• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB and open carry?

badmonkey

imported post

Arizona is an open carry state. Handguns should be holstered when not actually in use to avoid issues related to brandishing or questions regarding the concealed nature of the firearm. The law states that as long as a portion of the holster is visible, the weapon is not concealed. It is recommended that at least 2-3 inches of the holster be visible. Fanny packs designed to carry a handgun do not qualify as a holster; only permit holders may carry a weapon in a fanny pack (State v. Moerman).

I took this off packing.org so it sounds to me like it would not be legal. The wording is funny though and I did not read the actual case or the law. So personally I would not without a CWP but I will defer to the experts on this one. Sounds like it woulden't be though because with most IWB holsters the holster itself is usually not visible or is barely visible.

---edited to add-----
If you have a CWP though you would be fine.

OpFlash

imported post

I have the exact same question but rergarding North Carolina. In fact I just registered here to ask this specific question. I have a CCW permit and I only have IWB holsters. Seems to me I would be covered either way, but I don't want to wind up in some legal no man's land. I guess my big question is does open carry require that the holster and gun be fully exposed?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think unless there was someplace or situation where OC was allowed but CC was not, you wouldn't have anything to worry about. AFAIK there is no such place in NC.