• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HI-Point 9mm Compact

danbus

imported post

I saw this at my recent visit to Superior Pawn and Gun shop in Hampton on Merc Blvd. The price tag is$198.99 which is perfect for me since I'm a "brotha on a budget".

A good buddy of mine recently purchased one, but hasn't "tried" it out yet. A week later he said that he's trading it in for something else since he "heard" it was unreliable.

My question is - has anyone had any experience with this make firearm and would you recommend this to anybody?

My budget for a first time buyer is only $200-300.

hirundo82

imported post

I have no personal experience with Hi-Point but from what I can tell they are a decent firearm if they are all you can afford. From what I have heard they tend to be reliable and they company is great about working with you to get it reliable if it is not. If you decide to go with the Hi-Point you should probably buy elsewhere as the MSRP for the 9mm Compact is $140. I have found that prices at pawn shops tend to be really high.

With a price limit of $300, you should be able to find a used gun from a better manufacturers. I would look at Ruger, S&W, and Taurus if you want an auto. If you are also interested in revolvers those manufacturers that I listed are also a good place to start.

Bersa automatics and Rossi revolvers are also within your price range new. I do not know much about Rossi but have heard good things about Bersa.

The best thing to do would be to go to a gun show and look at what you have. Preferably take someone with you who knows guns. Maybe someone from this forum would be willing to meet up with you at a gun show and help you look. I know we have members in your area of VA. I would help, but it is a little far for me.

jimwyant

imported post

Although you asked specifically about the Hi-Point in this thread, and I can't comment as having never even seen one, I do agree with hirundo82 about considering used models from better manufacturers. If you want a semi-auto, the Ruger P-Series are available in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Suggested retail for these start from mid-$400's to low $500's new, but most gun stores sell them for under $400. Used models can be had from low $200's and up. They aren't the most beautiful things in the world, and may not be the best choice if you plan to carry concealed a lot because of the size. However, I have never owned a weapon significantly more accurate or reliable than my P-89 9mm. It was my first semi-auto pistol, and I have fired many, many thousands of rounds through it, and have never had a malfunction that was not obviously caused by ammunition. (I reload, and learned on 9mm's that were tested in this gun.) The last time I shot it was to prove a new brand of premium ammunition. I fired the first three rounds at 17 yards, unsupported, and put them all within an inch of each other, right where I pointed the gun. I'm an OK shot, but not that great - the gun, however, seems to be.

If you're considering a revolver, a close friend has a little Rossi 357 that he swears by, except when he is swearing at me for shooting a tighter pattern with it than he can manage. Also, Taurus has several good options. I own a model 617 that I bought new for around $350, so used versions should be available in the $200's.

I hope this helps, and would like to offer a slightly belated welcome to OCDO.

VAopencarry

imported post

I'd wait and save a little more and get something from a more reputable manufacturer. $300-400 you can get a pretty nice used gun. I recently sold my Taurus PT 24/7 for like $325.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

For $200 I would get a Kel-Tec P11, or look at some milsurp pistols. Something like a Star BM or CZ-52. The best deals you are going to find are gun show dealers, then private or consignment sales, then gun shops, and at the bottom of the list pawn shops. However like others have said it pays to save up for quality.

Ed Y

imported post

danbus,

Go to this link: http://www.hipointforums.tk/ and follow the directions. Lots of info there.

I bought a HiPoint 9 MM a year ago cause I wanted something to carry on the motorcycle on long trips and really didn't want to worry about losing a lot of $$$ if it got stolen or confiscated. I've since put many hundreds of rounds thru it and it's never missed a beat. Definitely not the prettiest weapon around but it does get the job done contrary to what a lot of people think. And the lifetime warranty is a big plus.

For us guys that can't or won't spend big $$$ for one, this is a good alternative.

urbanamish99

imported post

The Hi-Point 9mm definitely doesn't get it's fair shake. I used to have one, and never had any problems with it. It's not the prettiest gun out there, but it gets the job done every time. I traded mine in on a Kahr, because it's easier to conceal, for when the situation calls for it. (Mostly I OC my Kahr P9 in a FOBUS paddle holster). I have never heard of any one who has owned a Hi-Point who had anything bad to say about the gun or the company.

I see it this way. An inexpensive gun you can afford (and is cheap to shoot) is a great way to get started, if it's a reliable gun, and that it most certainly is.

wet_willy

imported post

my neighbor got one, good gun, ugly but it went through about 250 rounds without any problems. including lots of hollowpoints, too.. his also pretty accurate, and its easy to use, safety and slide release, are the same part, if you get one you wont be dissapointed, if yours works as good as my friends does. good luck.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have to second what Longwatch said. If you are interested in both OC and CC, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the Hi Point for long. Of course, all of us have probably been through a dozen or more pistols in our shooting/carrying careers, so go ahead and try out whatever appeals to you. The highest priority with self defense carry has to be reliability. If something bad is going down you don't want to hear "click" instead of "bang".

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I mention the Star BM and I just saw CDNN has a batch them for $159. This is a deal, I have one of these pistols and they are great shooters for the money. They are very much like scaled down 1911s in 9mm. For a starter pistol I think this would be a better choice. Find a FFL and have them special order one for you.

spyderdude

imported post

I used to have the Hi-Point C9 handgun. It didn't look all that great, and was rather bulky, but it never once jammed or had any sort of malfunction, even after nearly 500 rounds. It shot where I pointed after some minor adjustments on the rear sight. I'd say if you're looking for an inexpensive range gun, or if its all you can afford for protection, then by all means go for it. It's better than no gun at all, but I can agree that you should opt for something a bit more higher quality if possible.

stetson

imported post

I bought one just for the heck of it ! I didn't like it from the get go so I gave it to

father who sinse passed away and pistol came back to me! It's taking a ride for

ammo or whatever.It does go bang as it suppose too but not with any class.

I would strongly suggest save your money until you can afford sometyhing

that cost $100 more than a high point.That's my opinion and I have shot one and owned a 45.

mercutio545

imported post

jimwyant wrote:
If you want a semi-auto, the Ruger P-Series are available in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Suggested retail for these start from mid-$400's to low $500's new, but most gun stores sell them for under $400.

Amen to that. I love my Ruger P345. It was pretty cheap too, I don't think it was even 400. And its not as big and bulky as the other P-series pistols (below are comparisons with the P345 and the P90, taken from genitron.com- it feels perfect in my hands, and OC is not a problem at all. When I get my concealed carry permit it shouldn't be too much of a problem to do that either.)

Ruger-P345-10a.jpg

Ruger-P345-11a.jpg

AlaskanAtHeart

imported post

I have both the Hi Point 9mm compact and the .45ACP. I've never owned other handguns (I have since bought a Beretta Neos and a Ruger Mark III) so i can't compare the Hi Points to other pistols, but we are very happy with them. My husband does use other 9mms as a soldier, and he says the Hi Point perform just as well, if not better, than the Army's guns. We've not had any issues with them, probably have put about 800 rounds through each of them since we got them about 6 months ago.

madgunner wrote:
This is a good review of the Low priced HI-Point products.I'm thinking of getting a .45 model for plinking at the range.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/index1.html

As long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger every time it will do.Just because its ugly and affordable doesnt mean its junk or cheap.

robertnmjr

imported post

i've got the c9, jcp40S&W, and the 995 carbine. they are good guns and not knocking the others but with a no queations asked life time warrantyand made in the USA it can't be beat.

ScubaSteve

imported post

I've been carrying for a long time, mostly 1911's and similar designs (380 Mustang Pocketlite).

Recently I decided to pick up a CZ-75, and ended up in the P01 model, which is a NATO issuable pistol. It's relatively small, incredibly reliable and inexpensive ($400, new if you shop around).

My wife, who also carries, took a linking to it and confiscated it about a month ago. I picked up a one-month old "used" P01 (box, papers, everything including original receipt) for $300 at a gun show 2 weeks ago. It too is a solid shooter and implicitly reliable.

I sold my 1991A1 Compact at the same gun show.. I've been carrying it pretty much daily for almost 10 years. I think the P01 is a fantastic pistol, and untouchable at it's price point. I don't carry any of my 1911's anymore.

My advice, and you get what you pay for: If you're buying new, your budget will put you into the really low-end "problematic" autoloaders. I'm not a big revolver person (I own a single revolver, a Taurus Model 65) but I suspect a new revolver could be had in your price range. Bear in mind, you need to be really, really sure whatever you end up with will work reliably, all the time.

You might want to make a list of "possibilities" in your price range and see if you can rent a few at your local range.

Whatever you do, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the pistol and make sure it's reliable enough to carry.

Steve

Illuminaughty

imported post

Holy (*$&!

I'm a fan of hi points, but if you're paying more than 100 for a used on you're getting taken bigtime!

And if your budget is 300 dollars I can set you up with a glock easy!

That guys' trying to rip you off!

CrashVector

imported post

You get what you pay for.

I see people on various gun forums all the time bragging about the Hi-Point pistols...about how reliable they are, etc etc

They're reliable because they're built with tolerances so loose that the gun feels like its going to rattle apart in your hand.

A gun with tolerances THAT loose simply cannot, and will not, be as accurate as a pistol with tighter tolerances.

For $300, you can EASILY find much better pistols. I bought my wife's Ruger P95 for $330 brand-spanking new....and The Ruger P95 is infinately better than a Hi-Point.

Flowmaster

imported post

i got a ruger P95DC in 9mm brand new for 319 at a gun show. 2 15 round magazines and a magazine loader. nothing short of amazing, especially for the price.