• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prince William County Police Gun Safety Course

possumboy

imported post

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040036000130000709

The PWC Police offer a gun safety course, but you have to take a criminal background and police records check. It also does not qualify for the CHP.

Is there a way to get what is taught in the class involving OC and places of carry? Would the course outline be under FOIA?

Oris this just a way to get a list of gun owners. Maybe it is just the drugs making me paranoid -- I have not carried for 10 days now. Stupid kidney stones, hospital stay,and pain meds.

VAopencarry

imported post

If I had to guess, the background check is probably a CYA. They don't want to be embarrassed by teaching firearm safety to a felon. I wonder if they would accept a CHP in lieu of running another background check.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The application unlawfully elicits SSN disclosure without warning that this is not required, etc, under Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act.

The application unconstitutionally denied permanent resident aliens the right to apply.

Somebody in PW need to complain.

TrueBrit

imported post

Mike wrote:
The application unlawfully elicits SSN disclosure without warning that this is not required, etc, under Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act.

The application unconstitutionally denied permanent resident aliens the right to apply.

Somebody in PW need to complain.

No permanent resident aliens? Begad, VA, as well as KY,will have us riding at the back of the bus next! I have also just emailed the Buckeyes about their new "citizens only" provision for CC permits! It's almost got me wanting to bite the heads off a packet of Gummi-Bears!:banghead:

Possumboy makes a good point, too, and I am becoming exceedingly suspicious of Greeks bearing gifts!

TrueBrit.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

possumboy wrote:

I disagree with their assertion that the class does not qualify as training for the CHP.

18.2-308 is very clear

"Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;"

possumboy

imported post

My guess is that they do not give you a certificate at the end of the course, or they put wording on it that says it is not valid for CHP.

jpierce wrote:
possumboy wrote:

I disagree with their assertion that the class does not qualify as training for the CHP.

18.2-308 is very clear

"Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You know it would be interesting if someone takes the course and then applies for a CHP using that course as training.