• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5th ciruit opinion. Read the part about RKBA

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Shawn, what we're dealing with concerning Emerson is that the 5th circuit seems to have taken it upon themselves to provide limited relief for gun owners in the face of the USSC turning down good 2nd amendment cases, however, the Emerson decision included the following,

[align=left]“[T]he Second Amendment’s right to bear arms is subject to ‘limited, narrowly tailored specific exceptions or restrictions for particular cases that are reasonable and not inconsistent with the right of Americans generally to individually keep and bear their private arms as historically understood in this country.’”[/align]
[align=left]This is worded to ensure that the 5th can decide on a case by case basis whether the 2nd can apply to a case they wish it to, i.e. somebody who was not doing something else morally or ethically objectionable at the time. This type of judicial tyranny has been something we've been dealing with since Marbury v. Madison, the social engineering by judiciary fiat, and will most likely continue for decades to come.[/align]