• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Knives

cREbralFIX

imported post

Hi all,

I just took the AMOK! seminar in Manassas with Tom Sotis this past weekend. I learned a lot and am changing my daily carry knife. Here is the relevant part of the VA code:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-283

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.
If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282.1

§ 18.2-282.1. Brandishing a machete or other bladed weapon with intent to intimidate; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold, or brandish a machete or any weapon, with an exposed blade 12 inches or longer, with the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons and in a manner that reasonably demonstrates that intent. This section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private, or religious elementary, middle, or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited. A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon or taser as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack

Given the context of defensive knives, dirks, bowie knives and razors are prohibited. According to dictionary.com, a dirk is a dagger.

dirk: a dagger, esp. of the Scottish Highlands.

dagger: a short, swordlike weapon with a pointed blade and a handle, used for stabbing.

dagger: a short pointed weapon with sharp edges.

It seems that any knife is covered by this law. However, the second definition of "dagger" indicates "sharp EDGES". Many folks carry single bladed knives. Conversations with police officers seem to indicate that large single edged knives are within the law.

Given the above, it appears that:

1) Single bladed knives are legal except for bowie knives and razors.
2) There is no length limitation unless in a church or school.
3) Either folding or fixed blades are legal for carry.
4) 12" of exposed blade is the limit for knives if "brandished"

Does anyone know of any case law that:

1) Limits a folder or fixed single blade's length
2) Reclassifies any folding or fixed blade to some other type

cREbralFIX

imported post

Since I'm not a civillian law enforcement/peace officer, switch blades are not an option for me. Though, they'd be neat to have :)

I learned that serrations can be a problem. When "shaving" or cutting, the serrations will get stuck in bone. The degree to which this occurs is determined by the size of the serrations.

cs9c1

imported post

SwitchBlades are over rated. My speedsafe knife is just as fast, but the Benchmade is tough as hell and military issue (free to me to use). I cut lots of rope so the serrated edge is next to a must.

cREbralFIX

imported post

After this class, I've come to the conclusion that I should separate my fighting knives from my tools.

How does the speedsafe work? Can you just flip it open? Did it need some break-in time in order to open quickly?