• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax PD's new strong arm poliicy

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I learned today, from a very reliable source, that it is policy for Fairfax PD to call for back-up on any traffic stop that a CHP shows up when running the plate. As I understand it this is new and unwritten operating procedures. I would like to get my hands on a piece of paper but until then I for one will heed the warning.
What this means is you will be forced to wait for another unit to arrive, about 20 min,and then endure increased scrutiny and pressure from the cops for a simple traffic violation. It is an attempt to apply increased pressure upon citizens to ultimately discourage them from ‘hiding behind that pesky 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment and force them to realize that the government should be the only ones responsible for their safety and security’.

Be careful out there in NOVA for the Gestapo may have a problem with the papers you actually are carrying.

Tomahawk

imported post

I'd like to see some evidence of this, or that it is new.

I've been pulled over in Ffx Co a couple of years ago and sure enough, another cop car was there very quickly, but this is not uncommon. Ffx Co has LOTS of cops, and along the Rt. 1 strip it's very rare to see just one cop pull someone over.

livitup

imported post

This happened to me when I was stopped for traffic five or so years ago, but I believe it was in Prince William County. At the time I wasn't carrying regularly, so when the second officer came to my window and asked about 100 times if there was a gun in the car, I couldn't figure out why they were so nuts about it until a couple minutes later. When they brought the citation back for me to sign, I apologized, and explained that I had honestly "forgotten" about my CHP.

Honestly, I don't think it's all that big of a deal, and I'd be amazed if it took 20 minutes for a backup unit to arrive. In my case, the second unit was there within a few minutes, and I don't think that particular traffic stop took any longer than average. Honestly, this is not unreasonable from an officer safety standpoint. Unnecessary, probably, but not unreasonable.

---A

exceltoexcel

imported post

This might be great news in wolves clothing.

I believe that time limit set by the surpreme court for a traffic stop is 20 minutes. Since you didn't commit a crime it might just be a get out of jail free card. That is a typicall traffic citation stopisn't a crime. If you just robbed a bank, we then the 20 minute rule doesn't apply.

TEX1N

imported post

I find that very hard to believe. If they are doing it, it probably will not be for very long. It also normally doesn't take very long for backup to respond when requested by another officer.

I have been pulled over twice while carrying. Onec in Prince William by a PW cop and once in Fairfax County by a VA State cop. Both times I informed the officer that I was carrying, and both times they could have cared-less.

TEX1N

imported post

exceltoexcel wrote:
I believe that time limit set by the surpreme court for a traffic stop is 20 minutes. Since you didn't commit a crime it might just be a get out of jail free card. That is a typicall traffic citation stopisn't a crime. If you just robbed a bank, we then the 20 minute rule doesn't apply.
Can you cite the case with the "20 minute rule?" Most of the cases I have read involving a "terry stop" look to the reasonable man standard. Here is what I am talking about from Terry v. Ohio:

...the conduct of those charged with enforcing the laws can be subjected to the more detached, neutral scrutiny of a judge who must evaluate the reasonableness of a particular search or seizure in light of the particular circumstances. And, in making that assessment, it is imperative that the facts be judged against an objective standard: would the facts available to the officer at the moment of the seizure or the search "warrant a man of reasonable caution in the belief" that the action taken was appropriate? Anything less would invite intrusions upon constitutionally guaranteed rights based on nothing more substantial than inarticulate hunches, a result this Court has consistently refused to sanction.
I have never heard of the Court putting a time limit on any sort of stop. If you could cite the case, I would like to read it.

joeroket

imported post

I am new here and don't want to come off wrong or sounding like I dont think our rights should be breached.

In defense of the officers out there, of which I come from a long line of them and have formal trainging in criminal justice, they should treat every call as a gun call, they are the ones brining the gun, and I would honestly get very upset if an officer knew that a gun may be present but did not take precautions. This feeling comes from, like I said, family in law enforcement, a father who was killed in the line of duty in Seattle 22 years ago when his service revolver was wrestled away from him by a man suffering from paranoid-schizophrenia.

I have no problems, mainly because of this, with law enforcement that do everything they can, law providing, to make sure that they go home to thier families at the end of every shift.

On that note, I really have enjoyed reading posts from peaople and the fact that there is a place like this to get well researched info on carry laws across the states. Keep up the good work.

TEX1N

imported post

joeroket, welcome to OCDO! I'm sorry to hear about your father. I truly respect the job that law enforcement officers do.

I have talked to a few cops that say they treat every person they encounter as if they are armed. Because you never really know what someone has on their person, or what they are capable of.

markand

imported post

Pulled over last Friday on the beltway near I-95 "mixing bowl" by VA State trooper. I didn't mention the gun (not required to do so by law) and he didn't ask. Still gave me a ticket though.

joeroket

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
joeroket, welcome to OCDO!  I'm sorry to hear about your father.  I truly respect the job that law enforcement officers do.

I have talked to a few cops that say they treat every person they encounter as if they are armed.  Because you never really know what someone has on their person, or what they are capable of.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Toad you should confidentially pass this along to VCDL, to philip@vcdl.org . In the meantime everyone should continue on as normal until confirmation of this practice, and if any sort of action on our part is required. I'll be making sure I have fresh batteries in my audio recorder just in case.

Goliath

imported post

Just as one quick clarification, your CHP is not tied into your tags. They only know you have a CHP when they run your drivers license info.

Goliath

TEX1N

imported post

Goliath wrote:
Just as one quick clarification, your CHP is not tied into your tags. They only know you have a CHP when they run your drivers license info.
True, however, if you are the owner of the vehicle when they run your tags they will see you DL# and can then run it and see that you have a CHP.

VAopencarry

imported post

I would think/hope cops are smarter than this. By virtue of the CHP, the officer is informed , this person is NOT a criminal. They should be more concered with people that do not have a CHP. It's BS if you ask me. Officer safety from a 'known' good citizen? I am all for officer safety but I am also against discriminatory practices by the police, against the citizens in which they serve.

But hell, it just might be a rumor anyway. :)

joeroket

imported post

No citizen is "known" good unless the officer knows this person. Just because someone has a CHP does not make them a known good citizen, it merely means that he took the time to apply for a permit and may possibly have a weapon on them during the encounter with an officer.

VAopencarry

imported post

Um... in case you didn't know, you just don't apply for one and they give you one. They do a background check and approval for a CHP means you are NOT a felon or several other disqualifying factors such as convicted of domestic violence. To me, someone that is NOT a criminal and has aquired a CHP is very,very,very unlikey to shoot a police officer. If I have managed to live for 45 years and not be a criminal, I think the officer can more than reasonably assume I am not going to start shooting him/her.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The flip side of this argument is that just because someone has a badge, it doesn't mean they are a 'good' guy.

joeroket

imported post

I couldn't agree with you moreon that one longwatch.

Coming from the family I do I have alot of knowledge of some officers that the general public should not know. I have known officers that have done some very questionable things as well as a few that have outright broke the law. The plus side is the ones that have broken the law have paid the piper for it.

joeroket

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Um... in case you didn't know, you just don't apply for one and they give you one. They do a background check and approval for a CHP means you are NOT a felon or several other disqualifying factors such as convicted of domestic violence. To me, someone that is NOT a criminal and has aquired a CHP is very,very,very unlikey to shoot a police officer. If I have managed to live for 45 years and not be a criminal, I think the officer can more than reasonably assume I am not going to start shooting him/her.

I do know how CHP's are obtained and the process behind them. When an officer starts to get comfortable or complacent in a certain type of situation that officer is putting his/her life in jeapordy as well as the civilians around them.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect your opinion and views on this and in your case this is probably true, I have no reason to question you about it. There have been plenty of cases that people with permits have committed murder on the books. This is the main reason I feel the way I do about it. I don't believe that officers should assume anything until it is shown to them otherwise.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeroket wrote:
Just because someone has a CHP does not make them a known good citizen, it merely means that he took the time to apply for a permit and may possibly have a weapon on them during the encounter with an officer.

And just because you don't have a permit doesn't mean you won't have a gun. Criminals don't bother, usually.

So it's wise for an officer to approach cautiously no matter what. It's wise to have another officer near, if possible. I don't think I've *ever* seen only one police car when I've seen stops anywhere between the Beltway and southern PWC on US1, in fact.

Interesting topic, but I"m not convinced yet there's a new "strong arm" policy.