• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first firearm

danbus

imported post

I went to A & P Arms on Merc Blvd and noticed immediately that there was a adequate choice of firearms. What really made my day was when I noticed the prices.

Damn it, I can't tell a good story so let me get straight to the point, I purchased a Taurus PT111Pro with 12+1 for $329.99 brand new. Along with it I bought a leather Hume holster and Winchester 147 GR Hollowpoints.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=24&category=Pistol

I was very happy that I did not have to pay MSRP as would anyone else.

Since I do NOT have my CHP, I will have to either open carry or leave it at home. I plan onobtaining one next week. The salesmen at the store said "you shouldn't open carry, you draw too much attention to yourself". I agreed to myself andthought "thebad guy KNOWS I'm prepared and more likely NOTwant to deal with me rather than assume that I'm a easy target".

I would like to say that I will be going to the Tidewater Meetup and thanks everyone for you advice and knowledge!

VAopencarry

imported post

Congrats on your purchase!!!! I have heard a lot good things about the PT111. I would recommend getting some firearm instruction too. Welcome to the club!

Just so you know, a lot of people that work in gun shops 'think' they know anything and everything related to guns, like laws etc. Few actually do. I have seen it with my own eyes, spreading untruth's about laws etc. I guess what I am saying is, don't take their word as gospel.

occva

imported post

Congrats on the PT111. My wife shoots one. Approx. 1500 rounds and one failure to fire, cheap reload, fired second pull. I carry the PT745 as a back up, 5000 rounds and not a problem.

Clean the gun good before going to the range. They tend be gunked up from the factory.

DeadCenter

imported post

<snip>"you shouldn't open carry, you draw too much attention to yourself". </snip>

Danbus -- Welcome. Congrats on the firearm. I agree with the advice on training. And do go to a range and practice. There is a book called "the Virginia gun owners guide" I suggest you get one of these. It's a must have.

Speaking to the <snip> above. I was told the very same thing only by an attorney. He was concerned about the attention draw. And more concerned about an LEO not knowing it's cool to OC.

I'm more concerned that I do not know where it iscool to OC.

I did it once and will do it again. Iwould feel more comfortable if I knew where if was cool.

DeadCenter

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Most places 99% are gun friendly or a least neutral (no policy). Very few are known to be antigun. Check out VCDL's gun unfriendly list. However the only way to be sure is to test the waters by open carrying. Even places that have been proofed can have incidents, see Possumboy's Hard Times episode. Basically there is always the possibility of being kicked out of a place but you could get struck by lightning too. So carry with confidence and don't worry about it too much, after all you are carrying a gun because of much worse situations.

VAopencarry

imported post

The people that talk about 'drawing too much attention to yourself' have most likely NEVER OC'd. You may, on occasion, draw some unwanted attention but most people don't even notice,

danbus

imported post

Yes, I OC'd my first time today at Patrick Henry Mall, and it seems no one noticed or cared.

My friend carries a Hi-Point 9mm, but he's scared to OC, even AFTER he told ME that it was legal.

OCing came VERY natural for me as I don't care about what other people think or say, overall it was a very liberating experience and I'll be happy to OC with anyone who has doubts or isn't ready to do so yet.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Just a warning... watch OCing at malls. That have proven to be anti -gun. IMPO if your going to get crap for carrying, this is one of those places. Other than that.. welcome and we look forward to having you join us on thursday.

reefteach

imported post

Congrats. Welcome. Sounds like a great firearms. I have a similar firearms in .45.

I'm glad you feel good open carrying, but I know my Don Hume has No retension strap (thumbreak). If you are going to open carry, this is an upgrade you might want. It prevents idiots from hurting you or someone else.

Again, good to see another law abiding citizen carrying.:D

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]gdvan,
If you're coming from W'burg, get off 64 at Mercury Blvd, go west toward the James River Bridge, and look on your left, probably less than a mile down. They are in the Greenwood Shopping Center.

danbus,
I have never OD'd at Patrick Henry Mall. Years ago when I started CC'ing, I went there and noticed a "no firearms" sign at the main entrance. Actually it was part of a long list of restictions, and in rather small print. I spoke with the chief of mall security and had the usual frustrating conversation that concluded with his saying it was a policy that wouldn't change because the agency thought this made for a "safer environment" for shoppers. Blah, blah, blah. I imagine the sign is still there, but doubt it carries much weight, since there are about a dozen other entrances to individual stores that don't have any signage, to my recollection. In any event, don't be surprised if you get some Mall Ninja asking you to put your PT-111 in your car.
And tell 'em Dutch Uncle says "Hey".

[/align]

mercutio545

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
[align=left]Years ago when I started CC'ing, I went there and noticed a "no firearms" sign at the main entrance.
[/align]
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that the no-gun signs hold no bearing with the law (Like the ones in the movies,stores that decideto post them,etc). I think somebody on these forums said that. They have to verbally ask you to leave before you get charged with criminal trespass. But yes, you will be asked to leave for sure if one of the security guards sees you. And if I'm wrong about the whole "posted no-gun signs hold no bearing with the law" thing, somebody please correct me.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mercutio,
I am pretty certain you are correct. I've read the applicable VA statutes and there is no legal description of any required signage like the 30.06 section of the Texas law. I suppose if you were asked to leave once, did so, then came back armed, they could probably charge you with trespass if they had a written record of warning you once before. In any event, if a business has multiple entrances and they don't post every one with big flashing neon signs, they really have no basis for charging you with anything the first time.

danbus

imported post

Interesting, as I went to the food court entrance (in the back where the Starbucks entrance is). I didn't see ANY signs except for "Starbucks" & "Patrick Henry Mall". My friend and I were SUPPOSED to OC, but he chickened out :X. So I ended by OCing anyways, and didn't encounter any problems. Security guards noticed me and kept it moving. Other people HARDLY noticed. I believe it to be that I have a baby face and thus look "non-threatening".

For those who show up at the Tidewater Meeting, you will see what I mean.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Danbus,
Sorry to hear your friend "chickened out". I recall my own apprehension when I first carried, many moons ago, so I guess you shouldn't be too hard on him. It sounds as though he is interested or he woudn't have agreed in the first place, so you ought to invite him to the dinner this Thursday. Hell, he doesn't even have to carry if he doesn't want to! At least there, he can be around like minded individuals and find out that OC won't make the world come crashing down.