its super bright. There are several of them for sale on ebay andit looks like you can pick one up for $75. If $75 is too high, you can't go wrong with the Streamlight Scorpion. I've had one for 5 years and never had any problems. You can find them on ebay for around $30-$40.

cs9c1

imported post

If you want a tactical light dont get the LED, if you want the batteries to last then you need the LED. I have several types myself. Surefire and Streamlight are the top two, but there are others that make nice lights also.

mercutio545

imported post

Indeed, LED's aren't bright enough. I had an LED tactical light on my home defense shotgun and while the beam was better defined than a regular light (from about 10 feet away it was a 4-5 foot circle), it was still too dim. Go with a bulbed flashlight.

mattjohnston87

imported post

I just went to the different LGS stores in my town, and looked around. Found one for $30 that is 80 Lumens, which can be compared to a 2 or 3 D-cell Maglight. Rugged aluminum body, nice belt clip on it.

I'm sure a Surefire or Streamlight would last me longer or something, but hey, the price was right, and DANG!!! That little thing is very bright. (hey, that rhymes...)

Matt

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Last week or so the topic of lights has come up a few times so I thought I'd post my small collection. I have a 3 D cell Maglite, 2 AA MiniMags, 1 done up Ranger Rick style w/ NiteIze LED retro fit and lithium batteries. See here how to make your own, http://www.therangerdigest.com/ (look under Mini Survival Kit). Then there are my E2D Executive Defender, and 2 G2 Nitrolons, 1 with a lanyard ring and the other mounted on a KelTec P11 magazine mount. Finally my Glock weapon light. Also pictured are Surefire CR123 lithium batteries and Energizer e2 AA lithium batteries, which are supposed to last 7 times longer and are good until 2020.

Attachments

• 0119 002a.jpg
    0119 002a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 326

psmartin

imported post

The SureFire light which used 3v lithium batteries is a "piece of work", but it does need a carry pouch because it's practically an edged weapon..

It casts a VERY bright spot-beam, brighter than a 4-D cell maglight.

The only downside is the price, nearly $100

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'll just say you get what you pay for. Surefire used to be, IMO, the best light maker on the market, but lately, it seems their quality control has some issues. Ive recently bought 3 Night-ops lights (two falcata's and a gladius) and they are top shelf lights in every sense. My recommendation, spend at least $100 on a quality light and you wont have to ever buy another one. Until you get addicted to them that is, and have to get more. :D

swatpro911

imported post

from my personal experience I would recommend surefire G2 lithium flashlight batteries are expensive to replace though. Its bright, durable and weather proof. If you want more tactical advantagego for INOVA T4 rechargable ones these are LEDs made for professionals . They also have little smaller INOVA T2 or T3. Mag light sucks. Also chek out streamlight stinger, strion etc.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I just bought a streamligt strion and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! its very bright 12,000 candle power = 120lumes(most tac lights are only 80) Its rechargable will go about 70min con. use between charges. charges FAST is small light and just plain KICKS AS$. and has an adjustable focus beam.

got mine from optisplanet.com I got mine with both an ac charger and a dc car charger as well as a flip up red lense and an orange traffic cone thing. plus 2nd day shipping to alaska it ran a grand total of 135 bucks.

I would recomend this light for anyone that wants a good small light that is deendable and dosnt have to replace the dang battery every week at 25 bucks a pop.

Wooley

imported post

SURE-FIRE makes good lights. So does SURE-FIRE and SURE-FIRE.

Get it? If its not SURE-FIRE its Kuh-rap.

Diggin the special order up there. I can attest that the SURE-FIREs with crenelated bezel will open up the human face very nicely. Just make sure you soak it in bleach as part of your after-action.

psychophipps

imported post

The true secret is to use hydrogen peroxide, actually. Just about any episode of CSI will point out the problems with bleach. The peroxide actually destroys the blood as it's a solvent so the DNA goes bye-bye.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Wooley wrote:
SURE-FIRE makes good lights. So does SURE-FIRE and SURE-FIRE.

Get it? If its not SURE-FIRE its Kuh-rap.

Diggin the special order up there. I can attest that the SURE-FIREs with crenelated bezel will open up the human face very nicely. Just make sure you soak it in bleach as part of your after-action.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

I must say that although i really like the Xenon flashlights with the CR123A lithium batteries (replacement batteries get expensive though), i have a very good relationship with my 6 D cell mag lite! i would call it a love/hate relationship!...... Because i love it and you'd hate to get hit by it! :D

happy carrying,

Jason

Wooley

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
What about the Gladius? Anyone use it?

The Gladius is one non SURE-FIRE light that I will support. The strobe feature will literally make you dizzy if you apply it to yourself.

I have a friend that bounces at a Tidewater area music venue and he's usedhis Gladiusplenty of times. Says that normally the strobe effect will confuse the person long enough to have them in a choke hold and be drug out the door before they know whats going on. When that fails, a good face strike is easy to pull off. Its not crenelated (rumor is Blackhawk will make a replacement bezel to address that) and you might chip paint but it will still work.

That said, you can find tail caps for SURE-FIREs that will convert them to a strobe selection mode. I've also spoken to SURE-FIRE and asked them to make their own strobe mode tail cap.

glocknroll

imported post

I have the Sure Fire G2 and it is an excellent light for the money. $35 at the local Bass Pro shop. I carried it every day (and night) for a year in Iraq, and never had a bit of trouble. While I was there I picked up a Pelican M6, which is a great light but a little bulky, compared to the Sure Fire. It comes in a nice nylon belt pouch with a spare battery compartment. My favorite is my Sure Fire Z2. The narrow waist and rubber grip rings make it easy to handle when shooting with the light in your off hand. I would probably get the G2Z now. Same design as the Z2, but made of the same polymer as the G2.