Thread: IWB and open carry?

Post imported post

Is it okay to use an IWB holster while still open carrying?

Post imported post

What state?

Post imported post

arizona

Post imported post

Arizona is an open carry state. Handguns should be holstered when not actually in use to avoid issues related to brandishing or questions regarding the concealed nature of the firearm. The law states that as long as a portion of the holster is visible, the weapon is not concealed. It is recommended that at least 2-3 inches of the holster be visible. Fanny packs designed to carry a handgun do not qualify as a holster; only permit holders may carry a weapon in a fanny pack (State v. Moerman).

I took this off packing.org so it sounds to me like it would not be legal. The wording is funny though and I did not read the actual case or the law. So personally I would not without a CWP but I will defer to the experts on this one. Sounds like it woulden't be though because with most IWB holsters the holster itself is usually not visible or is barely visible.

---edited to add-----
    If you have a CWP though you would be fine.

Post imported post

I have the exact same question but rergarding North Carolina. In fact I just registered here to ask this specific question. I have a CCW permit and I only have IWB holsters. Seems to me I would be covered either way, but I don't want to wind up in some legal no man's land. I guess my big question is does open carry require that the holster and gun be fully exposed?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I think unless there was someplace or situation where OC was allowed but CC was not, you wouldn't have anything to worry about. AFAIK there is no such place in NC.

Post imported post

I have nothing to add from a legal standing point, but I would only OC a IWB holsterwith a thumb break or other retention system.