• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a quick question....

theacted

imported post

Quick question that i need an answer for...we do a lot of bear hunting in potter county, so instead of carrying a big old .270 around in the brush I carry my .44 super red hawk! Of course we do lots of drives for those of you who know nothing about hunting, so we are in and out of vehicles a lot. My question is am I allowed to keep the gun loaded and jump in the vehicle during hunting season? The discussion came up and was a very heated discussion, so if someone can tell me where to find info that would be great or any answers or feedback........

ltmdl90

imported post

The gun must beunloaded, Follow the hunting laws all guns must be unloaded. Even if you have a CCW. The game laws overule the CCW.

ltmdl90

imported post

Also you are not permitted to carry a loaded firearm on a ATV or snowmobile.

Unloaded is fine on a ATV or snowmobile.

Steve in PA

imported post

Unless you have a "license to carry" in which case you can keep the handgun loaded.

By the way, I was out today bear hunting with my SRH.

The game laws do not apply when in a vehicle, the carry laws do.

Steve in PA

imported post

In case you were wondering, here is the section;

Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.
(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.
(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:
  • (1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.
    (2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.
    (3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).
    (4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.
    (5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

[align=justify](6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits). [/align]
The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

[align=justify](c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree. [/align]

ltmdl90

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
Unless you have a "license to carry" in which case you can keep the handgun loaded.

Sorry, you are completely wrong your "Liscense to carry" means nothing when you are going to and from hunting and hunting. You can not carry a loaded firearm in your car. When you leave your house to go hunting you must conceed to the game laws.

Even if you have a LTCF. You absoutly will get a fine.

Steve in PA

imported post

ltmdl90 wrote:
Steve in PA wrote:

Sorry, you are completely wrong your "Liscense to carry" means nothing when you are going to and from hunting and hunting. You can not carry a loaded firearm in your car. When you leave your house to go hunting you must conceed to the game laws.

Even if you have a LTCF. You absoutly will get a fine.

I guess you failed to read the quote I posted above.

You are completely wrong. Any hunting laws end when I get to my vehicle. I do not need to go home and change clothes to be able to carry with my license.

Steve in PA

imported post

Maybe you should read the laws before making accusations about other people and their knowledge.

For the record, I'm a LEO in PA and a firearms instructor. Which means I know the gun laws. This is not second hand knowledge, but fact. I can back up and prove everything I say.

Did you also know that if you are hunting and take an animal, you may help on further hunts by being a driver (as in making animal drives) and carry your CCW handgun?

Its true.

Hunting laws concerning the carrying of handguns end at the vehicle, unless you have a license to carry. A Sportsmans Permit does not allow you to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, which means if that is what you have, then it must be unloaded.

theacted

imported post

Steve..........Can you explain to me what a Sportsman Firearm Permit is?? So even if I have my CWP I still cant carry my pistol in the vehicle? Am i understanding you guys right?? Seems to me if you have a CWP you should be able to carry anytime....

Steve in PA

imported post

A Sportsman's Permit is a permit that allows you to carry concealed while you are hunting, fishing or trapping or training dogs.It MUST be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license.

A Sportsman's Permit does NOT allow you to carry concealed at any other time, nor does it allow you to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. (A "license to carry" allows you to carry at any time and in your vehicle.)

(c) Sportsman’s firearm permit.—
(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman’s firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman’s firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman’s firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

theacted

imported post

So one more question for you steve....one of my uncles finally decided to call the state game commission. Of course I knew what they would say, they said that your LTC doesnt over role the state game commission laws, i know you said your an LEO just wondering what you have to say about that? The way its sounds Im not allowed to keep my .44 Mag loaded and jump in a vehicle during hunting season or even when im hunting....

Steve in PA

imported post

Look, a LTC allows you to carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle, period. It doesn't matter if you are going hunting, coming from hunting or going to the grocery store.

§6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.—A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

I was hunting with my SRH .44mag on Tuesday and was talking to a PGC officer. When I got done I got into my vehicle WITH my fully loaded .44mag. There is nothing illegal about it.

Read the section I posted from the game laws, you can get in your vehicle with a loaded handgun. I don't know how many times I can explain it. What game law is being broken? None, absolutely none.

A LTC allows a person to carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle. Doesn't matter what kind of handgun it is, revolver, semi-auto, etc. And because I am a LEO I do not need a LTC, because I am granted an exception.

A LTC does not supercede the game law when it comes to carrying semi-auto's, which is why you cannot have one on you when you are hunting. Even as a LEO I cannot carry my semi-auto handgun while hunting because it is considered an illegal weapon while hunting.

So, I've posted the law which allows you to carry in a vehicle (PACC 6106),

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

I've posted the game law which says the same thing (2503).

Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.
(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.
(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.
(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.
(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).
(4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.
(5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

• [align=justify][/align]

[align=justify][/align]

[align=justify][/align]

Steve in PA

imported post

You said your uncle asked them, asked them what?

Did he ask them if a LTC supercedes the game law? The answer would be no, because they are probably assuming you intend to carry a semi-auto while hunting.

Did your uncle specifically ask does having a LTC allow me to get into my vehicle with a loaded handgun and drive to another location?

There is nothing illegal about me carrying a 9 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk if I had a LTC, or in my case nothing illegal about carrying that on my LEO credentials. There is nothing illegal about you carrying the csame handgun with a LTC.

Saying you can't carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle (with a LTC) while hunting is stupid. When I get to my vehicle I am no longer hunting. Doesn't matter if I am going to another spot, PA 6106 kicks in if I have my LTC (or fall into one of the exceptions).

DJ TURNz

imported post

Steve,

Since you seem to be up on your stuff in Pa, I have a question.

I have a Ruger GP100, legal for hunting I would assume. If I want to go rifle hunting next year, do I need a special licence or tag to carry my ruger? I do have LTCF. Can I hunt only with my ruger on a standard huting license or do I need to get a pistol tag? I plan to hunt next year as my first year hunting, so most of this is foreign to me.

If I can carry the ruger without special tag, during which seasons can I do this? I know I can't have it during archery, but what else?

Steve in PA

imported post

1) Yes, your Ruger is legal for use in certain seasons, bear, deer, where firearms are allowed.

2) No, you do not need a special license since you already have a LTC. If you did not have the LTC, you would need the Sportsman's Permit which allows concealed carry with hunting, fishing and trapping licenses. PA is an open carry state, so if you were carrying the handgun openly while hunting, you would not need either of the licenses.

3) No special tag. On Tuesday and Wednesday of this past bear season I hunted with my Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag only (no rifle). This week I will probably have it out while deer hunting.

4) You will have to look up each season and find out what weapons are allowed to be used/carried during that season. For instance, during small game season you cannot carry a handgun larger than .27 caliber, even if you have a LTC.

There is current legislation in the works which will alllow persons with a LTC to carry during hunting seasons, to include archery. Right now you cannot carry during certain seasons and in those season where you can, you cannot carry a semi-auto pistol. This new law will change that.

This is my hunting rig;

f11fa60b.jpg

DJ TURNz

imported post

Looks like Rendell signed this on Wednesday. Takes effect in 60 days:

BILL NO.: HB 2563
PRIME SPONSOR: Staback
PRINTER’S NO.: 3806
BILL SUMMARY

A. SYNOPSIS:
This bill provides for the possession of a firearm while engaged in any
activity authorized under the Pennsylvania Game Code.

B. SUMMARY OF THE BILL:
�� This bill makes it lawful for a law enforcement officer or
any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm to be in
possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm (handgun) while engaged in any
activity regulated by Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated

Statutes.
�� This legislation does not permit the hunting or harvesting
of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not prescribed in Title 34
(Game).

DJ TURNz

imported post

Forgive my ignorance as I do not hunt yet, but I thought you hunted state game land not state parks?

I sent an email to my lawyer friend that told me about it. I assume he will have the answer, though Imay not hear from him til Monday.