• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled for the first time tonight.

possumboy

imported post

Was unloading the family from the minivan and heard lots of russling and sounds coming towards us out of the dark.

I thought the sounds were like a bunch of dogs, so I pulled and started making lots of noise to the scare off the animals. I was louding saying, get in the house, get behind me, cover your ears if I have to shoot.

I was saying this as I pulled my gun. I had changed clothes and my gun was not ready, so I had to pull the slide to get the first round in the chamber (I know bad possumboy - I will not make that mistake again. I was trying to be quiet in the changing room). I did this as I started making noise.

The sounds stopped, and the russling started moving quickly away from us. Everyone made it into the house and my wife said she thought it sounded like people making the noise, not dogs.

Because of this, and the fact that I'm almost legally deaf, I called the police to report what happened. Twoofficers arrived and I explained what happened:
We got home.
We heard movement towards us and strange noises - I thought it sound like multiple dogs, my wife thinks it sounded like people.
I pulled my gun, started making lots of loud noises, and placed myself between the noise and my family.
The sounds stopped, and the movement retreated.

I then told the officers that I called them because if it was people, I wanted them to know what happen, not something like "we were just walking around and this guy pulled a gun on us." And if it was dogs, animal control needs to know about them before the hurt someone.

I had my gun on my hip the entire time I was talking the police. The only thing that was said about me having it was "You have every right to pull it, especially on your own property."

I didn't tell them that I carried my HK Red Lion (12 guage Semi-Auto)when I had to go back to the van to get diapers before they arrived. Like they say, I don't carry because I expect trouble, if I was expecting trouble, I would have my shotgun.

I was very happy about how things went, I did light up the house before the police arrived, kept my distance until the approached, and kept my hand in front of me where they could see them until the conversation between us started. This is what it is all about, what everyone in America should experience if they every have to pull.

357luvr

imported post

Did you ever point the gun in any direction or just have it ready? Were you disarmed while talking to the police? From the way I read your post, I don't think you were which means that you've got much nicer cops than I do!:cuss:Assuming you didn't start pointing the gun in the general direction, I think you did the right thing. The reason I say this is because I think it would be dangerous to point the gun at something you're unsure of. I think a 'half draw' would've been appropriate. What I mean by that is having the gun pointed at the ground half way between the target and your feet. I practice this technique often and with practice, you can be on target, ready to fire almost instantaniously (sp?)

Either way, I was worried by the title of your post but I'm glad to see everything worked out okay. Also, good thinking by calling the cops. A good rule of thumb is if you pull your gun, you call the cops!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Glad it turned out ok. You should look for spore in the morning and see if there are any footprints or cigarette butts or the like. There's an off chance you might figure out what it was. Unfortunately if was bad guys they now know you have weapons, hopefully they won't be looking for them when you aren't around. If it was a pack of coyotes and we do have them in NOVA, make sure your little ones aren't playing unsupervised outside. Coyotes won't attack adults normally but they will go after little kids. http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Was unloading the family from the minivan and heard lots of russling and sounds coming towards us out of the dark.
Everybody say it with me now... F L A S H L I G H T !!! :D

I would also suggest that if this were to happen again you should get the family back into the vehicle - doors locked and engine running - while you check things out or join them and call 911.

LoveMyCountry

possumboy

imported post

Answer to the questions:

I only pointed at the ground. I didn't have a target, so there was nothing to pointat and I didn't want to be "sweeping" my gun back and forth. The police did not even question that I had a gun, they were not worried - see comment from one of the officers. The gun wasn't even a secondary concern to them. The officers' concerns were for the safety of my family and myself. What you should expect from police officers.

Still dark before leaving for work. I amgoing to look around when I get home from work. Hopefully I will see something. I looked and coyotes have only been reported/spotted in PG county, MD and out in Manassas, VA.

The mag light was in the van. We were in the middle of unloading the vanand the time it would have taken to get the flashlight, I didn't know if I would have it. It was a shorter distant to the house, than to get back in the van for most of the family. I've carried a mag light since I was 16. The flashlight was used after the family was inside and safe.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Last I heard they had been spotted in every county in Virginia, 2 years ago we had one attacking pets here in Falls Church. I had an encounter with that one myself, nothing happened and I didn't know it was a coyote at the time. Imagine my surprise when I read some people had pets attacked by it the next week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21882-2004Jul1.html
"At the West Falls Church Metro station, a Lhasa apso was set upon by a coyote as the dog was being walked by its owner Monday night. The man was able to protect the dog by throwing rocks at the coyote to scare it off, Keenan said."
"Nearby, a cat was killed in front of its owner in late May by a pair of coyotes. The woman screamed and thought she had scared them off, but they circled around the house and went after her other two cats in the back yard. She was able to get those pets inside."

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/habitat/landowners/infosheets/coyote.pdf
PEOPLE: Approaching any wildlife may provoke an encounter if the animal feels cornered or restricted in movement. This is
particularly true of animals that have become accustomed to the presence of humans and their activities as a consequence of being
fed, or because of access to a readily available food source such as pet food or refuse in a garbage can or compost pile. Be aware
that coyotes in other eastern states have attacked and severely injured small toddlers when left unattended for even a
short period of time. Although the likelihood of such an attack is very remote, never leave small children unattended in
areas frequented by coyotes.

Consider removing habitat that provides protective cover for coyotes and their prey such as small rodents. Modifying such habitat
around residential areas will dissuade coyotes from using the space as a part of a territory or home range and will reduce the
likelihood of conflicts.
PETS: The territorial nature of predatory coyotes poses a real risk to small, free-roaming dogs and cats. Keep small dogs
restrained on a leash when walking them outdoors and avoid walking in areas where coyotes are raising their pups from March –
A ugust. Be aware that there have been a few recorded instances of coyotes attacking small dogs on a leash.
Small dogs and cats are also vulnerable to attacks by coyotes when tethered outside of your house or even on your porch.
Small
dogs and cats should be kept in an enclosure when kept outdoors in order to prevent coyotes from attacking and killing a pet
animal. Even though a fence may dissuade coyotes from attacking your pet, be aware that coyotes can jump over fences
less than 7-feet high and can climb over taller fencing that does not have an outward slanting overhang.

Bolt06

imported post

possumboynice reaction.. I think the actions taken were warranted and well executed. (flashlight comment.....I don't know the landscape of your home, however, with my home i have a motion sensor flood light that lights up the entire front side of the home. only an idea of what works for me.)..

Well Done. Glad everthing turned out ok and nothing went south.

possumboy

imported post

Well, did find some footprints. Mainly going away from house was a lot of leaves kicked and knocked around. Doesn't look good for the coyote theory that I wanted.