• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

colonial Williamsburg

D

Desertdoc

imported post

So today I went to colonial Williamsburg and not wanting to be harassed by their security I posed the question about their firearm’s policy. Normally I wouldn’t even ask such a question but I was just wondering what they would say so I ask the lady at the ticket counter. As normal she really didn’t know so she offered to call their security office. A guard was dispatched to my location so he may talk to me and answer any questions that I may have. After almost 10 min. An armed guard approached and wanted to know why I had a firearm with me. I explained to him that 99% of the time I had my gun with me and since the fine state of VA allowed citizens to be armed I was within my rights. He then told me that it was private property and . . . ( that is where I cut him off ). I told him that I knew this and that is why I asked. He then assured me that my family and I were safe there and that there was no real reason why I should be armed. I once again asked him if it was against their policy to have a firearm there and he finally told me no. He once again advised me that having my gun with me would only cause a number of calls to the security office. He also told me that I might have the cops called on me once I was on city property. I then explained that the cops could be called because I had faith in them and their knowledge of the law. I then reminded him that this was the birth place that gave me the right to bear arms here in Virginia and I thanked him for the info. I also told him that since I was within my rights that I would be carrying my firearm with me. I really don’t think he liked my choice but he had already told me that it wasn’t against their policy so what was he to do. While I toured the wonderful old city, I never had any problems. I even joined in and marched with the volunteers that were gathered from the crowd. We were given old fashion riffles and made into the continental army. As we were turning in our arms one gentlemen joked and said "I’ll take your arms from you sir . . . well at lease one of them." It was a good day and a fine place to show my support to the 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment. I encourage everyone in the area to visit this place and to proudly display your firearms.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Good job knowing your laws and politely standing on your right to carry.

After almost 10 min. An armed guard approached and wanted to know why I had a firearm with me. I explained to him that 99% of the time I had my gun with me and since the fine state of VA allowed citizens to be armed I was within my rights. He then told me that it was private property and . . . ( that is where I cut him off ). I told him that I knew this and that is why I asked. He then assured me that my family and I were safe there and that there was no real reason why I should be armed.

I find it interesting that a person who is himself armed deems it unnecessary for you to dothe same.:banghead:

LoveMyCountry