• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"The Starbucks Incident"

SixBravo

imported post

I had heard about this incident numerous times through the past year or so on gun forums. I saw it mentioned a few times in one of the 21-page posts. I have GOT to comment on this:

I worked at that Starbucks as the shift lead the next morning. You cannot imagine how many phone calls I got about the incident. Quite a few angry gents called-in asking if I could verify the story about the previous nights incident and if I was fully aware of the Commonwealth's laws on firearms... I answered in the negative the first time and was educated. haha

Let me say that I worked at just about every store in the area in the 3 years I was a shift lead there. At this time, my home store was actually the "Marketplace" store in Vienna (the one Taylor Behl worked at). I have been extremely friendly with the Vienna PD (those motorcycle guys are friends for life)for quite some time so I was fairly well versed about the gun laws, but not completely up to date with them.

Well fastforwards backward to the following morning. I immediately asked someone who had worked the night before if something had happened. They proceeded to recount the entire incident - what struck me was how it had happened that the cops had gotten called if the two guys in question had been OC'ing.

The following is what was told to me by an employee who had actually worked during the incident:
As it turns out, when the two guys walked in, they were wearing long coats. No one saw their guns. It wasn't until they sat down and took off their jackets, that the guns were openly displayed. At that point, one of the patrons became very nervous about it and told the shift on duty that they needed to call the police about these two kids with guns. When the cops show up in record time (supposedly there were between 5 and 8 responding units) they detained the kids. Their coats were a huge part of the reason they were being detained, but they mainteined that their coats had been pulled back so that one could see the firearms on their hips.

Starbucks has a strict "do anything the customer tells you" policy. I can see an employee getting berated by one of those customers for refusing. Trust me, of all the stores I worked at, THAT ONE had the customers who were more rude to us than any other place - by far. That store had/has a turn-over rate of nearly 400% every year because of it. And if someone demanded that an employee call the police, it would happen.

At the risk of causing a massive backlash against me, I'm not sure Starbucks should be attacked for what happened. Their have a serious policy against fighting criminals or carrying weapons, but the company is not anti-2nd Amendment by any means. I hope nobody has held ill towards the company because of the incident. Hell, I used to give OC'ers discounts. haha As well, I'm sure that VCDL invesitaged this to its death so some of my facts may be wrong - between the 2nd hand info and how long ago it happened. I do rememebr the feeling these these kids seemed like they were begging to get busted for something.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This event was a long time ago my friend.

I OC in StarBucks all the time in VA. Never had any trouble at all, thanks to publicity like the Starbaucks incident you now comment upon.

mercutio545

imported post

Yes I OC'd at the Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble in Short Pump the other night in fact. I think the sherriff there saw my gun (on busy nights there is usually one there just walking around, patrolling the store), but he didn't say anything. I've never had any problems at Starbucks.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Exactly the same in Northern VA - open carry "incidents," if handled the right way to bring maximum publicity, serve to educate everyone so that such incidents become rarer and rarer.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've OC'd a number of times at the Grafton (York Co.) Starbucks with nary a comment fror patrons or staff, just the way I like it. It looks like the times have changed since the NoVa incident....and the Short Pump incident!

Tomahawk

imported post

Yeah, this was a couple of years ago, now, but it's good to hear from someone who was close to the incident. You say the story you heard is that the two guys were CC'ing at first, but claimed they weren't. Why the argument? Does Starbucks serve alcohol?

BTW, anyone know which Starbucks this was? If my guess is right, it's the one up the road from me, here.

VAopencarry

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Yeah, this was a couple of years ago, now, but it's good to hear from someone who was close to the incident. You say the story you heard is that the two guys were CC'ing at first, but claimed they weren't. Why the argument? Does Starbucks serve alcohol?

BTW, anyone know which Starbucks this was? If my guess is right, it's the one up the road from me, here.
They probably did not have CHP's. I know one didn't, he was only 19.

Champps/Starbucks Incident

SixBravo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Starbucks on Leesburg Pike in Tyson's Corner. It's in the same shopping center as a 7-11, Ranger Surplus,Tower Records and Panera. I think its right across the street from an SAIC office or maybe that funky looking building with the elevator shafts on the outside. LOL Like 1/2 a mile from 123.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Viper_998th_IP/SBUX-Location.jpg

Yeah the problem was that the cops realized someone was saying they were carrying concealed before they sat down. As stated just before - they weren't 21 and had no business CC'in. Cops couldn't prove they were though. 'Bucks has some really good security systems and cameras, but the managersaren't given access codes to rewind and review.

And no, Starbucks does not serve alcohol at their normal stores. I believe some of them do, but they are overseas or in airports.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SixBravo wrote:
Yeah the problem was that the cops realized someone was saying they were carrying concealed before they sat down. As stated just before - they weren't 21 and had no business CC'in. Cops couldn't prove they were though. 'Bucks has some really good security systems and cameras, but the managersaren't given access codes to rewind and review.

This is the first time that this claim has ever surfaced. I think you are a troll. Consider:

1. Here is the original VA-ALERT report on Wednesday 16 June 2004: http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=41632&FILTER=Starbucks

2. The adult men were improperly arrested forviolating Va. Code § 18.2-287.4 ("Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty"), an offense which requires, inter alia, as an element of the offense that the person be carrying a gun with a magazine capacity exceeding 20 rounds.

3. Also, the men were arrested on Monday 14 June 2004 - in Virginia, it is too hot to wear coats in June - why would anyone have any coat in Virginia in June, let alone "long coats." And spotting an openly carried handgun once a person sits down is very hard - your story makes no sense.

4. In this day and age of the PATROT Act, are you saying that the police never asked for, or got a sapeona for, the Starbucks surveillance tapes? Don't you think StarBucks corporate would bend over backwards to assist the police in the investigation of a possible crime?

SixBravo

imported post

As I stated before:

"As well, I'm sure that VCDL invesitaged this to its death so some of my facts may be wrong - between the 2nd hand info and how long ago it happened."

If you think I'm a troll, I'll just delete my account and stay away. I won't throw a fit about it. Not lookin to cause problems, just wanted to share what I had heard about it. No big deal, man.