• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grocery Store USPO Contract unit

exceltoexcel

imported post

My local grocery store (in PA)just got a united states post office a contract unit.

I have no idea what that means (contract unit).

Does it have the same rules and regulations regarding firearm carry now?

It didn't have a sign displayed saying anything that you would normally would find in a USPO. No explosives/weapons signs. Basically just a sign saying United States Post office contract unit.

Anyone have any knowledge as to what ramifications this might have?

Do I have to go to a new store?

badmonkey

imported post

As far as I know it makes no difference unless the place is posted (at least in WV) becasue by getting the postal contract it does not make the grocery store a federal building. The Kroger here in Princeton has a 'Post Office' and it is not posted and I have seen a 1 or 2 people carrying in there. (They were 'concealed' carrying, gun in back pocket, I could see the grip but it was technically concealed) and there was no problems, a deputy asked one of them for a concealed permit which he produced and let the man go on his way.
----edit to add:----
keep in mind that i am by no means a law expert, i actually know very little about the way the legal system works, just sharing an experience

livitup

imported post

A "contract unit" is basically a private establishment which has a contract with the USPS to sell stamps, accept mailings, etc. They are not a "post office." They basically get the right to use the USPS logos etc, and can do most of the functions a full blown PO can, like accept certified, insured, etc. mail. Many UPS Stores, etc. are contract units.

What that has to do with the law, I have no idea. But carefully read the USPS laws and remember that a contract unit is NOT a post office.