• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms + Work

Do you feel "safe" at work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care

• Total voters

danbus

imported post

My current place of employment doesn't allow it's workers to carry firearms or weapons of any kind in the building nor in the parking lot. Failure to comply with these rules will result in termination.

There have been COUNTLESS time where "fighting" was involved inside AND outside the building (it's ghetto for a "professional working environment"). Working as a supervisor, I have been threatened. I wasn't worried because I'm cool like that, however in the back of my mind, I always had to "watch my 6". I really haven't thought about it until I started to read about VA gun laws and such. And I thought to myself, what will prevent an individual who is upset because THEY did something stupid to get themselves fired, and want to do "bodily harm" to me,to carry a weapon (most likely a pistol) and shoot the hell out ofme and anyone else they don't like. Not a damn thing! I'm not worried about anything happening, however someone else might feel differently about not being "secure" at work.

So I will write a letter to our HR deptto see whywe have positions called "security guards" and the only thing thatthey secure is when someone hasloud music and say them to "turn it down".

I will elaborate more on the thought of "keeping your employees" safe later.

In the future I plan on switching industries and try the "armed security", as I feel that I will be more effective in that area.

badmonkey

imported post

We have the same policy on firearms at work. It comes down to what do you value more, your job or your life? If I would ever need a firearm at work I would rather be fired and alive than dead. I'm not advocating anything illegal here, just making a point about stupid corperate policies. We allow customers to carry but not employees. Stupid, stupid rules...:uhoh:

livitup

imported post

And ignore the rights of property owners in the process.

At my place of employment (secure facility) everybody goes through a metal detector and bags are x-rayed, so I feel fine. The ban does extend to the (fenced) parking lots, and I do wish I could leave it in the lot so that if I run errands after work I don't have to go home first, but it's their property and their decision, and I respect that. Find another job if it bothers you that much.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

livitup wrote:
And ignore the rights of property owners in the process.
Fine with me, I could not care less. What they don't know wont hurt them. If you are ok with compromising your safety, go right ahead and leave it at home. Not me.

hirundo82

imported post

I'm not from Virginia and don't work (I'm a full-time student), but I'll answer anyway. I voted yes.

I do feel relatively safe at school. We have guards at all entrances, card-controlled access, and there is a uniformed Houston police officer in the building 24 hours a day.

It is on my way to and from school that I feel most unsafe. Every few months we get an email from security about someone being mugged somewhere on campus. About a year ago, somebody was mugged right in front of the building where we have class.

I would carry at school for these reasons. However, it is not just against school policy but also against state law--in Texas, it is a ClassA misdemeanor to carry at any school (undefined in the statute), so if I carried and were caught I would be kicked out of school, lose any chance to go into my chosen career, possibly spend up to a year in jail, and be unable to carry in Texas for 5 years after my release.

So I will take my chances. When I drive to school I do carry and secure my gun in my vehicle--I have a car safe, and Texas law specifically says parking lots are OK for carry with a CHL; I just cannot carry in the buildings.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(Why does this say I voted on the poll before???)

I feel safe at work, BECAUSE I have to pass three armed checkpoints, swipe a badge three times, and key in a PIN twice to GET to my desk.

To/from work, only to the extent we most all feel "safe" - something is unlikely to happen.

Do I like it?? Not one bit.

I work on client site on a military base. My company, though, also prohibits weapons in their workspaces or parking lots. If I were planning to stay with them much longer, I'd be raising the issue, possibly even with the NRA since it's a massive company. If I'm in their parking lot, they'd have to get my permission to search, or break into my car. Neither is likely to happen.

zookeeperk9

imported post

Idrive a service truckfor an electrical contractor that provides 24 hour service. I am almost always alone and never know where my next call will be. The company has a no fire arms policy that I ignore. The company has no problem sending me into the roughest parts of town in the dead of night to perform[/b] emergency service calls, so I protect myself. I ccw[/b] on the clock and hide my pistol in the bottom of my lockable file box in the truck when I have to work at a school or a federal location. The company knows most of us that run service trucks carry, they look the other way as long as every body uses discretion.

joeroket

imported post

I work as a systems administrator for a public school district. I do feel safe as the only place that may have violence I go to has a Deputy Sheriff on site and he has no problems with drawing during a questionable event. Besides that I can't carry at work because I have to enter the buildings.

firearms_101

imported post

I am a consultant and do most of my work from home or out in the field but I do work PT as a bartender in MD. Unfortunately, open carry is not an option.:cuss:The bright note is that the owner would probably let me. There was an incident right before I started where an armed robbery occured...actually, that's why I have the job now. I know the owners and after the robbery alot of people quit, so I "filled in" while they were looking for new employees...I guess they're still looking!

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know in the back of my mind that everytime I step into the parking lot that anyone could be there. My office has a no carry policy that extends to your vehicle as well. After a couple of issues on the way home, I now leave it stowed in the vehicle in a pistol lock box. One of the higher ups knows, and supports it, but the company overall does not.

Our FSO is one of the I don't mind guns, just keep them away from me and my family types. In our previous discussions, she has stated her views in no uncertain terms. I tried to explain that our company policy does not legally change the fact that visitors and guests could be in the office armed without her even knowing.

I keep dropping hints about the fact that banning in the parking lot is stupid. We recently opened a small branch in KY. I immediately asked if the fact that KY law does not allow the banning of firearms in parking lots would impact our current policy... It seems the question has gotten lost in the noise FOR NOW...

I don't have a reason other than distrust of human kind not to feel safe at work. Our parking lot is near several construction sites and is near the end of a road. When I was working late a while back, I would ocassionally catch several cars parked in the far corner of the parking lot with lights off and engines running. I did not recognize any of the cars, so I assumed they didnt' belong. At least at that time of night, the doors require a badge and pin.

davew

imported post

Doesnt matter to me if I feel safe in work or not. I just don't feel safe keeping my pistols in my automobile unattended when I work 12 hours.

Bloencustoms

imported post

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in Louisiana, a firearm in a private automobile is considered contitutionally protected, even in a firearm free zone. As long as the gun doesn't leave the vehicle, it's ok. If it were not, you would technically be breaking the law by merely driving past a school, since the zone extends beyond school property.

XD Owner

imported post

At work I feel pretty safe. I work at the Embassy of the United States of America in Kuwait. Marine Security Guards 24/7 are the best, not to mention all of the controlled access points, bullet-resistant windows and doors, and you get the picture.

Now when I leave the compound, I wish I could at least conceal carry. And since I live off compound, I would like to keep a gun in my home, but this Ambassador will not allow it :banghead:.

Folks in Virginia, you really are lucky. The Second Amendment stops at the water's edge when it comes to Americans overseas. Stay safe everyone.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No luck getting a waiver from the Ambassador, eh, XDOwner?

357luvr

imported post

This was posted in another thread but I'll go ahead and throw it out there. I think it's foolish, dangerous, and irresponsible to leave a gun hidden under the seat or in the glove box or whatever for extended periods of time. Basically if you're going to leave it unattended for more than an hour, you need a safe of some sorts. This is what I suggest, it's cheap, it's simple, and about the only way a perp is going to get away with your gun is to steal the entire car or have a pair of bolt cutters. Check it out at http://www.center-of-mass.com/

There are others but this is by far the cheapest solution to your problem. I feel that every gun owner should have one!

paramedic70002

imported post

I work EMS 911 in a rural environment, day shift only. My employer (I am a contracted employee) has 2 firearms related policies. 1: No firearms on company property (I do not work on company property). 2. No acts of violence (self defense would probably be considered an act of violence). So, I can carry a firearm but not use it? Luckily I don't work nights, and we have very few "bad neighborhoods", so I feel safe to a point, but we all know that violence can happen anytime, and is more likely in an EMSsituation. Then there is the concern that a rowdy patient or bystander could see or access my weapon while I am working over, or restraining someone. Definitely would call for deep concealment. On the plis side, the Chief of the volunteer department where I work has told me that I can carry if I want, I just do not want to go to my boss for clarification.

tattedupboy

imported post

I live in Gary, IN which, for at least 10 of the past 11 years, has lead the nation in per capita homicide rate (homicides per 100,000 residents). I've lived here since 1989 and trust me, if you're a law abiding citizen, this is no place you'd want to live in without protection. My county is generally extremely hoplophobic, but fortunately, the state as a whole is quite friendly to gun owners and getting a license to carry is quite easy here; there is no training requirement, and a 4-year license costs $40 while a lifetime permit is $125.

Anyway I work as an armedsecurity guard at a currency exchange, where no less than $100,000 changes hands on a daily basis. Needless to say, in a city like Gary, a business like that is a target. In the two or three weeks before Christmas, there wasa rash of robberies, primarily at businesses, here in Gary, but fortunately, my job was not one of them. The clerks work behind bulletproof glass and I'm there approximately 30 hours per week, but nevertheless, I must admit that I do not always feel safe. I'm working on getting a bulletproof vest, but even still, my family constantly worries about my safety.