• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying the newest game console?

b18turboef

imported post

Now in those situations, while being robbed would it be legal to use deadly force? Most of the situations involved the robber having a weapon of some sort and most of them used their weapons!

I think I'd have to use mine, at least draw it and hope it knocked some sense in them :banghead:

hirundo82

imported post

As long as they were threatening someone with what could reasonably be construed as a weapon, you would be justified in the use of deadly force according to the laws of any state that I have seen.

Regarding drawing and hoping "it knock[ed] some sense into them"--probably not a good mindset. It you are going to draw, be prepared to use it. It many situations,, especially against an assailant armed with a firearm, it would be unwise to give them any warning of your actions as that could give them the chance to harm you first. I would never feel an obligation to verbally warn an obviously armed criminal.

b18turboef

imported post

Of course I would be willing to use my gun if I pulled it on such an individual. Every situation is different. Take for example the two men unloading their PS2's and two kids start walking up to them carryinga chain and tire iron.I would draw on them, and if the kept in my direction I would then shoot.

I'm not going to shoot a man with a chain at 30+ft away from me. However if he was 15 feet that would be a much different story.

hirundo82

imported post

I consider the 21 foot rule a decent starting point, but there are other variables to consider. It assumes an assailant starting from a dead stop; if they are already running at you, they can cover a lot more ground before you can draw.

Add it is only the time to start putting lead on target. Pistols in particular have poor "stopping power;" the assailant will likely have enough momentum to reach you and do you harm.

Remember, you have several seconds of useful consciousness even if your heart is completely destroyed (not even taking adrenaline into account), and that would take several good hits on a small moving target to accomplish with a handgun. It is best to assume somebody will have minutes if not more of useful conscious after you shoot them.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

The biggest thing I got out of those 21 foot videos is that you are allowed to MOVE! Run, jump, flap your arms and Moon Walk but don't just stand there!

Regarding the article, this part made me :banghead:.
an unruly crowd of about 350 people who were waiting to buy one of the shop's eight consoles
You would think that someone in the last 342 people would know how to count.

LoveMyCountry