• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in style?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Is there a particular manner in which you can open carry and still look... hmm... professional? As a web design majorI will be dressed to theteealot so I would like some suggestions. Can you stil maintain a professional appearance? Or is that best left to concealed?

jimwyant

imported post

OWB carry in a custom leather holster of your chosen style or design would probably look best. Unfortunately, they tend to be expensive.

While this style might not match your normal wardrobe, check out some of the ideas in this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/700.html

I seldom need to "dress up", but when I do (and decide to OC), I carry in the nicest leather holster that I have for the "weapon of the day". Normally this is my Ruger Alaskan in a holster made by Sunrise Leather in Florida (check them out at sunriseleather.com.)

HT702RugerAlaskanholster.jpg

There are plenty of folks who do excellent leather work, but Sunrise happened to be who I found first. I paid $170 for the lined model, and it is by far the nicest holster I have ever owned. The picture is from their website, and it doesn't do the holster justice. It is not a fancy design like the Tucker models in the thread listed above, but is well made, and the quality shows. It fits close to the body, so it will work for CC with a cover garment, or as a nice OC dress holster. As an added bonus, it isn't too flashy to wear with jeans. Pick one that matches your taste and wardrobe. My $0.02.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a Blackhawk CQC holster for my Glock, and I use it with the paddle for both open and concealed carry (it came with both the paddle and the belt attachments) because it's really comfortable. I don't have a lot of experience with the belt holster because I don't have a belt that's sturdy enough. I like the convenience of just slipping the paddle holster on instead of taking extra time to thread on the belt loop attachment. One downside to the paddle is that it's devilishly difficult to remove unless you take your pants down first. Some poeple file down the bottom nubbin that hooks the holster to your pants, but I think that defeats one of the retention features of the holster. If someone tried to disarm youif you filed the retention nub off they may not get the gun out of the holster, but they may get the holster out of your pants.