Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Travel to Maine

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    I am a new contributor. I live in N.Y. but I travel the entire region frequently, my kids are just old enough for my wife and I to really enjoy being with them for long trips. I have chosen Maine as a summer destination partly because it is a great OC state.

    We are a family of avid hikers, and will spend all day on the trail. I hike with a camelbak (also used for military - signed up after spending several days as EMTat WTC immed after 9/11) and my little SW Chief fits on my right hip just in front of the back pack.

    Came off the trail and decide not to conceal my Chief (have a Maine NR CCW), spendtime going from gas station to store to hotel office, etc. NO one says a word, as if it is perfectly natural, which I suspect it is. That's what I did the entire rest of the trip, until I hit Teddyland (Mass.) on the way home.

    ALL the locals shoot. Sellhunting ammoin a kid's clothing store!

    My kids think its really cool that daddy walks around like a cowboy. But that's not why I open carry. It's just a feeling that is so different from NY where anyone can drop a dime on you and jam up your permit.

    You talk about spending $ in gun friendly states, well I'm doing that by going to Maine.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    If you want to spend time and/or money in a gun-friendly state you can't do much better than Virginia. C'mon down, Ace! Bring the wife and young'uns!

  3. #3
    Regular Member vermonter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    Why does everyone on here put Virginia on a pedestal. A free state is one without bald headed type A cops pulling over everyone they can. I live in VT. They don't do it here, nor do they do it in Maine. I have driven through VA alot, and it sure looks like a police state to me. Every other mile marker has a light blue UC trooper with someone pulled over. You may have OC, but I'm sure the police would have you on the ground at gunpoint for OCif they were not told it was the "law of the land". I prefer VT, NH, ME and KY with their laid back cops.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I'll be traveling to Maine next month, but first I'll be headed to New Hampshire for the Free State Project's annual PorcFest, where I know I can open carry.

    But for Maine, is there any requirement that I be a citizen to do so?

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Timelord1776 wrote:
    I'll be traveling to Maine next month, but first I'll be headed to New Hampshire for the Free State Project's annual PorcFest, where I know I can open carry.

    But for Maine, is there any requirement that I be a citizen to do so?
    No, the priv. & immunities clause of the federal constitution takes care of that.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maryville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    vermonter wrote:
    Why does everyone on here put Virginia on a pedestal. A free state is one without bald headed type A cops pulling over everyone they can. I live in VT. They don't do it here, nor do they do it in Maine. I have driven through VA alot, and it sure looks like a police state to me. Every other mile marker has a light blue UC trooper with someone pulled over. You may have OC, but I'm sure the police would have you on the ground at gunpoint for OCif they were not told it was the "law of the land". I prefer VT, NH, ME and KY with their laid back cops.
    I have found the same to be true for me. Whenever I travel down south you see cops pulling people over everywhere. But rarely in NH and VT. Massachusetts, where I live is definitely a police state. When I come home from work there are state troopers everywhere stopping people. I usually meet between 4 and 6 cruisers on my way home. Its crazy.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NRA GOA LIFER
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    massltca wrote:
    vermonter wrote:
    Why does everyone on here put Virginia on a pedestal. A free state is one without bald headed type A cops pulling over everyone they can. I live in VT. They don't do it here, nor do they do it in Maine. I have driven through VA alot, and it sure looks like a police state to me. Every other mile marker has a light blue UC trooper with someone pulled over. You may have OC, but I'm sure the police would have you on the ground at gunpoint for OCif they were not told it was the "law of the land". I prefer VT, NH, ME and KY with their laid back cops.
    I have found the same to be true for me. Whenever I travel down south you see cops pulling people over everywhere. But rarely in NH and VT. Massachusetts, where I live is definitely a police state. When I come home from work there are state troopers everywhere stopping people. I usually meet between 4 and 6 cruisers on my way home. Its crazy.
    Vermont would be viewed as a wildly foot loose & fancy freehippy state in Canada where I come from. I have to duck below the 49th. every fall for a taste of freedom and dust off my ME, NH, PA, UT CCW permits. Under most circumstances in Canada when I'm not actually at the firing line of a Government approved range I would be in serious trouble if my handguns weren't trigger locked and secured in a steel safe at my residence(no where else allowed). Concealed or even Open Carry of handguns...........The stuff Canuck day dreams are made of.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lake Zurich, IL, ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Hey our Canadian friend, you guys aren't the only ones dreaming that. Come on down to Illinois. I'm sure you'd feel right at home. :P

    Seriously though, I can't wait to get back to Free America, and out of the People's Republic of Daleystan. Many people get trouble for OCing in Maine?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •