• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO meetup after Board of Supervisors' Meeting (MONDAY, 20 NOV)?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Need everyone there at the County HQ (AKA Taj mahal) to speak - scheduled now for 5PM, they will probably be running a little late.

At http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/bdagenda/11-20BoardPackage.pdfthe County Board of Supervisors announces that it is taking public comment on it's proposed 2007 legislative agenda - the draft at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/2007legisprogram.pdfinlcudes item #7 on page 7 to allow localities to ban guns at "police stations" - read the tiem - they even complain about "open carriage!"

This is a stealth move to block gun carry at the Supervisors' buildings which aslo serve as police stations - but the police station parts of the facility are already off limits to the public, meaning that they are really just trying to ban gun carry at events like VCDL's monthly meetings! reagrdless, the VA preemption statute already exempts localities as to rules for "jails" anyway.

After the hearing, maybe we can get together for some open carry at a local restauant.

VAopencarry

imported post

Mike, I have no knowledge of FFX county government but I am guessing with some googling I can find the seat of county government. Is the room this meeting will be held easy to identify? Carry is ok? Please advise.

I will be there if work schedule does not preclude me from doing so.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Carry is legal there I will be concealed carrying with a sports jacket, no tie.I will probably open carry later at a restaurant.

We need to speak up and embarass the Supervisors' over this blatant power grab to disarm citizens.

Just show up, and sit in audience, and wait for Connolly to ask if anyone wishes to speak - best bet would be to email Nancy.Vehrs@fairfaxcounty.govand tell her your name and address and say you wish to speak at the public hearing re: the 2007 legislative agenda - that way they will call your name.

The item is scheduled for 5PM - I will be running late, and I hope the item is a little late as well!

We need folks there to speak - the video will be captured, including anything stupid the anti-gun Supervisors say, and we can point folks to the URL.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Is the room this meeting will be held easy to identify? Carry is ok? Please advise.

Yes - walk straight in, ignore guard to right, bear right thru big brown doors into auditorium, take a seat, watch show!

OC is legal there. But since it is cold outside, you might weant to take a seat first, then take your jacket off :cool:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

We had good coverage of gun owners at the meeting tonight. About 4 or 5 spoke against it and no individuals were speaking for it.

hirundo82

imported post

From the way they word it in the article, the problems mostly come from law enfarcement carrying and having their guns taken. Maybe they should prohibit carry by cops in police stations.

But of course they wouldn't do that. Cops are professional enough to carry a gun.

TEX1N

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Here's the Washington Post link to the article. Phil was quoted. Im sure that the "average" reader has no clue as to why Fx.Co. is pushing this issue in the Va. General Assembly, it should have been stated in the article.
I love the way the article completely changes subjects about 2/3's of the way through it. It was like he ran out of things to talk about on the gun issue so he just starts stalking about minimum wage, etc.

rabbit994

imported post

It is a non issue. Most police station assaults generally happen in the open public areas where there are no metal detectors or pat downs. Also most of the time, they open fire upon entering or in the parking lot. Besides, we have seen what gun free school zones do to our kids.

VAopencarry

imported post

Seriously I have no idea how anyone can look at that proposed legislation and think that would stop something like the Sully Station shooting, or anyone with malice in their mind.:banghead:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I couldn't make it. I sent this today, after the hearing:

Sir, I learned only Monday of the meeting at which the proposed legislative would be discussed and open for comment. I would have attended to speak, had I been able.

I urge you strongly to consider deleting item #7, which would prohibit law-abiding citizens from exercising an oft-fought but constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms for the protection of themselves and their families.

This effort seems an incremental effort to cause legally armed citizens to leave firearms in cars while they transact business - a move that is highly dangerous, ais it makes the auto more inviting to criminal activity. It's not the lawfully armed citizen the police need to fear, sir, but the criminals. The criminals who are already brought through non-public entrances - think about it. Would you want ANY dangerous person, whether or not he'd been violent so far, brought through an area you, your family, or your consituents may be sitting? The criminals who, if considered dangerous, are already held in a detention facility, usually, and seldom to a police station.

The police have "authorized personnel only" areas behind shatterproof windows, locked steel doors, and other protective measures. No legally armed citizen, unless he be a law-enforcement officer, is there.

Please visit the government statistics on the number of firearms crimes committed by legally armed citizens, sir, and then tell me the police fear us?

Sir, as a mother, a 22-year military veteran, a voter, and legally armed American, I urge you to consider removal of this issue from the legislative agenda.

Collier4385

imported post

It's fascinating that the Washington Post article does describe the individual as mentally ill... So basically legislation can cure a mental ill individual from committing a heinous crime? Its like being told you have cancer, but you are handed Robitussin to make it all better. Gun control treats all the wrong symptoms.

Legislation will not stop someone who is bent on committing a crime. It will not stop the mentally ill. Ignorance and stupitity are the worst weapons of them all!!!:cuss:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

It's already illegal to shoot the police.

And VA preemption does not cover jails (presumably including all sorts of detention facilities) so Fairfax County is free to ban guns from these facilties.

Since the mad shooter started shooting at or before he even got to the parking lot, presumably the County want to ban guns in any parking lots too near so called "police stations" which are really just regional government centers where public meetings are held.