• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

might be in falls church next year

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

So if I make it up there, I'll look forward to hanging out with some of you and seeing the sights while being able to finally open carry. will be a big change from texas.

hirundo82

imported post

It is great to havethe freedom of not having to conceal all the time in Virginia. I always take the opportunity to OC when I'm back in Virginia visiting my parents.

Hopefully we can get a movement going to legalize it in Texas soon.

VAopencarry

imported post

Fairly high. The actual City of Falls Church is quite small, surrounded by Fairfax and Arlington counties. The average 2 bedroom apt rents for $1,600 per month in Falls Church.

"The median home cost in Falls Church is $667,000"

"Compared to the rest of the country, Falls Church's cost of living is 84.00% higher than the U.S. average."

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Profile.aspx?city=Falls_Church_VA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falls_Church,_Virginia

EDIT: For the heck of it I checked Houston and Dallas on the same bestplaces website. They are both below the U.S. average, so you might be in for some sticker shock here.:shock: You might want to look in the Fairfax area, while still high, a little bit more reasonable then FC.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thanks VAOpen, Not looking to actually move there, but I will have transportation so fairfax sounds like a much better option. I stayed at a EconomyStay America while doing a contract in Indianapolis and was hoping to do the same in Virginia. When I get more concrete info, i'd like to ask for some more help from people, if that's ok.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DK - Ask away. Feel free to PM me if I can help, too. I live in the eastern part of Fairfax County, and will be working in Fairfax starting in January.

If you're being reimbursed for lodging, or given a perdiem, you'll probably be in better shape than if you were to move here and try to compare a salary change.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IF, a big if, this position happens, i'm on my own for all expenses. This isn't a bad thing because of the pay i'll be making, but it will be a difficult start for the first month or two.

My main concern is having a roof over my head that I can afford. I stayed at a 'economystay america' in Indianapolis, which was 850 a month, but i'm hoping I can find a cheaper place around the falls church area. I'll have transportation of my own, so travel distance is not a big issue.

The only other thing i'll be looking for is people to hang around with and get used to the area there. I can't think of any better people than the ones who post here.

I'll post updates on what's going to happen as I get them. Cross your fingers for me, I need the job. :lol:

vermonter

imported post

Just leave it at home when your ina chapter/NHQ or on assignment with the ARC. They will terminate you instantly if you have a weapon. Same for volunteers.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If it happens, perhaps I could have a room available for rent, or someone else could. Keep in touch.