• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bike riding + sidearm

blackpuma

imported post

My attention was directed to this forum as a place to consider posing my question. I've been reading the forum for the last half-hour or more and am happy to find nice folk.

I've taken up bike riding again (human-powered, not motorbike). I have a recumbent tadpole trike that I ride (see below). It's very comfortable and a load of fun, but it's inconvenient to take my sidearm iwth me. I can carry it on my hip, but I find that when I'm bearing into hills the hilt keeps banging into the seat frame something fierce.

I'm looking for input on where one might carry a sidearm without looking like a crazy. Recumbent bikes aren't common so I draw a lot of attention to myself anyhow. This in and of itself doesn't bother me, though I'm not about to dress up in those brightly-coloured, skin-tight clown suits any time soon. Then again.... it's entirely possible that even if I strapped a fluorescent pink gun to my forehead people would only notice the unusual bike.

Thank you very much.

cruiserrear800.jpg

zookeeperk9

imported post

You might try a belly band holster. It would position the firearm in a location on your body that is not in as much motion as your waist. One drawback though might be moisture on the firearm from perspiration.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Looking at the handles you already have made me think of ...

427px-

Now it may be a little front heavy and you might find yourself flying backwards now and then but I guarantee that people won't even notice your bike.

LoveMyCountry

psychophipps

imported post

I would just use a comfortable IWB/OWB carry method just behind your back (4-5 o'clock). That seat looks more than springy enough for you to be comfy while carrying this way. Just make sure your jacket is pulled down before you get up and you should be good to go. I carry my Glock 17 in a C.O.P. OWB belt slide from Galco with a matching two-mag pouch and can sit down at the office, drive, fall asleep on the couch, etc. without any issues at all carrying in this manner.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )