• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about carry in Charlotte

jcs77

imported post

I have decided that, when I get a suitable handgun, that I will open carry around Charlotte. That is the only way that I, being 19, would be able to carry. I have looked over Federal, NC, and Charlotte laws but I still have some questions. I'm not looking for legal opinions, just general information. I will contact a lawyer for definitive answers.

-Are all of the places that are off limits for CCW off limits for open carry? I wouldn't think they are by looking at the statutes.

-I'm planning on carrying a copy of relevant laws with me because of my age and the fact that open carry is not too common around South Charlotte. Any ideas of which relevant laws to include on the card? What about applicable court decisions?

Any other info about open carry around Charlotte would be appreciated.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

jcs77 wrote:
Are all of the places that are off limits for CCW off limits for open carry? I wouldn't think they are by looking at the statutes.
You need to re-read the VA statutes then.

As far as I know, the only VA ban on gun carry which is limited to concealed carry )but not open carry) is restaurants &clubs licensed to serve alcohol for on-premises consumption.

Good work though on comitting to do some legal OC!

jcs77

imported post

Yes, that's Charlotte, NC.

I've put together all of the relevant laws and court decisions I have found. If anyone can think of anything else, feel free to let me know.

Attachments

• NC Carry Information.doc
    49 KB · Views: 531

jcs77

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
No firearms where an admissions fee is charged?

That sure knocks out a lot of places. Does that include gun shows?:shock:
I never even thought about gun shows. That particular law and the one about not carrying where alcohol is served ( the entire GS 14-269.3) make no sense to me. I think NC has gone too far with their regulation of the right to keep and bear arms.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Mike, I think he is in Charlotte, NC;)

Duh, sorry about that!:?

I have open carried at the following locations in or near Charlotte, NC without any problem: WalMart, the Marriott Renaisance Suites, one gas station, one Wendy's.

HerbM

imported post

Still unclear on restaurants with alcohol and concealed OR OPEN carry:

(I'm from Texas, no open carry and practically no place is off limits due to the way that "bars" are defined under law -- i.e., more than 51% of revenue from sale of alcohol -- and they are required to place a big honking sign up, affectionately known as a "51% sign". This leave practically every ok since even a Hotel bar is not included.)

I understand no concealed carry in NC with alcohol served for on premise consumption.

Is this also true for OPEN carry?

6" minimum rule in some juridictions.

What else do I need to know? (I downloaded the NC .doc file but want to know what you folks have figured out before I read all of that.)

I am especially interested in the Charlotte area.

Thanks
--
Herb

uncgstudent

imported post

JCS77,

You cannot carry a firearm anywhere in NC that is off limits to concealed carry. Under NC law, you cannot bring a firearm on school campuses, state/federal property, etc. etc. The laws are stupid, but they're there and they're often enforced.

I feel your pain, I live in Greensboro. NC gun laws are pretty ridiculous.

Hope this helps!

HerbM

imported post

I must have misunderstood some discussion about banks or some such then - -maybe it was another state (VA perhaps?) where Concealed was illegal and open was legal.

So no concealed carry in alcohol serving restaurants then.

(Actually I think it is pretty stupid that we in Texas can't enter a true bar -- but I haven't every wanted to go into such a place since the CHL law was made shall issue so it doesn't effect me practically.)

Schools are worse but prohibited in most states so that at least isn't surprising.

Texas is BIG about SIGNS -- no sign forbidding it, no foul is possible.

And the signs have specific size, contrast, even SPELLING down to the correct use of "quotation" marks in the exact right place.

--
Herb

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

HerbM wrote:
I must have misunderstood some discussion about banks or some such then - -maybe it was another state (VA perhaps?) where Concealed was illegal and open was legal.

With a CCW in VA, you can CC in banks or OC (I believe Wachovia has a "No Guns" symbol on their doors - do they carry any weight in VA?) I OC and CC in NFCU all the time w/o problems. So, I don't believe it was VA, to answer your question (or, was it a question?)

2nd Amendment........Use it.............Or, lose it!!:X