• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax School board can't read.

cs9c1

imported post

This is the reply I got from the Fairfax School Board after I followed a VCDL campaign to try and stop an anti-gun legislative agenda. On top is their reply, with the e-mail I sent them below.

Am I missing something here or did they not read my e-mail?

This response is being sent on behalf of Mr. Ilryong Moon, Chairman of the School Board

Thank you for your comments regarding the Student Safety position in the Fairfax County School Board's 2007 Legislative Program, which was adopted on]November 14, 2006. The School Board appreciates your concern for the safety and security of our students, and I am responding as Chairman on behalf of the School Board.

Maintaining safe and secure school facilities is of the utmost importance to the Fairfax County School Board. We have carefully considered this issue and have for many years adopted positions either identical or similar to the ones you have commented on. The specific position you refer to, "allow[ing] local school boards to be rigorous in banning the possession of weapons on school property in order to protect the safety of students in the school environment," has been adopted by the Fairfax County School Board in one form or another every year since 1994.

The School Board will start consideration of next year’s Legislative Program in September 2007, and you may contact individual School Board members about proposed positions at that time. Thank you again for contacting the School Board.

-----Original Message-----
Sent:
Monday, November 27, 2006 3:00 PM
To: School Board Members; Dale, Jack
Subject: Please drop gun ban agenda items from 2007 Legislative Program!

Dear FCPS School Board and Superintendent Dale:

I am very dissatisfied with the Fairfax County School Board's draft legislative agenda, which states in part that the FCSB supports banning firearms in recreation centers, banning the sale of BB and pellet guns to minors, and allowing schools to complete ban guns on school property.

The last thing we need to is to create a confusing patchwork of firearm laws in Virginia, or to worsen the already outrageous problem that Virginia law largely makes K-12 schools a victim disarmament zone for children, teachers, staff, and the visiting public. Please delete these two agenda items.

Furthermore, I ask that you to add a NEW agenda item to your program to urge the General Assembly to amend Va. Code Section 18.2-308.1 to conform to federal law by exempting concealed handgun permit holders from any restriction on firearm carriage on K-12 school grounds. THAT would be an effective "student safety" measure and criminal deterrent for K-12 schools.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

Sincerely,

Cliff Skelton

TEX1N

imported post

I also received thesame form e-mail back from them. I even added two of my own paragraphs to the start of the suggested e-mailfrom the VCDL. I think we will have to end up dealing with thestate legislature on this issue; as the Fairfax School Board is probably not going to change their minds.

Although I still think it's good to let them know that we (gun owners) exist, and that we are not afraid to speak up! I wonder how many e-mails they got?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, I got that same letter too!

I'm working on how to phrase my response. I do not want to be belligerent, but I do want to make my point that perhaps continuing something they've been unsuccessful at since 1994 is not the smartest use of their time!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

rabbit994

imported post

I'm a Manassas City Resident but maybe printing off your email and putting a stamp on it and going send mail is the way to go. Issue isn't dead in your mind so keep pounding them.

TEX1N

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I'm a Manassas City Resident but maybe printing off your email and putting a stamp on it and going send mail is the way to go. Issue isn't dead in your mind so keep pounding them.
You don't have to be in Fairfax to e-mail the school board. They are pushing for a statewide bill that would affect everyone in VA. Therefore, IMO anyone in VA can and should e-mail the board and let them know where we stand.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good point, though. I deliberately changed both the subject line and the first paragraph, because I don't believe in sending form letters. I have to customize - to show why I care and to show I've given the subject some thought, and have not just become sheep myself. Form letters don't do the trick.

So putting a stamp on a response and mailing it is the next step - after I respond to this "reply". I'll actually send one to each member of the school board this weekend.