• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protection in a hotel

possumboy

imported post

My parents were staying at a hotel in Richmond, VA.

Someone started knocking on the door saying he needed in the room. My dad asked him what he needed and he said he stayed in the room last night and forgot his phone charger.

My parents told him that cleaning must have it because my parents had not seen it. He said that hewanted in just to look around.My parentstehn told him they would not let him in, if he had a problem, he needed to contact the front desk and have an employee help him.

He became angry andsaid that my parents had to let him in becausehe would not go away.

My dad said "Babe, get me my pistol."

The guy immediatily left and my parents did not hear from the front desk about it. Because my parents did hear from the employees, this makes me believe the guy was trying to "crash" my parents hotel room.

Tomahawk

imported post

It might have been a good idea to call the cops immediately after the guy left. That way your Dad gets on record as calling the cops and gets to give his side of the story first, in case the bad guy decides to call the cops and make up his own version. You want the cops to hear from you first.

JJC

It might have been a good idea to call the cops immediately after the guy left. That way your Dad gets on record as calling the cops and gets to give his side of the story first, in case the bad guy decides to call the cops and make up his own version. You want the cops to hear from you first.

Correct, anytime a weapon is "USED" in a situation the LEO's need to be called. The first one to talk to the LEO is a situation like this would be thought to be the victim. Did they look through the peep hole so they could ID the BG, and sign a complaint. This is one of the few times when you really want to talk to the LEO's.

Ken56

Great story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Just goes to show you that you can never let your gaurd down. Hotels are one instance that I do not open carry, should they have a problem with my having a weapon in their facility. I don't go anywhere without a firearm on me, CC or OC and sometimes both. I agree that its good advice to call the local police in that instance too and inform the management of the incident with full written report.

My wife and I were in Poplar Bluff Missouri at a Holiday Inn. They put us in the back in a kitchenette room and not long after we settled in I hear a rather loud car pull in, idle for a minute and leave. 20 min. later same thing. then again. I thought ' oh this is not good'. sure enough, 2 am that morning we hear gun shots. we hit the floor. State police show up about 15 min. later...... they did catch the people.....they wrecked a little way down the road as they were high tailing it out of there.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I had a freind attack in in about the same way and was injuried and some money taken.

I would not open the door when traveling to some one I did not know. If you think in is a hotel employee I would call the front desk to comfrim.

As for calling the police maybe, maybe not. No crime was commited, no weapon was show or used, no entry was made.

If it was in a area kown to be very anti gun or self protection and I were armed I wouldn't call the police. Thats a good way to end up in jail yourself.

You really have nothing they can go on some guy asking to look for his phone charger.

Now if he tried to force his way in thats another story.

noname762

I disagree. The cops might try to turn it around on you.

I stopped in at a small PD once for directions. I wasn't there 2 minutes and the interrogation started instead of simply helping me find my way.

Despite what many of us heard from our folks when we were kids...the policeman is NOT your friend.

Operator_223

Me too.....

I had one similar to this but this time it appeared to me a drug dealer was looking for someone that owed them money or drugs or something.

yeah, you never know when, you never know where. Just carry. And keep your eyeballs peeled.