Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Open carry in car

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    While driving my truck and open carrying the center console and my arm pretty much blocks any view of my firearm. I don't have a CCP am I in violation of the law? I have laid my weapon on the center console but if I stopped suddenly or had to make a sudden lane change it might send my Para-Ordinance P-12.45 flying. I live in VA.

  2. #2
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    LargeSarge wrote:
    While driving my truck and open carrying the center console and my arm pretty much blocks any view of my firearm. I don't have a CCP am I in violation of the law? I have laid my weapon on the center console but if I stopped suddenly or had to make a sudden lane change it might send my Para-Ordinance P-12.45 flying. I live in VA.
    You can't go wrong by putting a small strip of velcro on the dash and then putting an Uncle Mike's nylon holster stuck to it. No flying guns and definitely in plain sight.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    jpierce wrote:
    LargeSarge wrote:
    While driving my truck and open carrying the center console and my arm pretty much blocks any view of my firearm. I don't have a CCP am I in violation of the law? I have laid my weapon on the center console but if I stopped suddenly or had to make a sudden lane change it might send my Para-Ordinance P-12.45 flying. I live in VA.
    You can't go wrong by putting a small strip of velcro on the dash and then putting an Uncle Mike's nylon holster stuck to it. No flying guns and definitely in plain sight.
    There is something about the idea of having a gun velcroed to the dashboard that makes me smile.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    How 'bout duct tape? You'd get away with it 'cause the officer would die laughing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    Sounds good I don't like the idea of having to "deface" my truck like that but I'll take it into consideration. Thanks

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    Not concealed at all!



    LoveMyCountry

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    180

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    Not concealed at all!



    LoveMyCountry
    I could use that for aggressive drivers on the interstate here. 1 round from a Ma Deuce through the engine block and they aren't going anywhere.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Smithfield, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    IANAL, but in my opinion, as long as a LEO can clearly see it when he approaches the vehicle, you're ok.

    If you really want to be 100%safe, get a CHP (if you're over 21 that is). If you're strapped for cash, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries offers free hunters education classes year-round that qualify for the training requirement. Then it's just $50 for the CHP.I just went ahead andpaid the$30 for the concealed carry course at Bob's Guns in Norfolk so I would be informed of the latest laws and concealed carry issues. I feel a lot more comfortable open carrying with my CHP at hand just in case I accidentally cover the handgun with something. Not to mention, open carrying that prettyPara-Ordinance in Hampton might prove attractive to some piece of slime at a stop-light.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    842

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    Not concealed at all!

    LoveMyCountry
    That would probably help to keep the tailgaters away!

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    I was thinking that it would give you almost Moses likeabilities when dealing with traffic. :P



    LoveMyCountry

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    I can't even begin to tell you the number of times since I got back from Iraq last year that I've wanted to do that. It was really bad last January as I got cut off and the guy couln't get why I was so freaked out about it. I am very glad I wasn't carry then...

    hirundo82 wrote:
    I could use that for aggressive drivers on the interstate here. 1 round from a Ma Deuce through the engine block and they aren't going anywhere.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    We had an interesting hypothetical discussion over Thanksgiving weekend, as we drove to NC.

    One particular id10t was driving under the mantra "No gap too small, no risk too great". He kept getting slowed up, and ending up behind us (mind you, the flow of traffic was doing about 76 through Raleigh). After he cut off one car that had to swerve toward us, and then pulled in to a too-small space in front of us, causing those of us behind him to slam brakes, we started wondering. I was in fear for my life. I felt in immediate peril.

    Aw, the hell of understanding the intent and not just the letter of the law <grin>.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    I'm well over 21, an NRA ceritifiedinstructor, and retired military. So I'd have no problem getting a carry permit(use to have one)but I just don't want one at this time and besides "a right not exercised is a right lost" and in the Commonwealth of Virginia I have th right to open carry.



  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    Not concealed at all!



    LoveMyCountry
    Ahhh, the Ma Duce, that is a work of art.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •