Thread: Prince William County Police Gun Safety Course

Post imported post

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?t...36000130000709

The PWC Police offer a gun safety course, but you have to take a criminal background and police records check. It also does not qualify for the CHP.

Is there a way to get what is taught in the class involving OC and places of carry? Would the course outline be under FOIA?

Oris this just a way to get a list of gun owners. Maybe it is just the drugs making me paranoid -- I have not carried for 10 days now. Stupid kidney stones, hospital stay,and pain meds.

Post imported post

If I had to guess, the background check is probably a CYA. They don't want to be embarrassed by teaching firearm safety to a felon. I wonder if they would accept a CHP in lieu of running another background check.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

The application unlawfully elicits SSN disclosure without warning that this is not required, etc, under Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act.

The application unconstitutionally denied permanent resident aliens the right to apply.

Somebody in PW need to complain.

Post imported post

I will talk to you about the process of complaining when I am fully recovered.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    The application unlawfully elicits SSN disclosure without warning that this is not required, etc, under Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act.

The application unconstitutionally denied permanent resident aliens the right to apply.

Somebody in PW need to complain.

No permanent resident aliens? Begad, VA, as well as KY,will have us riding at the back of the bus next! I have also just emailed the Buckeyes about their new "citizens only" provision for CC permits! It's almost got me wanting to bite the heads off a packet of Gummi-Bears!

Possumboy makes a good point, too, and I am becoming exceedingly suspicious of Greeks bearing gifts!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:

It also does not qualify for the CHP.
    I disagree with their assertion that the class does not qualify as training for the CHP.

18.2-308 is very clear

"Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;"

Post imported post

My guess is that they do not give you a certificate at the end of the course, or they put wording on it that says it is not valid for CHP.

jpierce wrote:
    possumboy wrote:

It also does not qualify for the CHP.
    I disagree with their assertion that the class does not qualify as training for the CHP.

18.2-308 is very clear

"Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;"

Post imported post

Hmm, then somebody who lives in PW should call the Police Chief and make sure these things get fixed!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

You know it would be interesting if someone takes the course and then applies for a CHP using that course as training.

Post imported post

I spoke to Captain Miller of the PWPD today - he indicated that he was going to correct all 3 issues before he course commences.