• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in car

LargeSarge

imported post

While driving my truck and open carrying the center console and my arm pretty much blocks any view of my firearm. I don't have a CCP am I in violation of the law? I have laid my weapon on the center console but if I stopped suddenly or had to make a sudden lane change it might send my Para-Ordinance P-12.45 flying. I live in VA.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

LargeSarge wrote:
While driving my truck and open carrying the center console and my arm pretty much blocks any view of my firearm. I don't have a CCP am I in violation of the law? I have laid my weapon on the center console but if I stopped suddenly or had to make a sudden lane change it might send my Para-Ordinance P-12.45 flying. I live in VA.
You can't go wrong by putting a small strip of velcro on the dash and then putting an Uncle Mike's nylon holster stuck to it. No flying guns and definitely in plain sight. :)

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jpierce wrote:
LargeSarge wrote:
You can't go wrong by putting a small strip of velcro on the dash and then putting an Uncle Mike's nylon holster stuck to it. No flying guns and definitely in plain sight. :)
There is something about the idea of having a gun velcroed to the dashboard that makes me smile.

NRA_Bear

imported post

IANAL, but in my opinion, as long as a LEO can clearly see it when he approaches the vehicle, you're ok.

If you really want to be 100%safe, get a CHP (if you're over 21 that is). If you're strapped for cash, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries offers free hunters education classes year-round that qualify for the training requirement. Then it's just $50 for the CHP.I just went ahead andpaid the$30 for the concealed carry course at Bob's Guns in Norfolk so I would be informed of the latest laws and concealed carry issues. I feel a lot more comfortable open carrying with my CHP at hand just in case I accidentally cover the handgun with something. Not to mention, open carrying that prettyPara-Ordinance in Hampton might prove attractive to some piece of slime at a stop-light.

docwatson

imported post

I can't even begin to tell you the number of times since I got back from Iraq last year that I've wanted to do that. It was really bad last January as I got cut off and the guy couln't get why I was so freaked out about it. I am very glad I wasn't carry then...

hirundo82 wrote:
I could use that for aggressive drivers on the interstate here. 1 round from a Ma Deuce through the engine block and they aren't going anywhere.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We had an interesting hypothetical discussion over Thanksgiving weekend, as we drove to NC.

One particular id10t was driving under the mantra "No gap too small, no risk too great". He kept getting slowed up, and ending up behind us (mind you, the flow of traffic was doing about 76 through Raleigh). After he cut off one car that had to swerve toward us, and then pulled in to a too-small space in front of us, causing those of us behind him to slam brakes, we started wondering. I was in fear for my life. I felt in immediate peril.

Aw, the hell of understanding the intent and not just the letter of the law <grin>.

LargeSarge

imported post

I'm well over 21, an NRA ceritifiedinstructor, and retired military. So I'd have no problem getting a carry permit(use to have one)but I just don't want one at this time and besides "a right not exercised is a right lost" and in the Commonwealth of Virginia I have th right to open carry.