Thread: What makes a holster legal/illegal?

Post imported post

(I'm reposting this from the holsters/accessories forum because regulations are state dependant and that totally slipped my mind)

Is there anything that would make a holster illegal to wear while OC'ing? I know that the weapon has to be visible to its "true nature", but what does this mean? Does the grip as well as the front of the barrel have to be visible? One of my holsters has the front of the gun poking out about 1/5 of an inch, but another one I was looking at has the front part covered up so only the grip is visible (the entire grip would be visible though, from the hammer to the bottom of the magazine). Is this OK in Virginia if I don't have a concealed handgun permit?

Post imported post

Now I am not extremly famliar with the VA laws, But I know in NC as long as it is able to be understood what is in the holster than it is not consider concealed . Meaning that anyone taking a look at you will be readily able to tell you have a pistol. The grip being visible, I would think, would be enough. I do know that if you were it outside of ALL clothing then it will be Open.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I believe the law is aiming towards holsters like this belt buckle holster. While you can see the gun, many people might take it for a novelty item. Holsters like a fanny
    pack or safepacker or anything that completely disguises that a handgun is contained within become concealed carry.

Post imported post

IANAL, but you're safe as long as the grips are showing and a typical person can infer that it is a handgun. Since the hammer and grips are showing in your case, you're A-ok. I personally won't use an OC holster that leaves the front of the gun hanging in the breeze and I've never been asked for my CHP when stopped.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I believe the law is aiming towards holsters like this belt buckle holster. While you can see the gun, many people might take it for a novelty item.
    Holy cow! Is that real??? Have you a link?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

http://www.naaminis.com/custcry.html

I think there were also pager holsters that completely enclosed firearms and may have also allowed the gun to be fired from within. Anyhow those are now regulated as AOWs IIRC.

I should mention that the NAA buckle 'holster' isn't illegal, it's just not OC and I wouldn't carry it without a CHP and not in a restaurant in Va.

Post imported post

I've seen the illegal book and pager holsters, but that buckle is new to me. I might have to get one of those down the road just because I think it's a nifty idea and one heck of a fashion statement :P. It would be even more awesome if VA. would get around to allowing us to carry concealed into restaurants. Other than that, I've got my CHP, so I'm not worried about it being considered concealed.