• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Michigan

muledoe

imported post

New to the forum and love it. I have been reading a lot of information on the forum and am somewhat confused on the topic of open-carrying a pistol with a CPL.

I live in michgan and understand that the pistol has to be conseal at all times. As i have been reading though "Summary
Michigan is a traditional open carry state. Open carry is more common in rural areas. You may NOT open carry in a car without a permit. However, Michigan recognizes the resident permits of all 50 states." says that we are a open carry state., then why cant we open carry? I know if u are in your car it can be any and open (dont have to hide it)

Also if i am traveling i know that states have their own laws. I was just wondering whats a good site to read up on what their own laws are on carrys and if i have to keep it shown at all times on me or in car.

Leader

imported post

Michigan IS an open carry state.

If you have a CPL, you DO NOT have to keep your handgun conceled. If you have a CPL you MAY cover your hand gun & you don't have to worry when you get into a vehicle.

By MI law, you may ONLY transport a handgun to & from a range or repair shop. To get a "Safety Inspection", or to & from a legal hunting place with a license. When transporting, it MUST be LOCKED in a case & in the trunk or not accesable toany occupent of the vehicle.It also must be UNLOADED & the ammo stored seperate.

All this doesn't apply IF you have the CPL.

Have you gone to http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php? yet ?