• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel to Maine

ACE

imported post

I am a new contributor. I live in N.Y. but I travel the entire region frequently, my kids are just old enough for my wife and I to really enjoy being with them for long trips. I have chosen Maine as a summer destination partly because it is a great OC state.

We are a family of avid hikers, and will spend all day on the trail. I hike with a camelbak (also used for military - signed up after spending several days as EMTat WTC immed after 9/11) and my little SW Chief fits on my right hip just in front of the back pack.

Came off the trail and decide not to conceal my Chief (have a Maine NR CCW), spendtime going from gas station to store to hotel office, etc. NO one says a word, as if it is perfectly natural, which I suspect it is. That's what I did the entire rest of the trip, until I hit Teddyland (Mass.) on the way home.

ALL the locals shoot. Sellhunting ammoin a kid's clothing store!

My kids think its really cool that daddy walks around like a cowboy. But that's not why I open carry. It's just a feeling that is so different from NY where anyone can drop a dime on you and jam up your permit.

You talk about spending $ in gun friendly states, well I'm doing that by going to Maine.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you want to spend time and/or money in a gun-friendly state you can't do much better than Virginia. C'mon down, Ace! Bring the wife and young'uns! :D

vermonter

imported post

Why does everyone on here put Virginia on a pedestal. A free state is one without bald headed type A cops pulling over everyone they can. I live in VT. They don't do it here, nor do they do it in Maine. I have driven through VA alot, and it sure looks like a police state to me. Every other mile marker has a light blue UC trooper with someone pulled over. You may have OC, but I'm sure the police would have you on the ground at gunpoint for OCif they were not told it was the "law of the land". I prefer VT, NH, ME and KY with their laid back cops.

Timelord1776

imported post

I'll be traveling to Maine next month, but first I'll be headed to New Hampshire for the Free State Project's annual PorcFest, where I know I can open carry.

But for Maine, is there any requirement that I be a citizen to do so?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Timelord1776 wrote:
I'll be traveling to Maine next month, but first I'll be headed to New Hampshire for the Free State Project's annual PorcFest, where I know I can open carry.

But for Maine, is there any requirement that I be a citizen to do so?
No, the priv. & immunities clause of the federal constitution takes care of that.

massltca

imported post

vermonter wrote:
Why does everyone on here put Virginia on a pedestal. A free state is one without bald headed type A cops pulling over everyone they can. I live in VT. They don't do it here, nor do they do it in Maine. I have driven through VA alot, and it sure looks like a police state to me. Every other mile marker has a light blue UC trooper with someone pulled over. You may have OC, but I'm sure the police would have you on the ground at gunpoint for OCif they were not told it was the "law of the land". I prefer VT, NH, ME and KY with their laid back cops.
I have found the same to be true for me. Whenever I travel down south you see cops pulling people over everywhere. But rarely in NH and VT. Massachusetts, where I live is definitely a police state. When I come home from work there are state troopers everywhere stopping people. I usually meet between 4 and 6 cruisers on my way home. Its crazy.

pricedo

imported post

massltca wrote:
vermonter wrote:
I have found the same to be true for me. Whenever I travel down south you see cops pulling people over everywhere. But rarely in NH and VT. Massachusetts, where I live is definitely a police state. When I come home from work there are state troopers everywhere stopping people. I usually meet between 4 and 6 cruisers on my way home. Its crazy.
Vermont would be viewed as a wildly foot loose & fancy freehippy state in Canada where I come from. I have to duck below the 49th. every fall for a taste of freedom and dust off my ME, NH, PA, UT CCW permits. Under most circumstances in Canada when I'm not actually at the firing line of a Government approved range I would be in serious trouble if my handguns weren't trigger locked and secured in a steel safe at my residence(no where else allowed). Concealed or even Open Carry of handguns...........The stuff Canuck day dreams are made of.

LaneAtomic

imported post

Hey our Canadian friend, you guys aren't the only ones dreaming that. Come on down to Illinois. I'm sure you'd feel right at home. :p

Seriously though, I can't wait to get back to Free America, and out of the People's Republic of Daleystan. Many people get trouble for OCing in Maine?