• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a LEO disarm you for no reason?

mercutio545

imported post

For instance, if I was out shopping and walked past one and he told me to give him the weapon, could I say no and refuse? I know that it would be less trouble just to give it to him and get it sorted out, but if it's my right not to relenquish it to the LEO, then I'm not going to.

*By the way, this hasn't happened to me recently, I was just thinking about the time last May when a Richmond LEO took my shotgun away from me when I was OC'ing with it (walking it from the car to the apartment, about 1-2 blocks), and threatened me with felony charges. Just want to make sure that I can refuse and stand up for myself without breaking the law.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Yes, you can try to break contact and certainly have the right to refuse consent to searches and property seizure. But if you are detained or arrested, you should remain silent except to ask for an attorney, decalre that you are refusing consent for any proerpty seizure or searches, etc., that you want to speak to the watch commander and make a complaint right now, etc.

VAopencarry

imported post

As I understand it... They need to have a 'reason', they can't disarm and detain you for the mere fact you are carrying, without some other 'articulable' reason.

Me: I would challenge his reason for doing so, if he 'insisted' I would comply to keep the situation from getting out of hand, ie, me arrested. :) Then file a complaint, lawsuit, whatever the incident might dictate.

IANAL

mercutio545

imported post

But if the LEO tries to physically take the gun from my holster/put me in cuffs, I can't try to fight my way out of it and stand up for myself, even though I know I did nothing wrong?

Brigdh

imported post

once the cuffs go on, its an arrest, and you shouldn't fight it physically, but you can verballs (in a non threatening way) resist

mercutio545

imported post

So I could still be charged with resisting arrest, even though the LEO would be charged with wrongful arrest?

D

Desertdoc

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
But if the LEO tries to physically take the gun from my holster/put me in cuffs, I can't try to fight my way out of it and stand up for myself, even though I know I did nothing wrong?

Physically fighting with an officer while being stopped never a good thing. It is a good way to get wounded, if not killed. You must remember they are there doing a job and dont need alot of bullshit. No one likes it when someone comes to there work and is a ass. 99% of the time everything will go smoother if you treat the officer repect and calmly talk with them. Dont get me wrong, you can still show respect without giving up your rigths or kissing ass. Here is what happen to be by a sullfolk police officer not to long ago.

On the way to school I was speeding due to being late and forgetting how to tell time. As i flew by the police car at 55 in a 35 i knew i was screwed. Lights went on and i pulled over. As the officer came up to the side of my jeep and i told him i was armed. He then asked me " where in the car was my weapon". I calmly replied, it was in its holster and attached to my right hip. He asked me to step out of the car slowly while keeping my hands visible. I complied with out a problem. He then asked me to slowly remove my gun and secure the round in the camber. I did give him a weird look and asked if i was being detained for legally carrying my sidearm. He quickly said no, but for his own peace of mind he would like the gun to be unloaded and secured. Not having a problem with this I complied once again. AS i tuned the gun away from the officer, removed the round in the chamber, he asked me to please put the gun on the hood of the car .Now, at this time i was started to wonder. I asked again if i was beingdetained and if the officer wasasking for me to surrender my firearm. Heonce again said no. He informed me that he had noticed something on my gun (an American flag) and waswanting to look at the gun with out "taking it from me". I kinda laughed at this point and told him i had no problems with him looking at it. We talked for a few min.'s about my Sig. (he was in the market of buying a new toy) and i reminded him i was late to class. My check for warrants came back "good", and the officer reminded me to slow down. With out giving me a ticket he let me go and i was only a few min.'s late for my test.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

Physically fighting with an officer while being stopped never a good thing. It is a good way to get wounded, if not killed. You must remember they are there doing a job and dont need alot of bullshit. No one likes it when someone comes to there work and is a ass. 99% of the time everything will go smoother if you treat the officer repect and calmly talk with them. Dont get me wrong, you can still show respect without giving up your rigths or kissing ass. Here is what happen to be by a sullfolk police officer not to long ago.

On the way to school I was speeding due to being late and forgetting how to tell time. As i flew by the police car at 55 in a 35 i knew i was screwed. Lights went on and i pulled over. As the officer came up to the side of my jeep and i told him i was armed. He then asked me " where in the car was my weapon". I calmly replied, it was in its holster and attached to my right hip. He asked me to step out of the car slowly while keeping my hands visible. I complied with out a problem. He then asked me to slowly remove my gun and secure the round in the camber. I did give him a weird look and asked if i was being detained for legally carrying my sidearm. He quickly said no, but for his own peace of mind he would like the gun to be unloaded and secured. Not having a problem with this I complied once again. AS i tuned the gun away from the officer, removed the round in the chamber, he asked me to please put the gun on the hood of the car .Now, at this time i was started to wonder. I asked again if i was beingdetained and if the officer wasasking for me to surrender my firearm. Heonce again said no. He informed me that he had noticed something on my gun (an American flag) and waswanting to look at the gun with out "taking it from me". I kinda laughed at this point and told him i had no problems with him looking at it. We talked for a few min.'s about my Sig. (he was in the market of buying a new toy) and i reminded him i was late to class. My check for warrants came back "good", and the officer reminded me to slow down. With out giving me a ticket he let me go and i was only a few min.'s late for my test.

jimwyant

imported post

No. It is a state law, and preemption only prohibits localities from passing ordinances that differ from state law. One good thing, though - it does exempt CHP holders from the law, as longwatch stated.

swatpro911

imported post

I want to buy a AR-15 pre ban? or which is legal in VA? Which brand is good for semi-auto with 10 rounds mag. I prefer 9mm. Can i keep the AR-15 loaded inside my car in plain view? I have CHP permit also.

rabbit994

imported post

I believe by keeping a rifle loaded in the car where you can easily reach it might fall under some hunting law ordinances. However, I imagine in most cases, keeping in trunk would be fine. "Assault Weapons" are allowed in VA without issue. I have Armalite AR15 with 30 round mag that is completely legal. When I transport it from my house to my car, I just walk with it slung over my shoulder in it's case with mag seperated and unloaded. Probably more then I'm required to do but I have a pistol for personal defense. I've thrown in the back of car and ran into Manassas Police with it in back of car and only comment was "Have a nice day"

mercutio545

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I believe by keeping a rifle loaded in the car where you can easily reach it might fall under some hunting law ordinances.

IANAL, but to my knowledge and experience you can carry long guns openly just as you would carry handguns (granted, this is technically OK, but you're still going to freak some people out when you walk into walmart with an AR slung on your back :lol:) , so you would be OK with keeping it in your car. When I go on road trips in VA, I usually keep my 12 ga. in the backseat in plain view.

rabbit994

imported post

If your talking about magazine restrictions, there are no magazine restrictions for ownership. There is open carry ban of pistols and rifles that hold over 20 rounds in urban areas along with threaded barrels.