• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Time in Arizona

cato

imported post

Traveled to Phoenix for the Crossroads of the West gun show. As soon as I crossed the CA/AZ boarder I open carried for the three days I was in the state. I felt truly free for the first time in my life. I did not want to go back to California!!

OCed in my vehicle, at gas stations, my hotel, and I-HOP. Ihad to unload at the gun show per the organizers regulations. I had no problems.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I went to Phoenix last year and open carried with no problems at my four star hotel, gas stations, vehicle, and fast food places. Fun to open carry. I have a ccw from Texas, but if we don't exercise the right to open carry, one day we will lose it.

Jared

imported post

You will not have a problem in Arizona with open carry. I've done it in Yuma, Gila Bend, and a few other places. The states where it seems to be a problem is where it has not been practiced in a long time ie. Pennsylvania, Wyoming (open carry is unrestricted everywhere in the state).

By the way, what's all this talk about CA not letting you carry without a permit. According to People v Knight (2004), it is clear that open carry is ok without a permit in unincorporated areas of the state if there is no local law against the discharge of firearms. Granted this is pretty crappy, but depending where you are driving in the state, you have the means to carry without a permit in many areas.

cato

imported post

Jared wrote:
By the way, what's all this talk about CA not letting you carry without a permit. According to People v Knight (2004), it is clear that open carry is ok without a permit in unincorporated areas of the state if there is no local law against the discharge of firearms. Granted this is pretty crappy, but depending where you are driving in the state, you have the means to carry without a permit in many areas.

You could open carry(ammo seperate:()in downtown LA. No permit is required to OC in CA. Just have to read and understand some complex laws: PC, 12025, 12031, 171c & d, 626.9, 626.95, and 417 -stay off state park and fed park land and check the city codes before going in their parks too. Oh and don't go to a polling place or engage in job picketing action with your gun.

Jared

imported post

cato wrote:
Jared wrote:

You could open carry(ammo seperate:()in downtown LA. No permit is required to OC in CA. Just have to read and understand some complex laws: PC, 12025, 12031, 171c & d, 626.9, 626.95, and 417 -stay off state park and fed park land and check the city codes before going in their parks too. Oh and don't go to a polling place or engage in job picketing action with your gun.
The key here is that CA PC12025 does not apply at all to open carry in a holster, only 12031 applies. From my reading of that, it seems to be clear that a California CCW will enable one to open carry as well; however, no one seems to be aware of this.... LEO's included.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just open carried in Wyoming for two straight weeks (in Jackson). I saw your comment about Wyoming, but I can tell you nobody bothered me, and I spent a lot of time in Downtown Jackson.

hisandherrs

imported post

I OC home from work everyday riding my motorcycle in down town Phoenix, AZ. Works great, people tend to be nice around me and I around them. :D

Jared

imported post

Count wrote:
I just open carried in Wyoming for two straight weeks (in Jackson). I saw your comment about Wyoming, but I can tell you nobody bothered me, and I spent a lot of time in Downtown Jackson.
You won't have issue open carrying in Wyoming; however, you can open carry anywhere in the state. Even in places you can not CCW with a permit. If you open carry in these places, I doubt the LEO's (some of them) will understand the difference.