• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NM, Starting to OC.

KB3CGS

imported post

I moved to NM about a month ago from Maryland. I have been studying the laws of the state.

I started OC'ing today. It felt weird at first, but is growing on me. Just hard to get over the way guns are viewed here versusMD.

I went hiking in Gila National Forest this morning. Nobody even seemed to notice. So after hiking and doing some Jeepin I headed back to Silver City for dinner. I stopped in Arbys, and it was crowded. I recieved not even a second glance. I love it. In MD the swat would have been called!

For the curious, I carry a Glock 29 in a Don Hume 721 Double Nine with retention strap, and a Fobus paddle double magholder. I generally dress in jeans and a t-shirt or button down flannel as weather dictates.

OC is great! Finally in a state that gets it! :D

KB3CGS

imported post

Thanks!

It is a great deal different and very much appreciated. It is nice to see that some people still understand that guns are tools and not evil things to be scared to death of. Life is great here in NM.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

KB3CGS wrote:
I moved to NM about a month ago from Maryland. I have been studying the laws of the state.
Don't forget to update your new address for the FCC.

Welcome Todd, enjoy you new found freedoms!

KB3CGS

imported post

I have updated my address and started a request for a vanity 5 call.

Still Oc'ing around here and loving it. It is hard to get used to the lack of stares. Getting less self concious about it now and much more confident. Not seeing many others carrying around town, but have seen some other OC'ers up in the national forest.

Here is a pic of my rig:
DSCN1644.jpg

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I open carried in AZ and WY a lot. I am worried about New Mexico. It seems cops are less intelligent there.... What do you think?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

That profession (police) has never attracted the brightest people or even above-average intelligent people...that's just how it is. I remember once case a few years back where a policedepartment refused to hire a guy because he was "too intelligent"and I believe the Chief said a real intelligent person would be too bored with the job or something like that. IIRC, the guy sued but I don't recall what the result was or where that guy is today.

I'd say NM cops are no worse/better than other states. We have some here in this town who should have been fired long ago with all the complaints they have in their personal records but that hasn't happened; how they passed the psychological testing I sure don't know. And the ones here don't know as much about laws as they should...so they inadvertently trample on one's civil rights...or maybe it's deliberate, I really don't know.

I live in TX (El Paso)but occasionally travel to NM, mainly while crusing on my bike via the back roads up to Las Cruces (and more rarely Alamogordo). Some longer trips take me to visit my sister in Rio Rancho and I often come back via a big Eastern NM "loop" from Albuquerque to Clines Corner, then South to Roswell, East to Ruidoso/Cloudcroft, then back to El Paso (sometimes through Carlsbad instead of Ruidoso/Cloudcroft).

Anyway,it just recently occured to me thatsince I AM in NM then, why not start OC-ing myself? As I have said, the more people OC-ing the better...so I may as well do my part, too. In fact, I just got a holster that will be just right for carry while on my bike.

Consequently, I plan to start OC-ing as soon as I cross the state line into NM...and will come back here to report what happened...or didn't happen...as people have done here before re: their carrying adventures/misadventures. Fortunately, however, MOST of the reports I've read are positive experiences!

Usually, my routine is tojust cruise around for a while and then stop at coffeeshops like Village Inn, Dennys or IHOP, so those would be the places where I would be encountering people close-up. Sometimes a visit to BestBuy, Office Depot or a supermarket like Albertsons is on my itinerary. And of course a gas station!

Whatever,I believe I WILL OC from now on when I am in NM.

-- John D.

P.S. Has that bill been passed in NM yet allowing one to OC in a place that sells alcohol (like supermarkets, wherealcohol is not consumed) or did it not make it that far? Sorry for asking if this has already been made law.

-- JD

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, it passed. But it will be effective as of July only. So, no gas stations or grocery stores for now. And even after July you cannot carry to places that sell alcohol for on premise consumption.

KB3CGS

imported post

I was of the understanding that this bill would allow only concealed carry in businesses that sell booze for off premises. Was it made to allow OC now instead of CC only?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I don't think so. I got a bitch email from Steve Aikens telling me to "stay out of NM politics" due to my efforts to try to include OC into the package by people calling the Senator who sponsored. He was becoming increasingly belligerant with each and every response I was sending back to him telling him my reasons.

Rules for contacting me:

Rule 1) Insisting that I stop doing something later on in the email, when you insult me as a "25 year old snot nosed know it all right" at the beginning, is likely to elicit laughter and an unwillingness to do what is asked out of general principle.

Rule 2) Never ever assume I, as a lone person from out of New Mexico, have some sort of magic wand to destroy your bills. If your friends in the Legislature are so spineless that they're scared by a few calls from out of state, then they aren't really your friends.

Rule 3) When you have a reputation to uphold, never send uppity emails that you don't expect to get posted all over creation. Thus far, I have decided not to post Steve Aikens' insulting emails to this forum or any other. Thus far......

-Lonnie

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

KB3CGS,

No...OC is still out. See Lonnie's post at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum39/1328.html:

"http://legis.state.nm.us/Sessions/07%20Regular/final/HB0588.pdf

The bill passed and will be effective 7/1/2007. It will be for concealed carry ONLY and open carry will remain a felony."

Lonnie,

That'sshowing some class...not posting someone's personal e-mail even though it is despicable. Propernetiquette saysNEVER post someone's personal e-mails unless premission from that person to do so is received.

Paraphrasing said personal e-mails, however, is certainly appropraite so people can judge the individual's sanity/manners/reasonableness (or lack thereof) for themselves.

I don't know why some CC people are so against OC people.

-- John D.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sigmund Freud said that fear of guns is a sign of sexual immaturity. That may be the explanation for opposing OC.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Count wrote:
Sigmund Freud said that fear of guns is a sign of sexual immaturity. That may be the explanation for opposing OC.

Aikens is not anti-open carry. I might disagree with his political tactics, he might act like an ass to people that he disagree with, but he's not anti-open carry.

Thaine

imported post

Steve is very opinionated and if your opinion doesn’t agree with his, then he seems to assume you are wrong. This carries over into his CCW classes and recommendations. A friend used my 1917 Colt during his class and all SA could do was bad mouth it as too how it would break, etc. That 90 yr old gun functioned fine, while his rental guns failed twice. NM CCW allows carry of any gun same caliber or smaller than you qualified with. Thus .45 auto and revolver pretty well covers you unless you have a pair of 50s. I wouldn’t worry too much about his opinions.

Hamil1

imported post

KB3CGS wrote:

I started OC'ing today. It felt weird at first, but is growing on me. Just hard to get over the way guns are viewed here versusMD.

I went hiking in Gila National Forest this morning. Nobody even seemed to notice. So after hiking and doing some Jeepin I headed back to Silver City for dinner. I stopped in Arbys, and it was crowded. I recieved not even a second glance. I love it. In MD the swat would have been called!

For the curious, I carry a Glock 29 in a Don Hume 721 Double Nine with retention strap, and a Fobus paddle double magholder. I generally dress in jeans and a t-shirt or button down flannel as weather dictates.

OC is great! Finally in a state that gets it! :D
Silver City Town Ordinances... just an FYI from http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New%20Mexico/silvercity_nm/townofsilvercitynewmexicocodeofordinance?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:silvercity_nm

§ 132.049 PROHIBITED USES OF WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

§ 132.041 UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A DEADLY WEAPON.

KB3CGS

imported post

Hamil1 wrote:
Silver City Town Ordinances... just an FYI from http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New%20Mexico/silvercity_nm/townofsilvercitynewmexicocodeofordinance?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:silvercity_nm

§ 132.049 PROHIBITED USES OF WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

§ 132.041 UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A DEADLY WEAPON.

Thanks for the information. Your links did not work for me though. I have never had any problem with the PD and I have been OC'ing while conversing with several. They only want to know what it is. NM is a no preemption state so I am curious if anybody else has read this ordinance and if it some how holds water. Thanks, Todd