• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day?

Bloencustoms

imported post

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and was browsing through a couple of hours ago when I found this site by following a random chain of hyperlinks. Open carry is legal in my state, and I have often wondered why more people don't do it. The last time I saw anyone in civilian clothes OC was at a fast food restaurant a few years ago. After browsing around these forums, and reading accounts of people's experiences while carrying, I didn't find anything unexpected. It seems almost universally that law enforcement is ignorant of the law in our state, and people have been stopped (even wrongfully arrested) for carrying. I believe this ignorance of the law is caused by the simple fact that you don't see enough people exercising the right to carry.

I'm curious to know if anyone has proposed a set date for a peaceful demonstration. Why not pick a date some time in the future? Allow enough time to "get the word out" by posting the date and the intended purpose on every pro-gun website known to man. Get as many gun owners as possible to agree to wear their firearm legally on a given date, and go for it. Since finding enough gun owners willing to do this might be difficult, it would be important to reach as many of them as possible through as many means possible. It might not hurt to inform the media. They will most certainly run the story. But imagine if only one in one hundred people openly carried their firearms (where legally allowed, of course) all on the same day, and made it a point to be seen by as many people as possible.

Almost every city in the country has a street named "Main Street". If all these owners made it a point to simply walk down their respective "Main Street" at some point on the same day, it would have the effect of raising awareness of the legality of open carry.

The only negative effect I can envision is that many who already think open carry is illegal, might vote to ban it once they realize it is not.

Any thoughts?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I only open carry between January 1 and December 31. Can you fit it somewhere in there? :p

What we need is a T-shirt that says "Why yes, as a matter of fact it is legal."

LoveMyCountry

Brigdh

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote

What we need is a T-shirt that says "Why yes, as a matter of fact it is legal."

LoveMyCountry
I'm sure it can be arranged with CafePress

Bloencustoms

imported post

I'm hoping that people who don't carry regulary, for whatever reason, might find the courage to do so if they know that many, many others will be doing the same thing, on the same day.

I, for one, have never carried outside my property, or car. While it is legal in my state, the potential for being hassled by police is a deal-breaker for me. But, I know I would definitely take part in a "carry day" should one be organized.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Bloencustoms wrote:
I, for one, have never carried outside my property, or car. While it is legal in my state, the potential for being hassled by police is a deal-breaker for me.
Umm... why? You have the potential for being hassled because you are black/white, gay/straight, male/female, Republican/Democrat and on and on. Please don't give up a civil right because of something that may happen. Know your rights , know the law and stand your ground.

LoveMyCountry

CPerdue

imported post

Hi all,
I like this idea, especially with the t-shirt. Has it gotten any traction elsewhere?

Some suggestions for picking a date:

- Many of us have to work in places where we can't carry, so weekdays are probably out.
- Warm weather would be a plus.
- Holidays may not be a good idea because businesses could be closed or people otherwise scarce on Main Street.

I'd also like to discuss other things that would be smart to do/avoid during the event.
- It may be a good idea to have a copy of any relevant CYA statutes in your back pocket.
- This may need to be a very diffuse gathering to, well, avoid being a gathering in places where this would change the rules.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This keeps coming up. One proposal was to OC on the 2nd of every month, another one on Feb 2 (even though that is probably the worst time of year for OC). Anyhow it is about time the OCDO community pick a date and spread the word about a National Open Carry Day. I like the symbolism of April 19(Patriots Day),or that of July 19 (Samuel Colt's birthday). However a nice convenient spring or summer weekend would be good too. Making some Cafepress shirts and getting the word out on the various gun boards, blogs and gun rights groups would be good too.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
This keeps coming up. One proposal was to OC on the 2nd of every month, another one on Feb 2 (even though that is probably the worst time of year for OC). Anyhow it is about time the OCDO community pick a date and spread the word about a National Open Carry Day. I like the symbolism of April 19(Patriots Day),or that of July 19 (Samuel Colt's birthday). However a nice convenient spring or summer weekend would be good too. Making some Cafepress shirts and getting the word out on the various gun boards, blogs and gun rights groups would be good too.

I'll see what I can do about the T-shirts. I like making people think.:lol:

LoveMyCountry

Edit: If anybody has ideas onhow this should look,please fire me off a PM. I will do this, even if there is not a national day to wear them.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think something like 'Yes Its Legal' with the OCDO url would be great on a shirt.

Bloencustoms

imported post

I too like the T-shirt idea. Why not have the shirts printed with some of the "CYA documents" as well? Obviously, you would still want to carry a paper copy, but having the various laws and court decisions printed on the shirt might be a nice addition.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Bloencustoms wrote:
I too like the T-shirt idea. Why not have the shirts printed with some of the "CYA documents" as well? Obviously, you would still want to carry a paper copy, but having the various laws and court decisions printed on the shirt might be a nice addition.

That would be tough as the laws vary from state to state.

I started a new thread to give this hi-jack a life of it's own.

LoveMyCountry

CPerdue

imported post

I just checked "screen printing" in my local phone book - found 33 different places in a ~35 mi. radius that can print anything I want. Point is, it isn't hard to do so we can do variations on a theme (with collaboration on artwork and text) then individually print as we wish. There is no need to hassle with putting together a big order, collecting money, distributing, etc.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

CPerdue wrote:
I just checked "screen printing" in my local phone book - found 33 different places in a ~35 mi. radius that can print anything I want. Point is, it isn't hard to do so we can do variations on a theme (with collaboration on artwork and text) then individually print as we wish. There is no need to hassle with putting together a big order, collecting money, distributing, etc.
Actually, with CafePress they handle all of the money and distributing. Each person can order as many or few of whatever they want. Usually there is a large ($30 - $50) set-up feewith screen printing. That said, I do agree on people getting what they want. Let me know what you will be having done and maybe I will steal it... er, I mean be inspired by it.

:lol:

LoveMyCountry