• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Veterans wear your medals with your piece this veterans day

VAopencarry

imported post

Not a bad idea but not for me.

I have a problem wearing something that's 'miltary issue' in civilian clothes. I'm still not crazy about seeing civlians wearing cammie trousers. But I am getting over it.:)

cs9c1

imported post

They are actually encouraging Vets to ware there medals on Veterans day now. I am still on active duty for the next 6 months, then I get to retire and just be a Vet. LOL.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

reefteach

imported post

I don't think I'm gonna wear mine. I agree that they look out of place on civilian clothes. I don't think this is going to catch on.

TEX1N

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Not a bad idea but not for me.

I have a problem wearing something that's 'miltary issue' in civilian clothes. I'm still not crazy about seeing civlians wearing cammie trousers. But I am getting over it.:)
I agree with the medal part. I think they are a little out of place on civilian clothes. I would just have trouble wearing something like that.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I definitely understand the reluctance. Especially coming from former Marines. I think if this tradition is going to take hold here a good informal rule might be wearing the medals on a coat with a tie at least.

5066ccd6ebf7eaafaa79.jpeg
veguests.jpg

istockphoto_1762428_war_veterans.jpg
mc06026250.jpg
3vets.JPG

reefteach

imported post

Hopefully, wife permitting, I'm going to wear my biker vest to a veterans day parade here while open carrying. It has an old unit patch on it, but that is the only official military insignia. I am looking forward to using the new Serpa for my XD in an open carry environment.

TEX1N

imported post

reefteach wrote:
I am looking forward to using the new Serpa for my XD in an open carry environment.
Serpa with an XD, a very good choice if I do say so myself. I have OC'ed with mine a few times, that is before my brother borrowed the Serpa for his XD. :?

Tomahawk

imported post

Wearing decorations on civilian formal wear sounds like something the British might do. Of course in America, people pretty much do what they want, especially since the Vietnam era.

I read that Marine Corps regs page, Longwatch, and I think it's pretty funny. I loved the Corps and all, but I'm out now, and out is out. They don't like the way I dress nowadays they can go....well, I'll keep it clean. Once when I was a 20-something Marine I thought all civilians were slimy and that they needed to be told how to dress. Now that I'm one of them and have been for quite a while that attitude has gone right out the window.

In any case, I'm not one for wearing stuff like that. I like to keep my service time and other past history to myself when walking out in public. In fact, the thing I dislike most about open-carry is the attention it draws, but small price to pay I guess.

cato

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Of course in America, people pretty much do what they want, especially since the Vietnam era.

American's have been doing it since some of the first medals were issued in the 19th century. The GAR (Grand Army of the Republic), a northern Civil War veteran's organization, had a non-military civilian style dress code and medals are seen on some members in photos and newsreels.

These grand old soldiers look great and classy and started the American tradition.

It's your day so feel free to wear your medals(next year or every day/special occasion?). Andit also helps remind thosearound youto reflectupon and honor those who serve.

It also helps toexpand the credibility and respectabilityof OC in the eyes of otherwise neutral/condition whitepatriots.