• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on front page of Richmond Times-Dispatch today

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I'm shocked no one else beat me to this... on the front page of today's Richmond Times-Dispatch Metro section, there is a highlighted section on the Museum of Fine Arts and open carry. It includes quotes from the museum spokeswoman - noting that patrons with openly carried guns will be asked to return them to the car, but will still be allowed admittance if they refuse. The only possibly inaccurate part notes that the museum recently learned that Virginia is "one of the few states that allow guns worn openly". I know elsewhere on this forum it says 44 states allow some form of open carry, so perhaps they would disagree (even thoughanyone over 18 not otherwise precluded can open carry here in Virginia - unlicensed- almost everywhere, including public meetings and facilities, libraries, banks, public museums, etc - which is certainly not true in the overwhelming majority of those 44 states, so possibly that is what she meant (or even said) and the reporter messed it up from there?).

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191721023

Below, please find a verbatim copy and paste from www.packing.org:

"They really got this wrong...
There were two of us, but I was carrying concealed so they didn't pay attention to me, of course. Dennis O'Connor was carrying openly. They didn't ask him to put his gun in his car, I don't recall him being asked to leave his gun behind for the benefit of the guests at the museum (what were Dennis and I, chopped liver?), and far more than a few states allow open carry.

The female guard lost it when Dennis refused to show a CHP while open carrying and she called in a '10-33' Being an ex-deputy, I knew what that was. I turned to her and said, "Ma'm, you DO NOT have an emergency here."

We had been in that museum for 2.5 hours with lots of people around us - no problem other than one unarmed security guard that wanted to show her authority.

As it turned out this whole thing happened on our way out of the door, so we just left to go get lunch.

In a way I wish we had stayed to educate the guards on the law, but it sounds like they finally got it figure out according to that article.

Philip Van Cleave, President, VCDL"

VApatriot

imported post

Isn't that some form of intimidation or something? It is almost like they areputting up a human "no guns allowed" sign, which is against Virginia law for them to do in a public building.

Also,can you provide a direct link to Mr. Van Cleave's post at packing.org? I couldn't find it.

Thanks

mercutio545

imported post

My roommate and I are going to be making a trip to the museum tomorrow, and I'll be OC'ing with my thigh rig. Haven't gone in a while, and I figure it's such an opportune time.

SFDoc

imported post

I work for the security company (thankfully in a differentdivision) that supplies guards for them. The guardsare not what you would call top of the line. I and one other armed officer (both in street clothes) were there about a year ago to take a DCJS recert. class. The "supervisor" who was also the "instructor" had no clue about Va firearm laws and almost had a stroke when I took my jacket off. By the time we were finished, they were well informed about legal carry of arms. I guess I will have to take another trip up there to re-educate they:banghead:

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"We have since learned, upon doing some research, that Virginia is one of the "few" states in the United States that allow guns to be worn in public," she said.

Sounds like a "letter to the editor" is in order.

mercutio545

imported post

Well I OC'd at the museum today. I went into the fabergé exhibit, and I could tell that I caught the attention of a guard. She proceeded to talk on her radio, and about 5 minutes later, a male guard approached me, stating that weapons were prohibited at the mueseum. I told him that they weren't, and when he asked me to leave, I said no. He then asked for my name, and I refused to give it to him. He walked away, and I didn't hear anything else from anybody during the whole visit (although I could tell the cameras were right on us at all times). Apprarently the staff has gotten savvy since the publicity.

I think that Richmond OC'ers should all meet up there one day for a museum outing. They have some good art there, and it would be a good way to flex our rights.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Just curious... did he ask you to leave the museum... or did he ask you to please take your weapon to the car for the comfort of lord-knows-who and then return unarmed? I know most of us wouldn't be happy with either response, but the article in the RT-D indicates that the second possibility I mentioned is the new policy, which the guards should be following, as opposed to asking you to leave.

possumboy

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Well I OC'd at the museum today. I went into the fabergé exhibit, and I could tell that I caught the attention of a guard. She proceeded to talk on her radio, and about 5 minutes later, a male guard approached me, stating that weapons were prohibited at the mueseum. I told him that they weren't, and when he asked me to leave, I said no. He then asked for my name, and I refused to give it to him. He walked away, and I didn't hear anything else from anybody during the whole visit (although I could tell the cameras were right on us at all times). Apprarently the staff has gotten savvy since the publicity.

I think that Richmond OC'ers should all meet up there one day for a museum outing. They have some good art there, and it would be a good way to flex our rights.
That sounds like harrassment to me. Is there anything that can be done?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Guys - I spoke the spokes-lady today - she misinterpretted "gold star" for "open carry allowed."

I urged her to drop her rule for a variety of reasons, and also called the reporter to let him know that the majority state rule in the US is that open carry is allowed in public.

Concerned

imported post

I suppose you think it's funny to make people feel bad. How would you feel if a group of random armed people came into your child's elementary school just to prove they had some kind of power over your child's life? Museums are used as learning tools for thousands of children, do you think their parents feel safe when a bunch of total strangers showing off guns are walking around them? Creating a hostile environment of protest around our children is disgusting and wrong. Move you problems somewhere else!!

ScottNH

imported post

Concerned wrote:
How would you feel if a group of random armed people came into your child's elementary school just to prove they had some kind of power over your child's life?

How would I feel? A lot more secure, that's how.

Take it elsewhere, troll.

jimwyant

imported post

Concerned wrote:
I suppose you think it's funny to make people feel bad. How would you feel if a group of random armed people came into your child's elementary school just to prove they had some kind of power over your child's life? Museums are used as learning tools for thousands of children, do you think their parents feel safe when a bunch of total strangers showing off guns are walking around them? Creating a hostile environment of protest around our children is disgusting and wrong. Move you problems somewhere else!!
If the sight of guns around children makes you uncomfortable, might I suggest that you move to England, Australia, or Canada? The only guns you are likely to see there are ones pointed at you by a criminal who is getting ready to take your child away from you, or worse - and there will be little that you can do to stop them. Go away, troll.

possumboy

imported post

ScottNH wrote:
Concerned wrote:
How would you feel if a group of random armed people came into your child's elementary school just to prove they had some kind of power over your child's life?

How would I feel? A lot more secure, that's how.

Take it elsewhere, troll.

These trolls rarely post more than once. But it is always a good idea to ask them one question, one that few will ever want to answer:

Only possible answers are Yes or No - yes it is that simple, even if you do not want to believe it. Do you think that a law will keep a criminal from using a weapon?

They don't think past the fact that people are breaking the law, what is one more? People want to live without fear. The above person wants to believe that the no weapon signs will keep them safe. Because they do not have the desire to protect their family and themselves, they believe no one should. I guess they do not associate the fact that murder, rape, and assault are illegal already. They do not make the next step that the signs and laws did nothing to stop that. Just look at the news. People are breaking the law everyday; some people do not want to be the 1.75 out of a thousand that is raped, assaulted, robbed, or murdered. I hate that stat, 1.75 - do you want to be that person? How does the 1.75 feel about the low chance of something happening? I bet they think that 1.75 is too high.

It is easy to blame something besides the person and that is what they do, they blame the gun. It is easy for them to do. If they can get rid of the guns, they will feel "safe" because a person would not do something like this.

I was always taught to overlook fools and children, and try to educate the ignorant. When the ignorant will not face facts and accept the truth, they become fools at that point.

And like I told a woman who was trying to make me feel guilty for having a gun around my kids. She asked/told me "Is that gun for those kids? I hope not!"
I replied: "My gun is for my kids. I will use it to protect them. Just by carrying my gun, my kids are less of a target than [her] kids. A bad guy looking to take a child will walk on past me to someone less likely to give the bad guy trouble - like you."

So have patience, try to educate, and the just overlook.

VAopencarry

imported post

Concerned, You are misguided. Nobody is trying "to prove they had some kind of power over your child's life". Then what are they trying to do, you ask?

They are exercising their natural born right to defend themselve's and family from somebody that would want to do them harm. What do you do to protect your children? Call the police? They might be able to solve your murder or your child's abduction after the body is found but do you think they can prevent it?

A traffic accident can happen anywhere, anytime, that's why we wear seatbelts. Watch your local news or read the newspaper. Violent crime can happen anywhere anytime, museums included.

I challenge you to drop your preconceived idea's of guns and gun owner's. Do a little more research and you might come to understand the real reason why people choose to carry a firearm. It has nothing to do with power or proving anything. It's personal responsibilty for their own and loved one's safety. Some people are not willing to rollover and just be a victim.

Tomahawk

imported post

Concerned wrote:

LMAO! TROLL ALERT :lol:

I guess you feel better when a bunch of total strangers attack you because you are disarmed, because anotherbunch of total strangers passed a law disarming you.

hirundo82

imported post

Concerned wrote:
Nobody here open carries to show off or to "make people feel bad." We open carry to educate, to show both normal people and criminals that many normal citizens are not willing to be victims and that we have the means to protect ourselves.

VAopencarry

imported post

I don't know if I would call 'Concerned' a troll. In their mind they have a legitimate concern and came here to express it without any notable flaming. If I were to play amateur psychologist, like our guest, I think they 'feel bad' because by them being aware of 'us' carrying firearms, it makes them feel inadequate because they are not taking any responsibility for themselves or their children.