• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crossdraw Holsters

jcs77

imported post

I have been looking at a Tucker Crossdraw holster with a thumbbreak for open carry and would like your opinions on some of my thoughts.

-I figure that crossdraw would allow me to have my handgun in front of me rather than at my side, which I think would help with the issue of a gun grab from behind.

-While driving, the holster will lay across my lap instead of into my side or seat with a strong side OWB holster.

-I think it would be easier for me to keep my hands off of my gun when out in public if I would have the option of putting my hands on my hips.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Whatever works for you. Give it a try to make sure that you can reach it, get a good grip and bring it around. Cross-draw holsters do tend to get some people uptight because you can sweep an entire room while drawing. It may not work in all situations, but it should be good for what you mentioned.

Unload. Double check. Triple check. Practice, practice, practice.

LoveMyCountry

Basic Guy

imported post

I normally use cross draw holsters for the reasons you mention - keeps the gun in my range of view and harder to grab, easier to sit/drive in that position, and I kinda like having it where most people who first see it will be showing me their reactions rather than having that go on behind my back.

The other main reason I go for cross draw holsters is because my arms are unusually long for my height. I stand about 5' 10" but my "wingspan" is about 6' 4". Trying to draw from a strong side holster at my side or rear feels like some kinda of unusual yoga position for me.

Ipractice my draw so my muzzle does not "sweep" in front of me but traces a line on the ground starting from where it sitsas drawn straight fromthe holster to a point about 6 feet in front of me and then up to the target.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the crossdraw is useful and a lot of controversy against it comes from it not being really safe for practicing draws on the range. Thats not so much a problem in carry because it normally sits in a holster all day. Also it has the advantages mentioned above. However I think you are more vulnerable to gun grabs from the front with crossdraw and the possibility of being prevented from drawing at all. Assuming a right handed crossdraw holster, if the perp can get close enough he could grab your shirt or right arm his with left hand while grabbing your piece with his right or any variation on this theme. With a strong side holstered weapon you can blade your body away from the perp and block him with your weak arm while you draw. I'm not saying you shouldn't carry crossdraw just plan accordingly and watch your 12.

I think crossdraw is best for a 2 gun setup though with the other piece strong side. That way you have a weapon available in almost all body positions.

PaulB

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Of course with strong side, someone can grab the gun from behind you. I'd rather deal with that issue from someone in front of me than behind. If your finger is in the BG's eye, eventually you will get that gun out! ;)

While I like the crossdraw in theory, in practice it doesn't work for me. The gun butt always sticks way out in front of me, and looks silly. I think it helps to have a beer gut.

Bubba Ron

imported post

jcs77 wrote:
I have been looking at a Tucker Crossdraw holster with a thumbbreak for open carry and would like your opinions on some of my thoughts.
Did you ever get that CrossDraw from Tucker - I ordered one for my wife and hereplyed that they don't work well with sub-compacts (PT-140 MilPro), so I had to cancel my order last week. He also said that holster doesn't work well with a thumb-brake - maybe you were his test case :question: